Sportsnet: This is our match in a 24 team format! now NHLPA approved

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Toronto is literally the last City to be a hub City in Canada.
I understand Toronto got all the hardware for board cast and stuff by since there will be no fans at the game, why TO?
Edmonton seems ideal due to having a hotel with direct access to the Ice.

Edmonton would be the best choice of the options they listed.

If it requires an exemption from Trudeau to allow travel without quarantine though.... forget it.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Edmonton would be the best choice of the options they listed.

If it requires an exemption from Trudeau to allow travel without quarantine though.... forget it.
I don’t think players and staff should have exemptions. The quarantine is for their own safety too.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
upload_2020-6-22_20-25-41.jpeg

There are some real upsets possible in this. New York Rangers can win that series but i bet not many think so.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
View attachment 351103

There are some real upsets possible in this. New York Rangers can win that series but i bet not many think so.

I don't think you could be all that surprised by any outcome as this is so unique you could almost flip a coin best of 5 winner. Despite Montreal 71 points taking on 86 point Pens, Price could steal a few games himself and Crosby could be golfing and that is the biggest mismatch.

I think these series because of the long layoff and the training camp in the middle you could almost be like the first 5 games of a new regular season than the last 5 games of one.

This season record of the each eastern team first 5 games of the regular season 2019-20

Toronto 2W-3L
Columbus 2-3

Carolina 5-0
Rangers 2-3

Pittsburgh 3-2
Montreal 2-3

Islanders 2-3
Florida 1-4

Only 2 Eastern teams started with a record > .500 Carolina and Pittsburgh with the majority starting 2-3 which makes for interesting 5 games series if that trend hold true.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I mean it is possible all 4 lower seeded teams win. Price gets red hot and wins 3 and its over for Pens and same for Bobbo. Rangers and Columbus have a fighters chance but I would not take those bets on.

Last season even without a Covid-19 interruption 3 of the 4 favourites of the Eastern conference of Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh and Washington all went out in round #1 and 2 of those were by 4 game sweeps to the underdogs. Even in normal conditions nothing is a sure thing.

So all bets are off now, even to know what will happen in a best of 5 series and what level of play to expect after such a long stoppage.

What makes it even odder now is that some teams like Montreal and NYR were sellers at the TD thinking their seasons were over and now because of this new 24 team play-in format still have chances to make the playoffs and been given a second chance.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Since this is going to be a "novel" play-off format, IMO "upsets" will become debatable.
It's almost feels like a whole new season except this will actually result in something of value being won.:sarcasm:

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I don't think you could be all that surprised by any outcome as this is so unique you could almost flip a coin best of 5 winner. Despite Montreal 71 points taking on 86 point Pens, Price could steal a few games himself and Crosby could be golfing and that is the biggest mismatch.

I think these series because of the long layoff and the training camp in the middle you could almost be like the first 5 games of a new regular season than the last 5 games of one.

This season record of the each eastern team first 5 games of the regular season 2019-20

Toronto 2W-3L
Columbus 2-3

Carolina 5-0
Rangers 2-3

Pittsburgh 3-2
Montreal 2-3

Islanders 2-3
Florida 1-4

Only 2 Eastern teams started with a record > .500 Carolina and Pittsburgh with the majority starting 2-3 which makes for interesting 5 games series if that trend hold true.
This could be a strange qualifier that is strange momentum wise. No fans means no momentum other than who is scoring more in a dead building. Just the noise on the bench and likely not as much physical play which is definitely stoked by fans. Its going to be weird.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Montreal too. They have a lot of question marks, but if they all go their way, especially Price, they can take a run at Pittsburg for sure.
They could for sure because price can steal a series. He’s a wildcard by himself but Montreal is a hard working team with a lack of scoring but they defend well and transition the puck well. I agree

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad