Sportsnet: This is our match in a 24 team format! now NHLPA approved

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
So we have to win a series against an even team for the privilege to play the top team in the east....yeah, that seems fair.
What knucklehead thought that this is a good format?

Another concern is Freddy sux in September. Will this be like September all over again??

Anyways lets get this going so Elliotte Friedman can get a shave and a haircut already

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
So we have to win a series against an even team for the privilege to play the top team in the east....yeah, that seems fair.
What knucklehead thought that this is a good format?

Another concern is Freddy sux in September. Will this be like September all over again??

Anyways lets get this going so Elliotte Friedman can get a shave and a haircut already

Knuckleheads are the NHL, PA and the Return to play committee as they all need to sign off.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Of course.......

The NHL just can't get enough Boston Toronto matchups. No matter what happens, it's always Boston. Let's face it, we aren't winning anything it seems until we get through them. This is all assuming we beat Columbus and I have big doubts we do. They also play a heavier brand of hockey.

to be fair.... how is their heavier brand going to work in this time? No scrums, I doubt checking and grinding will be the same.

It’s a skill league.... and now the playoffs will probably favour skill.

of course if Freddie plays like October Freddie it doesn’t matter......:

Also. Why would we play Boston first round?

wouldn’t Boston play the lowest seed? I what is an upset happens?

Why wouldn’t they re-seed? They are all in the same city

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
to be fair.... how is their heavier brand going to work in this time? No scrums, I doubt checking and grinding will be the same.

It’s a skill league.... and now the playoffs will probably favour skill.

of course if Freddie plays like October Freddie it doesn’t matter......:

Also. Why would we play Boston first round?

wouldn’t Boston play the lowest seed? I what is an upset happens?

Why wouldn’t they re-seed? They are all in the same city

They're redoing the seeding 1-8. We apparently have the 8th lowest point percentage in the East (??) so we'd have to play 9th place Columbus. Winner of that series has to play the top conference seed like in the old days I believe. So 1. Boston vs. 8. Toronto/Columbus

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
They're redoing the seeding 1-8. We apparently have the 8th lowest point percentage in the East (??) so we'd have to play 9th place Columbus. Winner of that series has to play the top conference seed like in the old days I believe. So 1. Boston vs. 8. Toronto/Columbus

but seed
5 plays 12
6 plays 11
7 plays 10
8 plays 9

If the 3 dogs win and the leafs win....

Then.
1 plays 8
2 plays 12
3 plays.11
4 plays. 10

that would make no sense....... why would The top seed play the highest ranked in the first round of the playoffs?

if the top 4 are guaranteed first round. And the other teams play in....:

Then Boston should play the lowest seed of the winners

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
but seed
5 plays 12
6 plays 11
7 plays 10
8 plays 9

Then.
1 plays 8
2 plays 12
3 plays.11
4 plays. 10

that would make no sense....... why would The top seed play the highest ranked in the first round of the playoffs?

They specifically said reseeding will not be done. You make a good point though. Maybe I don’t understand it right

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Lots of pros and cons for the Leafs:

1. PRO: No crowds. (We have one of the worst crowds in the league, so this is an advantage leafs.)
2. CON: Less penalties will be called. (German soccer league just restarted and they found that the refs were blowing the whistle far less. With no crowd making the call for them, refs are less likely to blow the whistle). This sucks even more against CBJ.
3. PRO: Players out of shape favours the younger team, as it finds its legs quicker. We're young.
4. CON: September Freddy
5. PRO: Rested Freddy in the playoffs for a change
6. CON: Have to win an extra series to get to the cup
7. PRO: The team that wins the first series will be more ready for round 2 than the rusty team getting the bye
8. PRO: Usually less defensive structure to start a season. More open hockey. Favours the Leafs.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Lots of pros and cons for the Leafs:

1. PRO: No crowds. (We have one of the worst crowds in the league, so this is an advantage leafs.)
2. CON: Less penalties will be called. (German soccer league just restarted and they found that the refs were blowing the whistle far less. With no crowd making the call for them, refs are less likely to blow the whistle). This sucks even more against CBJ.
3. PRO: Players out of shape favours the younger team, as it finds its legs quicker. We're young.
4. CON: September Freddy
5. PRO: Rested Freddy in the playoffs for a change
6. CON: Have to win an extra series to get to the cup
7. PRO: The team that wins the first series will be more ready for round 2 than the rusty team getting the bye
8. PRO: Usually less defensive structure to start a season. More open hockey. Favours the Leafs.

The first round is not the playoffs, it’s a play in ,best of 5, teams ranked 1-4 play a round robin to stay fresh, and maybe seeding for top 4

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
They specifically said reseeding will not be done. You make a good point though. Maybe I don’t understand it right

I personally think the way that comes down is

the 3 games will be considered a play IN. Not playOFF

The 3 games determine the 16 teams in the playOFFS.

those 8 in each conference will be originally seeded 1-8....

then no re seeds.

Lebrun said they are specifically differentiating the between playoff and play in..... he didn’t say why but i think it’s for seeding and the draft.

If the draft is held post season the teams that don’t make it are in the lottery too.

not confirmed but that’s what I got out of it.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I
but seed
5 plays 12
6 plays 11
7 plays 10
8 plays 9

Then.
1 plays 8
2 plays 12
3 plays.11
4 plays. 10

if the top 4 are guaranteed first round. And the other teams play in....:

Then Boston should play the lowest seed of the winners
I was thinking this as well. Not sure why the lowest seeded first round matchup gets to play the lowest rated seed who gets a bye in round 1

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
This sounds awful. Columbus and boston....the two teams we play awful against. How does montreal have the same chance as us to make the playoffs?

Cancel this season. Start fresh and SAFE next year
2 series of sh*tty grind it out, trap it up, small ice hockey which we do not like to play ... I'm with you if that's how da poweres dat be want it then i hope da HUB city gets a massive hit of COVID and da whole mess gets shut down ... i was looking forward to an up tempo skating and skill match up against Tampa which we have a good shot at winning

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
This a joke. Its not safe to start playing right now obviously. No fans. No parades. No bars open. No celebrations. No drinking from the cup. No kissing the cup. No passing it around. Its not gonna feel the same.

If they indeed move ahead, I hope the leafs get swept right away.

Then ill cheer for crosby to get another cup to his list. It wont mean the same but he has won many others already. Plus I wouldnt care as much.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
giphy.gif

Seras

Dubas supporter
Sep 1, 2015
New Westminster, BC. Canada
2 series of sh*tty grind it out, trap it up, small ice hockey which we do not like to play ... I'm with you if that's how da poweres dat be want it then i hope da HUB city gets a massive hit of COVID and da whole mess gets shut down ... i was looking forward to an up tempo skating and skill match up against Tampa which we have a good shot at winning

I hope the season is cancelled as well, just not the COVID part cause people getting sick and/or dying is a bad thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad