Speculation: This is Ken Holland's Last Season as GM

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I honestly don't want Yzerman to ever be GM in Detroit. I'd rather his legacy here stay untarnished as a hall of fame player who captained them through the type of Dynasty that the league will probably never see again.

I see Yzerman coming back as GM being met with the expectation that he'll turn things around quickly like he did in Tampa. Unfortunately, the Red Wings are much further behind where Tampa was when Yzerman took over. When Yzerman arrived in Tampa, the team had some good pieces with a 20 old Stamkos coming off a 51 goal season, a likely future top pairing Dman in Hedman, and still productive Lecavalier and St. Louis in the fold. Their biggest issue was the idiotic clownshow around Koules/Barrie/Feaster/Lawton/etc and their inability to build around those pieces. With Detroit, Yzerman would likely be starting way lower on the rebuild ladder than where Tampa was when he joined them. It would be painful to watch if Yzerman ends up looking more like Joe Sakic in Colorado trying to rebuild this team. Or like where Harbaugh is currently trending after a similar "return home" hiring that brought on lofty expectations...

I do think the Red Wings would love to welcome him back, but I don't see him leaving Tampa until he gets that team a Stanley Cup or their window as a contender shuts. For some reason I also think Yzerman rather enjoys the dimmer spotlight that comes with running a team in a non hockey market. The weather during the winter might make it tough to come back to Detroit too...

In all reality, we likely see a repeat of what they did in '97 and/or what they recently did with the Tigers. Holland likely slides up to some higher up VP role and they move Martin and Draper/etc. into the GM and AGM roles. The team will probably shuffle in a couple of head coach changes before we ever see a drastic shake up at the management level...

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
I'd be fine with Yzerman but I also agree with this. Bringing back Yzerman seems like more of the same type of loyalty that has gotten this team into the place we're at. Bringing in someone who has no ties to these players would be the best thing to do. That way he can ship out the unnecessary/redundant players and draft appropriately.
Yzerman has been cut throat as a gm. I wouldn't worry about that aspect.

Reactions: StargateSG1

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Sure it's possible, but the reality is all those guys panning out is unlikely.

It's the nature of us fans to hope that these prospects will be the solution, but most of the time they just aren't. Even great drafting means you find a few gems but have a lot of misses.

I remember when Smith, Kindl, Ericsson and XO were going to keep our blueline going for years. Hudler was the next Brett Hull.
Everyone won't pan out and they won't need to. We don't have room for a blueline that has Cholowski/Hronek/Saarijarvi/Hicketts/Sambrook/Dekeyser/Ouellet/Jensen/Setkov/Lindstrom/Kotkansalo. And it's a fair bet to assume our '18 first round rounder is going to be our highest drafted D in decades, meaning probably the best D prospect we've had in ages and someone who could step in fairly quickly. Yeah there was a time when we had 3 decent prospects on D and none of them really turned into the star we wanted to. It happens. That doesn't mean every prospect we ever draft will fail. Heck Ericsson looked pretty damn good on a top-pairing for like 2 seasons and he was the last pick of his draft year. Maybe, just maybe, some kid we draft in the top 10 can become better better than E. Maybe, just maybe, one of like 10 2nd round picks can turn into something better than XO. If small-ish 2nd round pick Hudler can put up a close to 80 point season, maybe just maybe 1st round picks like Mantha, Svechnikov and Rasmussen have potential to be more than complementary pieces. I don't know, I guess I'm just crazy optimistic to think any of these guys will turn into good players.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
No disrespect Bin, but it seems to me like the only way Holland would go upstairs is if the decision is made for him.

From everything I have read, Holland is still very passionate about being GM and isn’t ready to give it up.

So with Chris Illitch giving him a vote of confidence just a few months ago, I’m not banking on this happening.

For some reason i cannot private message Claypool. :/
For one this isn't my thread and I haven't posted anything in it yet.
second, i decided it was too dangerous to "openly" leak the info I was getting. private message me and ill add you to a private chat where i can share info I am getting. (ie there is a safer way for me to share things with the hardcore ffans here)

quick note to Claypool, try not to drop my name on info, my source will know its me. Just say there is a rumor (if you could alter OP)

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I do not think Yzerman would be interested in GM'ing in Detroit.
Yzerman is the current GM of a cup contender, that he has decidely been there long enough to say he is a factor in their success.
I see no reason why he would want to leave.

I am sure he loves Detroit, I just don't see why he would leave his current post.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
second, i decided it was too dangerous to "openly" leak the info I was getting. private message me and ill add you to a private chat where i can share info I am getting. (ie there is a safer way for me to share things with the hardcore ffans here)

quick note to Claypool, try not to drop my name on info, my source will know its me. Just say there is a rumor (if you could alter OP)

All good dude. I think Claypool threw your name out there bc of something you said in that other thread, and that's what I was thinking of as well.

But if you want us to PM you from here, that's cool with me.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
If we need a drag down GM, before a new rise, why can't Holland be it? Why it has to be a different person?

He is already dragging this team down...

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If we need a drag down GM, before a new rise, why can't Holland be it? Why it has to be a different person?

He’s very set in his ways... very prideful... his legacy is on the line. Way easier to task it to a new person with a clear objective that has less to lose. That will ultimately have to come from ownership, and I don’t think ownership is at that point just yet.

Reactions: Bench

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
Yzerman was at the LCA last night.
There really isn't a good reason for him to have been there,
not like they were playing the Bolts.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Wishful thinking.

The Wings aren't your typical organization. The owners and Holland probably know that his extension is a mere formality.

I do wish he would retire. The man murdered this franchise.

Although they need to hire an outsider. If they just promote from within, it will just be like going from Matt Millen to Martin Mayhew.

Oh is that what you call being the most successful team in the league for the duration of his tenure in the organization?

You can not like where the team is now, but making statements like this are completely out of line. Ken Holland is one of the greatest things to happen to the Detroit Red Wings franchise, no matter how this story ends that will remain an unquestionable truth.

I am with people wanting an outsider. Again just to be a broken record, I want Fenton from Nashville.

I think Holland might get an extension to be honest. I don't think he is in any real trouble. Three decades of spectacular service tends to give you a ton of leeway. I would like him to move upstairs and go with Fenton though. I think we need a change.

Reactions: Frk It

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yzerman was at the LCA last night.
There really isn't a good reason for him to have been there,
not like they were playing the Bolts.

Yzerman's family still lives in Detroit. He is frequently in the city, it doesn't mean he is getting ready to leave his current job. That has been something he has been doing his entire tenure in Tampa.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

Some of this is going to feel like beating a dead horse. But I feel like if you're going to ask this question, I'm going to give you the full answer.

What you're saying makes sense in a vacuum. But Holland is on record saying every season he wants to get into the playoffs. That mindset is detrimental to a rebuilding team, EVEN IF you fail. Because the moves you're making to position your team as a playoff team are counterproductive to stocking up future assets. At this moment, Holland is sort of toeing the line. He's not rebuilding, but he's not going all in. He's playing the kids, but also giving long deals to vets. He's getting draft picks like 2nds and 3rds, but not high impact picks in the 1st round. He's in this nebulous middle ground that worries many fans here.

Holland hasn't completely botched his job the last few years, but he's also failed to ice a competitive team while continuing to spend to the salary cap. It's a roster with cap problems, a deficit of elite talent, and no blue chip prospects in the pipeline. He's not Mike Milbury swinging ridiculous trades that set the team back for years, but his conservative approach combined with the need to saddle the team with veteran deals has created a roster with no outlook to win today or in the near future.

What this team needs is fresh eyes to unload the sunk costs and invest in a new future. Holland still believes in his players, despite all evidence to the contrary. I want a GM that doesn't believe in this group and with no emotional ties, can say, "We know you're a lifetime Wing and a stand-up guy, so nothing personal, but we're moving on." A GM that trades roster players for reasons other than salary cap constraints. And the type of GM that know, when you're rebuilding, you need that top 5 pick to set your team up for sustained success.

Now even if a new GM does all the things I ask for, that doesn't guarantee anything. I'll be the first to admit that. But, in my opinion and many others here, it gives you a larger chance. And as fans, that's all we ask for. Make the big plays to be a winner again. If it doesn't work out, OK, but at least you went for it.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I believe the theory posted that this is his last season. I doubt Yzerman is his replacement. But what I am guessing whoever replaces him is going to be a huge disappointment to us all.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
What this team needs is fresh eyes to unload the sunk costs and invest in a new future. Holland still believes in his players, despite all evidence to the contrary. I want a GM that doesn't believe in this group and with no emotional ties, can say, "We know you're a lifetime Wing and a stand-up guy, so nothing personal, but we're moving on." A GM that trades roster players for reasons other than salary cap constraints. And the type of GM that know, when you're rebuilding, you need that top 5 pick to set your team up for sustained success.

Now even if a new GM does all the things I ask for, that doesn't guarantee anything. I'll be the first to admit that. But, in my opinion and many others here, it gives you a larger chance. And as fans, that's all we ask for. Make the big plays to be a winner again. If it doesn't work out, OK, but at least you went for it.

so so so much this.

And maybe not necessarily someone who “doesn’t believe” in some of our guys, but just someone who isn’t as attached to them.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I believe the theory posted that this is his last season. I doubt Yzerman is his replacement. But what I am guessing whoever replaces him is going to be a huge disappointment to us all.

Why would he be a disappointment, let alone a huge one?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Why would he be a disappointment, let alone a huge one?

Overall he was a very successful GM?

There a difference in Holland’s last 5 years and what Holland was overall.

Dotter seems to be referring to Holland’s entire body of work.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Sometimes you need change for change sake, even if that goes from bad to worse. This regime is never winning another championship, so the sooner somebody with authority realizes that and begins the process of moving on, the better.

Nothing is guaranteed, except that the status quo is a bad product. Maybe it takes 2-3 regimes to really right the ship again, but I'll take a few rolls of the dice over a few more years of Kenny.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

My bad, dude. Just wanted to make sure I gave you credit.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I don't really want Yzerman here as GM. Maybe he'd do a good job, maybe he wouldn't, but I think people have unrealistic expectations for him as a possible GM. Living up to them would be near impossible.

Probably, but I think part of that is just going to go with the territory of replacing a GM on a team likely mired in mediocrity for the next several years regardless of the GM.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Oh is that what you call being the most successful team in the league for the duration of his tenure in the organization?

You can not like where the team is now, but making statements like this are completely out of line. Ken Holland is one of the greatest things to happen to the Detroit Red Wings franchise, no matter how this story ends that will remain an unquestionable truth.

I am with people wanting an outsider. Again just to be a broken record, I want Fenton from Nashville.

I think Holland might get an extension to be honest. I don't think he is in any real trouble. Three decades of spectacular service tends to give you a ton of leeway. I would like him to move upstairs and go with Fenton though. I think we need a change.

Tell me again, why do you want Fenton? What has he done? Cause I honestly don’t know

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan

Ken Holland was a good GM for the Wings. The last seven seasons saw Kenny make so many bad decisions that have crippled this franchise going forward for a very long time. Like 2025 is the best case scenario where the Wings are relevant again.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona

Because Holland will continue to sign bad contracts and create cap problems. He cannot manage a roster in the cap era. The longer he's around the worse off the team will be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad