GDT: This game is for John Davidson|CBJ vs Rangers|4-5-19|7:00 pm

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
the sad habs thread are bit funny

They had a great turnaround. They should be proud of that.

There’s a lot of “our guys deserve it more than Columbus” in that thread. Besides obviously being illogical (uh... the team with more points deserves it more), that’s a pretty hot take given the Habs got absolutely smoked by the Jackets only one week ago.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
The Canes could lose but doubtful...

Frankly, I want Tampa.... Presidents are a jinx!!!

Caps beat us last year...

The Presidents Trophy is not a jinx. There have been more Stanley Cup winners from the Presidents Trophy position than from any other playoff position. Caps beat us last year, but we were also a goalpost away from going up 3-0, and I’d say we have a better roster this year than last year (while theirs is about the same). Further, we’re 3-1 against them this year and have gotten smoked by Tampa.

With that said, we’d definitely have a realistic shot against Tampa. We’d need to play our best hockey of the season, but we’re not Ottawa, Detroit, Vancouver, etc. We are a good, talented team.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Congratulations & best of luck in the postseason, Jacket fans, unless/until you somehow run into Colorado, which would likely be a sign the end of days are upon us. :laugh:

giphy.gif
Kind of weird YT... I'll let it pass this time... Not again...

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
The Presidents Trophy is not a jinx. There have been more Stanley Cup winners from the Presidents Trophy position than from any other playoff position. Caps beat us last year, but we were also a goalpost away from going up 3-0, and I’d say we have a better roster this year than last year (while theirs is about the same). Further, we’re 3-1 against them this year and have gotten smoked by Tampa.

With that said, we’d definitely have a realistic shot against Tampa. We’d need to play our best hockey of the season, but we’re not Ottawa, Detroit, Vancouver, etc. We are a good, talented team.
Dream..

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
All we need is a loss by Carolina of any kind. I think the Philly team is pretty talented. As long as they bring their game they could easily win. Hopefully this happens and we can pull our end of the bargain.

Reactions: Madifer

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
Pretty damn happy for the boys to make it to the playoffs..... anything can happen now.

Definitely justifies those moves at the trade deadline.

Poll.... who should be goal in game 82????

This is going to be an unpopular opinion, but I think Kinkaid should play against Ottawa.
If they have to call upon him in the playoffs, it would be good to get him in at least 1 game before then.

Reactions: CPTN71

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Beating Tampa is possible but it will all depend on 72. If he can be his amazing self then the team will feed off that and good things may follow.

Beating this Tampa would undoubtedly be "the event" in this franchise's history.

ReggieRed

Good job. Good work. Good goal next!
Jan 6, 2015
Milford Center, OH
Sounds like a great and exciting game last night! Too bad I couldn't watch it when I got home late last night as my DVR decided to tape the ******* Reds-Pirates game rather than the CBJ. We can send a man to the moon but we apparently can't get a Fox Sports Ohio channel guide that shows what is actually going to be on it! :ha:

Congrats to the Jackets on another playoff appearance. Hopefully they can relax and start playing like they are capable of. Bring on the Bolts (gulp)!

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

There’s a lot of “our guys deserve it more than Columbus” in that thread. Besides obviously being illogical (uh... the team with more points deserves it more), that’s a pretty hot take given the Habs got absolutely smoked by the Jackets only one week ago.
I chalk that up to grumpy homerism arising from getting swept up in the moment. One should expect to see that sort of thing in a GDT; it's only a problem if it spreads further.

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018

That sense of entitlement! Hahahaha

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
The Presidents Trophy is not a jinx. There have been more Stanley Cup winners from the Presidents Trophy position than from any other playoff position.
Not sure if you actually researched this but...I have no reason to doubt your comment. I am sure this includes the President's Trophy winners going back to the O6 era when just four teams made the playoffs. That skews reality just a tad (and according to Airplane2, a "tad" is about a half a million miles"). That's hardly a relevant stat in a modern 30+ team NHL with four rounds of playoffs.

Using a more relevant period of time (the past fifteen seasons):

The President's Trophy winner has won TWO Stanley Cups and one of those was the strike/lockout shortened 2012-2013 season. Winning once every seven years almost definitely has to be better than winning the Cup from any other position since sixteen teams make the playoffs. But its far from a slam dunk.
  • Lost in the first round FOUR times
  • Lost in the second round FIVE times
  • Lost in the Conference Finals THREE times
  • Lost in Finals ONCE
Even the mighty 58 win 2005-2006 Red Wings lost in the first round.

So, President's Trophy winners (over the last fifteen seasons) are twice as likely to lose in the first round than they are to win the Stanley Cup. In fact, their LEAST likely outcome has been to even reach the Finals.

I concede if you go back 25 years its 6 winners (24%) but that league had just 24 teams and included the original Jets, Whalers, Nordiques and North Stars (starting to seem less relevant to modern hockey results).

Not saying winning the President's Trophy is a jinx but its hardly the key to hoisting the Stanley Cup!

Reactions: db2011 and CPTN71

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
last one in, last one out? Enough of that, back to one game at a time for the Columbus Bleu Jaquettes... (PLD & Texier) mentored by Marty St. Louis - there is a "French Canadian" connection that will certainly treat us better then our history with Russian players have.. ha ha. (Svitov, Moyzakin, Tkachenko, Zherdev, Kosmachev, Guskov,Plehkanov, Starkov, Mayorov, Filatov..) and the first that may actually make an impact for the CBJ Gavrikov D and Tarisov G & Abramov that helped bring in Dzingal

I was certainly hoping that Bread & Bob would make it easier on them regarding culture but you have to admit our draft history with Russian born players has not been good.

Last edited:

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
last one in, last one out? Enough of that, back to one game at a time for the Columbus Bleu Jaquettes... (PLD & Texier) mentored by Marty St. Louis - there is a French connection that will certainly treat us better then our history with Russian players have..
That's a bit of a stretch. People from Quebec aren't really French. They just like to pretend. :D

Reactions: LetsGOJackets!!

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Playoffs bring me joy.

But what also brings me joy is the pain of other fans. The Jackets being regarded as a joke for years (not unfairly) has calloused me to any sympathy for other fan bases. Screw the Habs. March on.
Funny how that works. For me it engenders even more sympathy - been there, know that feel, wouldn't wish it on others unless they're really annoying. :nod:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Based on the comments from Torts , Bob , last night , it sure seems like there was a huge rift between , the room , and Bob, and Bread .

Nah. Most of the peeps here assured us that couldn't happen here and that the B&B situation would not be an issue. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad