This is a Bad Hockey Team 2019-20

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
When has Marc Staal ever worked hard?

He works hard at leaving his man alone in front of the net to join a teammate not covering the guy with the puck.

When he does find himself near the crease, he works hard at going down to the ice and covering no one.

When for some unknown reason a teammate passes to him in the offensive zone, he works hard to hold on to the puck and not shoot or pass it back to anyone. That seems to be an innate skill of his.

He works hard not to move a puck out of the defensive zone. I mean, have you ever seen anyone try harder than him at not clearing the puck? He's one of the best in the NHL at this.

Reactions: Machinehead

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
My best bud is a Chiefs fan so I hear about all their good and bad lol...

Love hearing what you’re saying about the Bills. They’d resembled the Rangers “dark years” for almost 2 decades.

:thumbu:
Ya, it’s nice to see a legit pulse from another AFC east team. Gotta think this Bills team is the best non Pats team from that division since Rex’s Jets. And Allen is a lot better than Sanchize.

Singletary is finally coming back this week too. By the end of the year I think he’ll be considered their most dangerous offensive player.

Reactions: Kupo

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
it’s four games but if we continue to be by far the worst 5 in 5 team in the NHL i will be extremely disappointed.

i think we all expected some improvement this year in the more painful areas.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
it’s four games but if we continue to be by far the worst 5 in 5 team in the NHL i will be extremely disappointed.

i think we all expected some improvement this year in the more painful areas.
This is exactly it.

To be honest I am not even that concerned about wins and losses although always want to win. But if we are once again awful at 5v5 that will be a huge stain on DQ.

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
5 on 5 we have been ECHL level if even that. Minus the top line, I’m not even sure we have seen a sustained shift of 25 seconds or more. Just a bunch of one and dones.

Anzi

May 16, 2019
Boston
This is exactly it.

To be honest I am not even that concerned about wins and losses although always want to win. But if we are once again awful at 5v5 that will be a huge stain on DQ.

I do not see David Quinn as our coach of the future. Even in the NCAA, he didn't really have the reputation of being a coach that maximizes the talent he has to win games. If they see him as a coach to develop our players, that's fine. If so, then I'd think we get a new coach once we're ready to actually compete in the playoffs.

Reactions: DanielBrassard

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
This is exactly it.

yeah like, even with this fabled “overachievement” i’ve heard about we were easily one of the worst teams in the league last year. we upgraded in two very painful positions. i think some improvement shouldn’t be an outrageous question

Anzi

May 16, 2019
Boston
The problem with this team 5v5 is the top line. They never should have been together from the start.

You'd think with our top line that they'd at least be doing well 5v5 and its our other lines that's dragging us down but in fact, even our top line is doing poorly 5v5. Quinn has also been playing them too many minutes in an effort to hide our lack of depth.

Anzi

May 16, 2019
Boston
yeah like, even with this fabled “overachievement” i’ve heard about we were easily one of the worst teams in the league last year. we upgraded in two very painful positions. i think some improvement shouldn’t be an outrageous question

I think Staal has a lot to do with that. Last year we've heard about how DeAngelo-Staal worked for some reason. This year it has been a disaster. They've also tried Trouba-Staal yesterday and that was awful as well.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
I think Staal has a lot to do with that. Last year we've heard about how DeAngelo-Staal worked for some reason. This year it has been a disaster. They've also tried Trouba-Staal yesterday and that was awful as well.
It's a travesty that there is no accountability for him. Even a novice at hockey could tell he is inept. You can expect every player to make a bad play out of every 5 plays. You can expect Staal to make 4 out of every 5.

ETTER DE

Jun 24, 2017
They have set the bar very high. Only Mika and Panarin of the forwards can handle the high tempo they are trying to play with. My guess is this is done on purpose to find out which young players that can live with it. A guy like Kakko is really struggling both receiving and sending the puck to a teammate. Give him time. Of course with the bar set so high, there is a chance that some good players will loose their confidence. But all in all it shows that Rangers are not aiming to build a good team, they want a great one.
One thing that can be an issue is that Quinn is used to coach a very good college team which recruits lots of good players. They can most likely overun a lot of teams. That may not work in the NHL. The best players in the world will punish your mistakes.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I think we also have to consider that this is not the start this team wanted from a lot of its young talent. Having even one or two of them really emerge from the pack would be a huge addition.

But we haven’t yet seen that young, breakout performer thus far. If anything, most of these starts would be considered disappointing.

I’d say this is true. I’d also say that the schedule hasn’t helped. Any player is going to struggle to get up to meaningful regular season speed with some of the gaps we’ve had, and for young guys still adapting to this level, doubly so. Not to make excuses for them, but expectations should be tempered until the schedule gets rolling more consistently. I still do not love some of the roster decisions. I think, for instance, that Lias would be better off with Lemieux and Fast, or at least replace Haley with one of Nieves/Lettieri. Haley is a head scratcher for me. He isn’t a deterrent. He doesn’t “provide jump”. I have a feeling Chytil gets up here in November after getting his wheels spinning in the A and looks better and provides us with a bit more dynamism. If he doesn’t, I’m not going to be panicking either, but it’s just a feeling.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
I have been saying this time and time again in the offseason but of course most posters are saying we are a playoff bubble team. This team is showing how many wholes we have and what we need to correct. Krieder, strome, skjie, and others should be traded at the deadline for young players like the brassard deal or picks to load up on this and future drafts. We are a bottom 10 team. We are right now strictly panarin, zibs, trouba, and goalies, with a mix of fox in there. I'm fine with this. we have a lot of prospects that should punch through the door by the end of this season and start of next season. If we can draft byfield we have our 2nd line center and hopefully more in this coming draft. We are a rebuilding team, this is to be expected. We will be fun to watch at times but ultimately finish in the top 10 of the draft lottery.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I honestly feel Kakko's ideal linemates are more of a grinding style player than Kreider and Strome/Howden. I'd be all for moving him down to play with Lias and Fast/Lemieux for a bit.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
No one said how great Fox has been, how Hajek is getting better with each game. Two rookies.

Namestnikov would have worked better as 2C than any current options but getting rid of his contract was deemed more of a priority and I can respect that.

Kakko now thinks too much. He’s being “fed” a lot of information both by the coaching staff but also what from what he’s experiencing himself. I don’t believe he’s late to receive all passes coming his way because of he doesn’t have the speed. It’s tough to watch but he will get there soon, once some of these plays become more instinctual. Make Strome his 2C again. Howden is not it and when Kakko was moved down to third line - he and Strome had some moments. Buchnevich - Strome - Kakko, or Panarin - Strome - Kakko.

Speaking of Howden, how come he’s not a wing?

Reactions: TheDirtyH

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Right now this looks like a bad hockey team with zero identity. for that reason I'm ok with keeping kids like Chytil, Shesty, Lindgren down in Hartford. Especially if Hartford keeps winning.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
You'd think with our top line that they'd at least be doing well 5v5 and its our other lines that's dragging us down but in fact, even our top line is doing poorly 5v5. Quinn has also been playing them too many minutes in an effort to hide our lack of depth.

He is playing them a moderately above average amount for a first line. Zibanejad is 52nd among forwards in 5v5 TOI/Game. Panarin is 17th. Hardly egregious overuse.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
If you take the other 2 goals away, we win 2-0!
Mathboard.jpg

Your math checks out. I’m impressed!

You’re not only a stalker but also a numbers guru too!

What’s next Mr. Renaissance Man..?!:D

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
I have not seen Kappo Kakko placed in any position to succeed. I am sorry buts its damn true. I don't give a shit about well this goon earned it or any of that bullshit. You need to run your thoroughbreds. Our second PP unit is a f***ing joke when I see guys like Howden and Lemioux in it. Like what the f*** man?! You need snipers. You need shooters. And if Kakko is in it the puck needs to f***ing go to HIM!!!!

Anzi

May 16, 2019
Boston
He is playing them a moderately above average amount for a first line. Zibanejad is 52nd among forwards in 5v5 TOI/Game. Panarin is 17th. Hardly egregious overuse.

They're playing a lot of PP/PK time as well. Zibanejad is 2nd among all forwards in overall TOI/game behind only Draisatl. Panarin is 13th. There's 93 1st line forwards in the league so that is well above average. A few more minutes per game especially when we're only 5 games into the season isn't going to kill them but it feels like a desperate attempt to keep this team afloat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad