This is a Bad Hockey Team 2019-20

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The rangers made a lot of very correctable HUGE Blunders.

I actually...and I'm sure I'm gonna get killed for this...but I actually liked a decent amount of this game...when they were bad they were putrid, but you could see small flashes all over the ice of the makings of a good team in a few years.

You can see some of the ingredients. Right now they are scattered all over the place and aren’t coming together cohesively, but they are there.

As you said, the challenge is that when they’re bad, they’re flat out awful. And that’s more than enough to sink them.

Reactions: Inferno

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Lmao no it wasn’t, the Caps should have won this game 10-2. Lundqvist is the only reason we were even remotely in this game.

Yes, it was.

We outplayed them in the 1st. It was a 3-2 game heading into the third. Things fell apart in the 3rd but up until the end of the game we were in it.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Yes, it was.

We outplayed them in the 1st. It was a 3-2 game heading into the third. Things fell apart in the 3rd but up until the end of the game we were in it.
The Caps had more than double the scoring chances. We got pounded.

Only place this game was close was on the scoresheet. I think any other view is through rose colored glasses, frankly. That was an utterly putrid display of hockey.

Reactions: Rangers743

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Decent veteran depth probably wouldn’t be used in the same sentence with rebuilding, but I am curious as to whom you would’ve brought in, based on the cap space this organization had up until a week ago.
Like I said, “rebuilding” isn’t an excuse to willingly ice a bottom-6 that features Brendan Smith and Michael Haley (and continuing to ice Marc Staal, against the other team’s best players). That’s not even trying to ice a competitive lineup. There’s a fine line between “rebuilding” and straight up not caring about wins and losses. It was cute playing around on Tankathon last season, but one season is more than long enough for me to see a team that doesn’t even care about the results on the ice. It’d be one thing if the kids were leading the way, but again, seeing our best young prospects play with linemates that suck on a team with zero cohesion doesn’t make me think “oh, these guys are developing wonderfully!”. It makes me worry that we’re gonna f*** with their development.

A guy like Boyle or Hathaway would be nice to have right now. At least they fill their roles admirably. Maybe we’d even be able to sit a guy like Howden who looks completely overmatched instead of spoonfeeding him minutes he hasn’t earned.

Reactions: Machinehead

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
The Caps had more than double the scoring chances. We got pounded.

Only place this game was close was on the scoresheet. I think any other view is through rose colored glasses, frankly. That was an utterly putrid display of hockey.

We weren’t really getting pounded until the second half of the game. That’s all I’m saying. It was a close most of the game.

I realize you’re angry that my beloved Bills have a better record than your Chiefs... But we know that’ll change by week 17. ;)

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Like I said, “rebuilding” isn’t an excuse to willingly ice a bottom-6 that features Brendan Smith and Michael Haley (and continuing to ice Marc Staal, against the other team’s best players).

I understand why Staal was/is playing.

I don’t understand Smith in the top-9 or Haley in the lineup at all.

Quinn needs to realize his job here is to develop our prospects. Not actually try to win.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
We weren’t really getting pounded until the second half of the game. That’s all I’m saying. It was a close most of the game.

I realize you’re angry that my beloved Bills have a better record than your Chiefs... But we know that’ll change by week 17. ;)
I f*** with this Bills team man. Love Josh Allen and McDermott. That defense is absolutely nasty. Kinda glad we don’t play the Bills, they’d be an awful matchup for us, at least at the moment. Would not wanna see them in a wild card game, I’ll tell you that.

As you can see I’d much rather slobber the Bills than talk about that game :laugh:

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
The beginning of this season has been about as bad as could have been imagined in terms of 5v5 play. Hopefully there's improvement soon because this has been really poor. Sitting Staal at least would be a start, the man is a trainwreck everytime he's on the ice.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I **** with this Bills team man. Love Josh Allen and McDermott. That defense is absolutely nasty. Kinda glad we don’t play the Bills, they’d be an awful matchup for us, at least at the moment. Would not wanna see them in a wild card game, I’ll tell you that.

As you can see I’d much rather slobber the Bills than talk about that game :laugh:

My best bud is a Chiefs fan so I hear about all their good and bad lol...

Love hearing what you’re saying about the Bills. They’d resembled the Rangers “dark years” for almost 2 decades.

:thumbu:

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Like I said, “rebuilding” isn’t an excuse to willingly ice a bottom-6 that features Brendan Smith and Michael Haley (and continuing to ice Marc Staal, against the other team’s best players). That’s not even trying to ice a competitive lineup. There’s a fine line between “rebuilding” and straight up not caring about wins and losses. It was cute playing around on Tankathon last season, but one season is more than long enough for me to see a team that doesn’t even care about the results on the ice. It’d be one thing if the kids were leading the way, but again, seeing our best young prospects play with linemates that suck on a team with zero cohesion doesn’t make me think “oh, these guys are developing wonderfully!”. It makes me worry that we’re gonna **** with their development.

A guy like Boyle or Hathaway would be nice to have right now. At least they fill their roles admirably. Maybe we’d even be able to sit a guy like Howden who looks completely overmatched instead of spoonfeeding him minutes he hasn’t earned.
Haley and Smith have been fine. In fact, those are perfect fourth liners on a team full of kids, like this team.

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
Not much you can do with how our cap issues played out during the off-season. I also doubt Boyle would want to join this tire fire right now. Quinn does not have much to work with especially since we're deciding to do what's best for chytil and kravstov and let them get minutes in Hartford. Until those two are ready Quinn is going to be shuffling players around to try and get anything to click. Any coach would pretty much do the same. This is the situation Gorton put us in.

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
This team is awful. Staal falls down all game. Honestly, he needs to be in the minors. Quinn is stil stubborn and hasn't committed to developing a cornerstone of the franchise in Kakko by putting him on the first PP and first line. He continues to play Strome and Howden over Andersson when both have been awful. DeAngelo has been an embarrassment to start the season. At his point, I'm not watching games any longer until Quinn moves both Kakko and Andersson up, sends Staal to the minors and calls up Lindgren. This is supposed to be a rebuild. Not a coach playing a bunch of lousy vets and non cornerstone pieces more than our future.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
This team is awful. Staal falls down all game. Honestly, he needs to be in the minors. Quinn is stil stubborn and hasn't committed to developing a cornerstone of the franchise in Kakko by putting him on the first PP and first line. He continues to play Strome and Howden over Andersson when both have been awful. DeAngelo has been an embarrassment to start the season. At his point, I'm not watching games any longer until Quinn moves both Kakko and Andersson up, sends Staal to the minors and calls up Lindgren. This is supposed to be a rebuild. Not a coach playing a bunch of lousy vets and non cornerstone pieces more than our future.
I guess you won’t be watching much hockey this year then :dunno:

Reactions: egelband

trunkslamchest

NASH W I D E
Nov 21, 2016
wide
The only thing I am disappointed/pissed about with this season so far is Kreider.

The guy has size, the speed, the ability, the potential. We have all seen it. But he never uses any of it. Ever. There are brief flashes of it once or twice a game and thats it.

He's either lazy as f*** or had some injury I cant remember and no longer has any sort of perceivable grit or determination he needs to be the player we know he can be.

Maybe he doesn't really give a shit. Maybe all he cares about is getting paid. Maybe his "sports psychologist" did more harm than good. Maybe he thinks he doesnt have to work hard because of how much potential talent he knows he has. Who knows.

All I know is he doesn't play like the krieder he can be and its been this way his entire career and its gotten me to the boiling point.

Bottom line is in New York, even if you suck, we will appreciate and respect hard work. like Quickie. or Callahan. or Girardi. or f***ing Marc Staal. jesus, even Brendan f***ing Smith worked his balls off last night and beat the snot out of some guy, and im like f*** yea elite enforcer brendan smith gimme more of that shit.

But when we see someone slacking we jump up and yell "AYYYY YO BIG GUY MOVE YA FAHKIN FEETS I TOOK TREE DIFFERENT SUBWAYS TO GET TO THIS GAME AND YOURE SKATING AROUND LIKE A FAHKIN FAIRY OUT THERE YOU SHMUCK."

f***.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I knew they'd be bad.

I didn't anticipate them being the runaway worst team in the league which is what they look like so far in a very short sample.

If Kreider turns it around, that could change. He makes our bottom 9, let's say, less worthless.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The only thing I am disappointed/pissed about with this season so far is Kreider.

The guy has size, the speed, the ability, the potential. We have all seen it. But he never uses any of it. Ever. There are brief flashes of it once or twice a game and thats it.

He's either lazy as **** or had some injury I cant remember and no longer has any sort of perceivable grit or determination he needs to be the player we know he can be.

Maybe he doesn't really give a ****. Maybe all he cares about is getting paid. Maybe his "sports psychologist" did more harm than good. Maybe he thinks he doesnt have to work hard because of how much potential talent he knows he has. Who knows.

All I know is he doesn't play like the krieder he can be and its been this way his entire career and its gotten me to the boiling point.

Bottom line is in New York, even if you suck, we will appreciate and respect hard work. like Quickie. or Callahan. or Girardi. or ****ing Marc Staal. jesus, even Brendan ****ing Smith worked his balls off last night and beat the snot out of some guy, and im like **** yea elite enforcer brendan smith gimme more of that ****.

But when we see someone slacking we jump up and yell "AYYYY YO BIG GUY MOVE YA FAHKIN FEETS I TOOK TREE DIFFERENT SUBWAYS TO GET TO THIS GAME AND YOURE SKATING AROUND LIKE A FAHKIN FAIRY OUT THERE YOU SHMUCK."

When has Marc Staal ever worked hard?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Every game. He is just really, really bad at hockey now.
He's only a "hard worker" since the consensus became that he's really bad at hockey.

Like I always say, I'm not against effort players, but we blindly ascribe effort to anyone who is a veteran or sucks.

Cody McLeod was an absolute loaf here.

Reactions: Lias Andersson

ZestyMest

Sep 2, 2018
He's only a "hard worker" since the consensus became that he's really bad at hockey.

Like I always say, I'm not against effort players, but we blindly ascribe effort to anyone who is a veteran or sucks.

Cody McLeod was an absolute loaf here.
I don't really believe there are many genuinely lazy players in the NHL is more why I'm saying he works hard.

Reactions: egelband

ZestyMest

Sep 2, 2018
Ok, so let's assume that he works at a base level to be a professional. I'm all for that.

It still isn't a special trait of his.
never said it was, I did say he was just bad at hockey. We're probably in some sort of agreement here.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Too many holes on each line, except the top one.

Howden is not a 2C, neither is Andersson, even though we want to try him there. Smith is playing forward. Haley has drawn into games over better players. Strome is still playing center. Kreider hasn't been good, but hopefully that'll change. Was better last night with the top line.

Defense still has Staal, and that is an issue. Fox and Hajek will have their rookie mistakes, but even in 5 games, they both are doing things that they couldn't do in game 1, especially Hajek. Trouba has been good and will get better as the rest of the defense materializes. Skjei and DeAngelo have to bridge the gap with the younger guys.

I really just think, even with how the forwards are set up, if they just removed Staal, they'd be increasingly better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad