Sportsnet: This is our match in a 24 team format! now NHLPA approved

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I would imagine they will keep it all in the US.
Just listened to Daly talk and league would prefer 1 Canadian and 1 US hub city. If Vegas is in like flint then it sounds like they are waiting on Trudeau before giving TO the other HUB. D*mn. I am hoping for Edmonton and Pittsburgh.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Just listened to Daly talk and league would prefer 1 Canadian and 1 US hub city. If Vegas is in like flint then it sounds like they are waiting on Trudeau before giving TO the other HUB. D*mn. I am hoping for Edmonton and Pittsburgh.
Toronto is literally the last City to be a hub City in Canada.
I understand Toronto got all the hardware for board cast and stuff by since there will be no fans at the game, why TO?
Edmonton seems ideal due to having a hotel with direct access to the Ice.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Toronto is literally the last City to be a hub City in Canada.
I understand Toronto got all the hardware for board cast and stuff by since there will be no fans at the game, why TO?
Edmonton seems ideal due to having a hotel with direct access to the Ice.
I am gonna find out if MLSE has bought up da ice at Mastercard - sorry Ford now - 3 nhl rinks plus an Olympic one - for July, August September and October. That will provide da answer. Sportsnet is already set up there too. Sportsnet would not have to fly people into Edmonton for summer. Da more I think about this it is likely gonna be TO. D*mn. Reduced costs for everyone.

Reactions: The Masters

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
I am gonna find out if MLSE has bought up da ice at Mastercard - sorry Ford now - 3 nhl rinks plus an Olympic one - for July, August September and October. That will provide da answer. Sportsnet is already set up there too. Sportsnet would not have to fly people into Edmonton for summer. Da more I think about this it is likely gonna be TO. D*mn. Reduced costs for everyone.
Toronto has the most resources to provide for this scenario. It makes sense to do it here. Toronto and GTA cases are still low.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I still don't get the point.

It's almost June. We don't need to give out a Cup every year.

Any team that wins... including ours... will have an asterisk around it.

Just focus on next season if you can.

I'll watch and all but it's like they will have a preseason tournament and then award a Cup afterwards.

And if a player tests positive... that shuts down the series.

Not feeling the love for this at all. I miss my sports but yeah... this is in the bad idea jar. Appreciate the effort and all.

The thing is, next season is no guarantee to start anywhere near on time. It may not start until 2021. Imo Hockey always go way too late into the summer as is, i dont see how doing this in July/August is anyworse than june

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
“Chaos is a ladder.” - Petyr Baelish

These playoffs are going to be nuts and really will be anyone’s game. By the end of it all some team may have won 19 games instead of the usual 16 to win the Cup. Players with nagging injuries will be healthy, no fans in the stands to cheer on momentum, it’s uncharted territory.

Re-seeding needs to happen after the play-in round no question about it. Only the NHL could get a decision mostly right but still be on the teetering brink of making a stupid decision. Other fans will look at us and think “ha ha you just don’t want Boston” but it really wouldn’t be fair for the top team to have to face anyone but the lowest seeded team, same with the highest rank from the play-in round having to face the highest seeded team.

I think Columbus might be the most difficult matchup we could’ve gotten of all the play-in teams. They’re gritty, dirty, and a nuisance. They’re also very solid defensively and could cause headaches for us. The only saving grace is that they aren’t all that potent offensively so our historically terrible playoff PK should have an easier time this go around, Lord knows Washington and Boston absolutely feasted on us when they went on the powerplay.

If the Leafs put in the effort they should win this one. Andersen has a chance to redeem his bad season and so far bad playoff performances for us here as well. Defensively Rielly and Muzzin should be operating at near peak efficiency. Ceci and to a lesser extent Barrie will be our obvious weak spots on the back-end as neither guy has found great chemistry with anyone and when it looked like they were close to doing so a major injury to our defence derailed them and we lost time developing that chemistry. Dermott and Holl will need to take that next step, especially Travis who’s been in the league longer and who we’ve been waiting on to break out.

The offence should be able to take on Columbus’ style, but then again we all thought that California trip would allow us to put some distance between us and Florida, and then the team decided to score 3 goals in three games against some of the worst the NHL has to offer. Hopefully Tavares is healthy and whatever nagging injuries he had are no longer an issue, and Matthews should be motivated given how he was jobbed out of the Rocket because of COVID. Nylander I’m confident will perform, Marner was putting up the points but wasn’t looking so hot doing so. Maybe this extended break has allowed him to clear his head.

Biggest X Factors this series will be Andersen and Mikheyev. Mikheyev gives us something up front that we lack with his size, reach, and defensive instincts. If he can hit the ground running that makes our top 6 a lot more varied and formidable. Andersen I’ve mentioned already but it can’t be stressed enough just how much this team relies on him. It’s a tale as old as time for the Leafs to put too much on the goaltending but it’s going to have to happen again. He’s got a shot at redemption but if he struggles and we end up down like 2-0 in the series Campbell may have to step in and take the reigns.

Personally I’m very excited for these unorthodox playoffs. Pure chaos and uncertainty. Can’t wait to watch hockey again.

Last edited:

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
The thing is, next season is no guarantee to start anywhere near on time. It may not start until 2021. Imo Hockey always go way too late into the summer as is, i dont see how doing this in July/August is anyworse than june

I think the general idea is that we have a pandemic.

It's spread before there are symptoms.

And we require distancing from each other in order to protect ourselves and the vulnerable from it.

I don't see why any league is above the general public when it comes to protecting each other.

If it's cool for the NHL, why not...

AHL?
University and NCAA?
CHL?
AAA?
AA?
A?
AE?
House League?
Rec League?

And if it's cool for hockey, why not...

all sports?
all gyms?
all schools?
all public gatherings?
all concerts?

So, yes... there are no guarantees that hockey will start next September. There are no guarantees they even get this season done.

That's what life is right now.

Hockey (and pro sport) is the LEAST important thing to be worrying about right now.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If the NHL is going to pick a Canadian city for one of its 2 HUB cities then Edmonton is the obvious choice.

Both Toronto (hit the hardest by Covid-19) and Vancouver (has the 3 largest city population in Canada) and while Alberta was hit hard also by Covid it was mostly in the Calgary area where Edmonton #'s remained much smaller as they seemed to keep their pandemic cases under control.

Alberta is taking aggressive measures to help slow the spread of COVID-19. The health of Albertans is, and always will be, our top priority.

Alberta confirmed 25 new cases on May 27.

LocationConfirmed
cases
Active
cases*
Recovered
cases
In
hospital**
In intensive
care***
DeathsTests
completed
In Canada86,964----6,673-
In Alberta6,9266796,106434141245,949
Calgary zone4,8045314,170353103-
Edmonton zone527524624113-
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

As of yesterday Edmonton has 52 active cases only 4 in hospital with only 25 new cases Alberta wide.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Toronto has the most resources to provide for this scenario. It makes sense to do it here. Toronto and GTA cases are still low.
I hope we don't get it ... while i don't think it will add much to our COVID due to strict isolation i think it will be a bad talking point and why would we want it if we can't go to see games ... but I can see NHL cheapos going for it and Sportsnet will be gung ho for it which da owners will probably like ... I think it will end up here unless COVID turns ugly here

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
“Chaos is a ladder.” - Petyr Baelish

These playoffs are going to be nuts and really will be anyone’s game. By the end of it all some team may have won 19 games instead of the usual 16 to win the Cup. Players with nagging injuries will be healthy, no fans in the stands to cheer on momentum, it’s uncharted territory.

Re-seeding needs to happen after the play-in round no question about it. Only the NHL could get a decision mostly right but still be on the teetering brink of making a stupid decision. Other fans will look at us and think “ha ha you just don’t want Boston” but it really wouldn’t be fair for the top team to have to face anyone but the lowest seeded team, same with the highest rank from the play-in round having to face the highest seeded team.

I think Columbus might be the most difficult matchup we could’ve gotten of all the play-in teams. They’re gritty, dirty, and a nuisance. They’re also very solid defensively and could cause headaches for us. The only saving grace is that they aren’t all that potent offensively so our historically terrible playoff PK should have an easier time this go around, Lord knows Washington and Boston absolutely feasted on us when they went on the powerplay.

If the Leafs put in the effort they should win this one. Andersen has a chance to redeem his bad season and so far bad playoff performances for us here as well. Defensively Rielly and Muzzin should be operating at bear peak efficiency. Ceci and to a lesser extent Barrie will be our obvious weak spots on the back-end as neither guy has found great chemistry with anyone and when it looked like they were close to doing so a major injury derailed them and we lost time developing that chemistry. Dermott and Holl will need to take that next step, especially Travis who’s been in the league longer and who we’ve been waiting on to break out.

The offence should be able to take on Columbus’ style, but then again we all thought that California trip would allow us to put some distance between us and Florida, and then the team decided to score 3 goals in three games against some of the worst the NHL has to offer. Hopefully Tavares is healthy and whatever nagging injuries he had are no longer an issue, and Matthews should be motivated given how he was jobbed out of the Rocket because of COVID. Nylander I’m confident will perform, Marner was putting up the points but wasn’t looking so hot doing so. Maybe this extended break has allowed him to clear his head.

Biggest X Factors this series will be Andersen and Mikheyev. Mikheyev gives us something up front that we lack with his size, reach, and defensive instincts. If he can hit the ground running that makes our top 6 a lot more varied and formidable. Andersen I’ve mentioned already but it can’t be stressed enough just how much this team relies on him. It’s a tale as old as time for the Leafs to put too much on the goaltending but it’s going to have to happen again. He’s got a shot at redemption but if he struggles and we end up down like 2-0 in the series Campbell May have to step in and take the reigns.

Personally I’m very excited for these unorthodoxy playoffs. Pure chaos and uncertainty. Can’t wait to watch hockey again.
Just a thought on Barrie here, he will be playing for a contract in these playoffs. He might play his best hockey we have seen in all this. Beating Columbus and playing longer gives teams a better look at him too. So he’ll be motivated.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I hate the concept of a restart but I tell you...

You could win me over in a second if....

the NHL took a knee on playing in the USA as a result of the George Floyd murder (and history of police brutality) .... and delivered a message of humanity along with a semblance of normalcy.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I hate the concept of a restart but I tell you...

You could win me over in a second if....

the NHL took a knee on playing in the USA as a result of the George Floyd murder (and history of police brutality) .... and delivered a message of humanity along with a semblance of normalcy.
Well, I hope they read this and think as highly of you as you do. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->