Dreger: thinks the Leafs have called on Jack Johnson

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I mean I don't think it would be a 1 for 1 deal, because 1 for 1 deals are rare but I do see him in a potential deal.

Of course not. Carrick would be a throw-in for cap/contract purpose.

Dermott is a better LHD. Borgman is decent.
I like those two options far more than JJ.

Dermott certainly has the potential to be better (soon) but to call him a better hockey player than JJ right now is laughable at best. He’s played what? 7 games?

Let’s take age/cap/contract aside. If you had to build a team to win one game today and you had to pick between JJ and Dermott, who would you pick?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Bozak for JJ seems like a decent trade. middling players at their respective positions. JJ has had some good playoff success in the past as well and is an excellent leader from what I have read/heard from CBJ followers.

Why cant TOR just move Nylander to C and bring up Kapanen for the W spot?

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Bozak for JJ seems like a decent trade. middling players at their respective positions. JJ has had some good playoff success in the past as well and is an excellent leader from what I have read/heard from CBJ followers.

That would make so much sense. We keep hearing from Leafs fans that Kapanen is a sure top 6 W and Nylander is a legit C. Talk is over, it’s time to walk the walk now.

P.S: This trade is a perfect fit for both sides

rent free

Apr 6, 2015

because babcock. also nylander isn't ready for C and our lineups would be tinkered with a lot and thats something coaching staff wouldn't want to deal with. we'd have basically a new 3rd line.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
You look at JJ's stats, and the guy screams bottom pairing Dman at this stage in his career.
CBJ fans, do the stats tell the whole story here? He plays decent minutes but is a possession black hole.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
That would make so much sense. We keep hearing from Leafs fans that Kapanen is a sure top 6 W and Nylander is a legit C. Talk is over, it’s time to walk the walk now.

P.S: This trade is a perfect fit for both sides
pretty much my thinking. they have the depth to move a C, if Nylander is ready for that role. Obviously if Nylander isnt there yet they can't really lose Bozak.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
It's completely asinine to judge our defense and make a panic move because two of our best guys are our at the moment
I don’t think it’s asinine what’s he’s saying though. The problem is they don’t have any depth with those 2 guys injured. JJ would definitely help them.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
If we're picking today, Dermott. He's playing great hockey right now.

That’s call being delusional.

pretty much my thinking. they have the depth to move a C, if Nylander is ready for that role. Obviously if Nylander isnt there yet they can't really lose Bozak.

If at this point Nylander isn’t ready to slot in at C he will never be. He’s turning 22 in 3 months, it’s time for the Leafs to make a decision. You’re either a C or you’re not. If you can’t play 3C with sheltered minutes at 22 you’ll never be a full-time Center in the NHL. There’s no in between and we’ve seen it with Galchenyuk.

Reactions: Mergatroidskittle

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I don’t think it’s asinine what’s he’s saying though. The problem is they don’t have any depth with those 2 guys injured. JJ would definitely help them.
But they're likely not out for much longer. Rielly might even be back next game. If it was a long term thing I'd agree but it's just not necessary now

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
But they're likely not out for much longer. Rielly might even be back next game. If it was a long term thing I'd agree but it's just not necessary now
It’s an issue though when you have rookies and guys like carrick playing as 5/6 defenceman. What happens if gardiner or hainsey get injured when they get back. I understand young guys need to play but you don’t want to just give them spots. They need to earn it.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Leafs aren't going to pay JJ 4.5 million dollars to play on the 3rd pairing for like 14 minutes a night...

/thread
its for less than half a year and he won't be re-signed. since management think we're good enough to compete they should acquire him for a reasonable price.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017

That sure is a lot of roster/line shuffling just to accommodate a minor trade.
Doesn't seem worth it at all when you look at it that way.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

If at this point Nylander isn’t ready to slot in at C he will never be. He’s turning 22 in 3 months, it’s time for the Leafs to make a decision. You’re either a C or you’re not. If you can’t play 3C with sheltered minutes at 22 you’ll never be a full-time Center in the NHL. There’s no in between and we’ve seen it with Galchenyuk.
Hi kettle...it's me pot....you're black.

Reactions: Raging Bull

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

Great it's the center police. He's in his 2nd year and regularly takes faceoffs and has filled in at center sometimes this year. You have literally no clue what you are talking about

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
Trading for a guy making 4+ mil a year to play on our bottom pairing would be silly. The best thing for the Leafs D is to get Rielly and Zaitsev back off the IR. Borgman has played alright and Dermott has done very well. Johnson is too slow, has 0 offense this season. Plus he's going to want the same deal if not a raise from his current deal. Leafs should have no interest in him, even as a rental. Instead they should be looking at Ian Cole. Lower cost to trade for, and he isn't going to seek 4.5-5 mil a season. Or stick with what we got. I hope Lou doesn't make a big splash at the deadline. At most, a possible 4C upgrade (although Gauthier hasn't been that bad, or give Aaltonen a shot), and a bottom pairing dman. That's it.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Hi kettle...it's me pot....you're black.

Read my original post, not the answer.

Great it's the center police. He's in his 2nd year and regularly takes faceoffs and has filled in at center sometimes this year. You have literally no clue what you are talking about

Then trading Bozak for JJ makes total sense, doesn’t it? If he can fill the 3C spot then let him do it. JJ would definitely make your D better

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Then trading Bozak for JJ makes total sense, doesn’t it? If he can fill the 3C spot then let him do it. JJ would definitely make your D better[/QUOTE]
nyalnder isn't ready to be a C. toronto shouldn't make this trade

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad