Sportsnet: This is our match in a 24 team format! now NHLPA approved

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
None of the big money leagues are going to stop because of one positive test.

Doubtless that everyone involved will be tested regularly as a part of this and removed from participating if they test positive even if asymptomatic.

They will stop if a player, a coach or someone from the event staff gets hospitalized from it.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
None of the big money leagues are going to stop because of one positive test.

Yep. That’s what they say.

However, they would have to follow contact tracing protocols.

And we do have a thing called the Quarantine Act.

Never mind the fact that the affected player(s) wouldn’t be physically capable of playing with high fevers and body aches. I’m assuming mild cases here.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Doubtless that everyone involved will be tested regularly as a part of this and removed from participating if they test positive even if asymptomatic.

They will stop if a player, a coach or someone from the event staff gets hospitalized from it.

Seems like the odds of awarding the cup are slim if this is true. The odds of even one round being completed probably aren't great either.

The NHL is going to look silly if they spend all this time and energy planning, debating, reaching agreement, training, choosing hubs, scheduling etc. and then 1 positive test and the thing is over. What a clusterf***.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Seems like the odds of awarding the cup are slim if this is true. The odds of even one round being completed probably aren't great either.

The NHL is going to look silly if they spend all this time and energy planning, debating, reaching agreement, training, choosing hubs, scheduling etc. and then 1 positive test and the thing is over. What a clusterf***.

Just in case there's any confusion, any of these thoughts are entirely my own speculation. I just can't see how any glitch/setback isn't treated as a major thing when something is being done so cautiously.

And why would the NHL (and other leagues) be working on the complicated logistics of a summer return of the playoffs? Well, the NHL is lousy with executives, logistical staff, lawyers, other permanent staff. They are presumably still being paid. Why not give them something to do even if it's merely an exercise? It's probably great practice identifying all of the variables that have to be addressed for the time when the league actually does start in the future. Plus it's a note of optimism for their customers and helps keep the brand in the news.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Just in case there's any confusion, any of these thoughts are entirely my own speculation. I just can't see how any glitch/setback isn't treated as a major thing when something is being done so cautiously.

And why would the NHL (and other leagues) be working on the complicated logistics of a summer return of the playoffs? Well, the NHL is lousy with executives, logistical staff, lawyers, other permanent staff. They are presumably still being paid. Why not give them something to do even if it's merely an exercise? It's probably great practice identifying all of the variables that have to be addressed for the time when the league actually does start in the future. Plus it's a note of optimism for their customers and helps keep the brand in the news.

Yup, a lot of unknowns here, interesting thoughts. And I'll say that when I heard Bettman was making an announcement yesterday, my immediate reaction was that I doubt there is much hard news coming, it's probably all about ... keeping the brand in the news. :)

Reactions: ACC1224

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

A setback would be a significant kick in the pants. Particularly if they try to build a business model around advertising.

I don't think the games themselves are the issue.

It's keeping players and staff from testing positive while they live for months in spaces together. An outbreak within a team causing forfeits? This summer Cup will already have an asterisk around it. Imagine if you win a series by forfeit?

They also will potentially have a Public Relations problem in the USA.

NHL is requiring all players and staff to wear face masks when not on the ice. Down there, a particular party is trying to turn this into a political spectrum fight.

I mean, I hope seeing sports stars wearing masks would be good for their society and they could see the folly in some of the violence that this has sparked.

At the same time, you might alienate elements of your fanbase who are caught up in the politics of it all.

I don't see a lot of good coming from a rush to hand out the Cup this year.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
‘There was always the possibility that the Leafs could miss the playoffs and have no pick.

True, but then what is the logic behind the need to deal Marleau's 1 year remaining contract at the extreme cost of your 1st round pick?

Its a needless and useless sacrifice that didn't avoid failure and achieved nothing in the big picture if this were the actual outcome.

The only way to sell this sacrifice is to offset it with a playoff run as a cost of doing business to achieve success.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I still don't get the point.

It's almost June. We don't need to give out a Cup every year.

Any team that wins... including ours... will have an asterisk around it.

Just focus on next season if you can.

I'll watch and all but it's like they will have a preseason tournament and then award a Cup afterwards.

And if a player tests positive... that shuts down the series.

Not feeling the love for this at all. I miss my sports but yeah... this is in the bad idea jar. Appreciate the effort and all.
We won't play next season without fans in stands. Da owners do not want to fund losses. So until there is a cure or vaccine next season is a pipe dream. We are getting a little break for a few months before COVID comes back in 2nd wave in late fall. So best for NHL to not take a loss this year by having to pay back its TV/media contracts. And da players will keep their salaries earned less 14% escrow and last paycheck. Then we will sit tight until we have cure/vaccine. Without one there will not be a 2020/21 NHL season.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
True, but then what is the logic behind the need to deal Marleau's 1 year remaining contract at the extreme cost of your 1st round pick?

Its a needless and useless sacrifice that didn't avoid failure and achieved nothing in the big picture if this were the actual outcome.

The only way to sell this sacrifice is to offset it with a playoff run as a cost of doing business to achieve success.

The logic was being able to sign players like Kapanen (who is worth more than a 1st round pick).

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
How could a player test positive and those who have come in contact with him (primarily teammates) not be subjected to a 14-day quarantine? One thing I'm not understanding nor convinced on.
To be totally cynical, because of that which is the root of all evil. They'd quarantine the player and maybe some support staff, but not the other players.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
We won't play next season without fans in stands. Da owners do not want to fund losses. So until there is a cure or vaccine next season is a pipe dream. We are getting a little break for a few months before COVID comes back in 2nd wave in late fall. So best for NHL to not take a loss this year by having to pay back its TV/media contracts. And da players will keep their salaries earned less 14% escrow and last paycheck. Then we will sit tight until we have cure/vaccine. Without one there will not be a 2020/21 NHL season.

If there are no fans in the stands... I wonder if they will go to a pay per view model?

Games only available on Center Ice

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
How could a player test positive and those who have come in contact with him (primarily teammates) not be subjected to a 14-day quarantine? One thing I'm not understanding nor convinced on.

That's the thing. A contract trace would require anyone in contact to isolate themselves.

We do have a quarantine act. Exceptions to this act would simply open up the floodgates to both social defiance and political suicide (what's the point of restricting movement to the point of a massive recession if you are going to allow Mitch Marner or Carey Price to side step the rules?)

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
That's the thing. A contract trace would require anyone in contact to isolate themselves.

We do have a quarantine act. Exceptions to this act would simply open up the floodgates to both social defiance and political suicide (what's the point of restricting movement to the point of a massive recession if you are going to allow Mitch Marner or Carey Price to side step the rules?)
I'm guessing the NHL's workaround to that is getting some kind of a waiver, or not having a hub city in Canada.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I'm guessing the NHL's workaround to that is getting some kind of a waiver, or not having a hub city in Canada.

Your issue if you have a hub city in the USA... you increase the chances that your team(s) gets infected in the communities they are staying in.

Putting your league in the epicenter of the virus with mobility increasing and 18 of the states with an upward trend isn't a smart idea.

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
It’s interesting how you can hear the soccer players with no audience, I can’t imagine what we’ll hear in a hockey series lmao. To bad we don’t have Leo and Kadri churping Marchand or Torterella on blue jackets

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
If there are no fans in the stands... I wonder if they will go to a pay per view model?

They might for games not under contract to Comcast, Rogers and also local team TV/media deals. Those games would be excluded. I wonder how many those would be? and my guess they are a lot of SJ vs Florida type games. But good idea to get a little more.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Your issue if you have a hub city in the USA... you increase the chances that your team(s) gets infected in the communities they are staying in.

Putting your league in the epicenter of the virus with mobility increasing and 18 of the states with an upward trend isn't a smart idea.
I would prefer we do not have it here in Toronto. Let Columbus or Pittsburgh have it.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I would imagine they will keep it all in the US.

It doesn’t have to be in a large arena though.

A junior rink would be fine.

In fact, NHL said they could do a lot more with viewing angles and innovation in a smaller rink.

Biggest challenge there are the logistics to house players, feed ‘em and keep them apart when off the rink.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
but the 40% reduction paying in canadian dollar
Would be nice for them. Get as much back as u can
That is my biggest fear. If that is case then give it to Edmonton. They really want it and games are going to be played everyday at all hours anywho. So first game at noon. Then 4 pm. Then 8 pm. Gives them enough time to super clean all dressing rooms between games.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

I'm sure the sports fan cable subscribers will be totally cool with paying extra to see hockey games after zero live sports being shown across their sports cable package for past 3 months.

OT: Wait until the fall and there's no new content on any channels including Netflix. Cable companies and streaming services will start hemorrhaging subscribers. Broadcast networks may start looking at consolidating or shutting down completely.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I'm sure the sports fan cable subscribers will be totally cool with paying extra to see hockey games after zero live sports being shown across their sports cable package for past 3 months.

OT: Wait until the fall and there's no new content on any channels including Netflix. Cable companies and streaming services will start hemorrhaging subscribers. Broadcast networks may start looking at consolidating or shutting down completely.
How much would you pay to watch florida play isles from Vegas at 11 pm EST or 8 pm Vegas time? Me notta nickel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad