This delay starting the Final is ridiculously stupid business

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Casual fans turn into diehard fans..I get it, hockey people are going to watch anyway. I'm just saying it could of been a big opportunity to draw in a new set of eyes the sport. Which is a good thing for hockey
I get all that, just saying that game will survive, people will watch it because it is a good series, and hockey will never come close to basketball ratings wise until ESPN and others consistently shove the sport down America's throat.

Could it have been a better situation for the NHL to avoid this?? Of course, but is it going to be a bad Finals ratings wise? I doubt that big time, I think the momentum is there fans are tuning in from all over to see this Cinderella story and I think things will be just fine.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
The only thing this delay will lead too is some ugly hockey in game 1. Well at least in the 1st period.

NeverBeNormal

Mar 27, 2007
I'll be keeping tabs on both games tomorrow. If cp3 doesn't play i'd take gsw winning that, who ya got tonight winning runner-up ha

Gonna be cheering hard for Boston mostly for the look on Kyrie's face. I know he's great but not a big Bron fan.

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
I agree even as a sharks fan when I saw my team go to the finals the extra days off was a buzz kill.

Cletus Marley

Feb 11, 2007
Cirith Ungol
I dont mind it. This weekend was packed full of non hockey stuff. I'm sure some of the players are using the extra time to heal up. Would like to see Backstrom in better shape. Monday night couldn't come soon enough though. I'm stoked for the Finals

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
They never move up the start date since they don't want more than 2 weeks max between cup final and the draft

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
And if the NHL started tonight, they would be clobbered just the same.

This year was just a no-win situation.

Thread The Needle

I have no strong feelings one way or the other.
Nov 28, 2016
Detroit
Its no big deal for me, I have learned patience in my short life. Why fret over something that's out of your control anyways? It still starts on a holiday here in the U.S. Plus, it means there's only a two day break between the finals and the start of the FIFA WC for those who watch... like me :)

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Ya isn’t this the big cottage weekend in the states? Not great for the casual fan.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Events are literally always happening in Vegas. Entertainment and Gambling is practically the main economy. It's practically a tourist town that's growing off it which is why it's a growing city. Tourism is one of the major economies that will last until the end (and much longer than oil will).

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
I really don't like the wait, but I want WSH to win and the team gets more rest after a seven game series this way, so I'm okay with it.

Bigger chance of losing their juggernaut momentum too.

Saturday evening would have been ideal

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
They had to wait for an opening in Lil Jon's schedule.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Why start a Final series on the weekend so when you can start it on the least attractive day of the week?

Was definitely gonna watch if they had started it on Friday, Saturday or Sunday.
But when the game is scheduled for 2am on a Monday ... which translates to a puck-drop-time of ~ 2:20am ... no thanks.
Saturday is actually the least attractive day as TV ratings are the worst. Sunday the NHL would have to compete with a Game 7 NBA final. I agree this would make sense but I'm glad that Monday is the day. In fact Monday nights are terrific Tv ratings for Sports. THE NCAA always plays the finals on Monday. This is also Memorial Day weekend so Saturday to me is definitely a no go.

Reactions: Drakon

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
quite frankly I don't feel like watching hockey in June.
Yep, when Seattle comes up, get rid of game 3 with conference opponent, every series are 2 games, home and away, only division games remain 4 games series. It will cut season to 75 games, regular season starts in October and ends in March, playoffs starts first day of April and ends in May.

Reactions: um

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad