Dreger: thinks the Leafs have called on Jack Johnson

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I meant the Habs situation doesn’t make the Leafs a better team than they actually are. They’re still going for a quick first round exit. They have nothing to show vs Boston or Tampa
Tra-la-la-la....except 6 straight wins. And i guess the Leafs are the only team not allowed to upgrade before the playoffs?

How about this...we've been without our 3D for 17 games...still earned points. Our best player and 1C for 10 games...we still earned points. We have played our lat 4 games without our 1D and 3D...we won 3 of them. This team is not without depth.

Last edited:
Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
And two Conference Finals in the past 7 years. You have legit #1, an offense that will loose two of their top 5 scorer after this year, a above average D and an average #1 G and nothing interesting in the pipeline aside from Lil. Don’t get your hopes too high

Habs are where they belong. That doesn’t make Toronto any better.

It makes it a mediocre team. That doesn’t make the Leafs any better

I give it to you, Hyman’s a top 9. Brown looks like he will be a top 9. Kapanen can barely be called an NHL player let alone be called a top 9.

Kapenan will be top 9 next year when Komarov leaves, or he will be traded in a package for a D man.

one of the 2 and I could see it being either one

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Wait until JVR and Bozak are gone. You won’t be able to replace what they brings to the table with guys like Kapanen and Brown. There’s level to this game and Kapanen and Brown are not and will never be on Bozak’s and JVR’s level.

We’ve seen it first hand in Montreal with the loss of Markov and Radulov. The loss of those will hirt the Leafs, a lot.
JvR brings an element that we can't replace, I don't question that. His net presence isn't something any of the other guys do well. But, aside from that net presence, the rest of his game isn't very special at all, especially in the D zone. So we drop a bit in goal scoring, and end up with someone more defensively aware... I'm not sure that the tradeoff will be huge. .6ppg guy this year... so if we drop down some, not a big deal.

Bozak is good in the dot, and mediocre elsewhere, especially in the D zone...

Komarov will be replaced by someone who will be offensively much better than him, and while he plays the PK well, not much of anything else anymore. I could see him resigned for a couple of years, for duty on the fourth line, and we'd be net better easily.

We've got multiple sophomores, who still have room to improve, and probably will... offense isn't going to be the problem here, particularly with the depth this team has. Defense is the issue, and Jack Johnson isn't the answer.

I'm not sure why this is an argument that has gone so far off topic anyway.

Montreal isn't comparable to Toronto's current situation.... It was easy to see that Montreal lacked the depth, and has for years. It's been Price primarily who has been a mega star, keeping the team competitive, and then the loss of the thin quality really hurt. No C's of note, and little Wing depth.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I meant the Habs situation doesn’t make the Leafs a better team than they actually are. They’re still going for a quick first round exit. They have nothing to show vs Boston or Tampa

Leafs have won both games against Boston this year. 2-0 record
We went 4-0 against them last year....

Boston might actually be a very good first round matchup for the Leafs... if there is such a thing.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Wait until JVR and Bozak are gone. You won’t be able to replace what they brings to the table with guys like Kapanen and Brown. There’s level to this game and Kapanen and Brown are not and will never be on Bozak’s and JVR’s level.

We’ve seen it first hand in Montreal with the loss of Markov and Radulov. The loss of those will hirt the Leafs, a lot.
leivo will replace jvr. since you don't know who leivo is, he is a big body lw than has been productive in a short period amount of time. another thing, brown is actually consistently in the lineup. you seem to forget that over and over again. markov and radulov were more important to the habs than jvr and bozak are to the leafs. you guys lost a top-pairing dman and a top line rw, we're gonna lose two sheltered 2nd liners. easier to replace.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
LHD...is there a need? no there isn't

Columbus needs up front help..... and what is JJ worth? JvR and a 2nd(cause no one named Marner or Nylander will be part of that deal),

and then what? the Leafs end up with an overload of Dmen at the NHL level.....so that's kind of useless and does nothing to take the Leafs a step closer...and yes "cap" matters

in conclusion, Dregs must be a little lonely and seeking relevance of some kind
Seems to be working quite well for VGK, NSH and Columbus. I'm sure there's a few others as well.

Wait until Rielly goes down game one of the playoffs. You can never have too many nhl ready dmen

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
JvR brings an element that we can't replace, I don't question that. His net presence isn't something any of the other guys do well. But, aside from that net presence, the rest of his game isn't very special at all, especially in the D zone. So we drop a bit in goal scoring, and end up with someone more defensively aware... I'm not sure that the tradeoff will be huge. .6ppg guy this year... so if we drop down some, not a big deal.

Bozak is good in the dot, and mediocre elsewhere, especially in the D zone...

Komarov will be replaced by someone who will be offensively much better than him, and while he plays the PK well, not much of anything else anymore. I could see him resigned for a couple of years, for duty on the fourth line, and we'd be net better easily.

We've got multiple sophomores, who still have room to improve, and probably will... offense isn't going to be the problem here, particularly with the depth this team has. Defense is the issue, and Jack Johnson isn't the answer.

I'm not sure why this is an argument that has gone so far off topic anyway.

Montreal isn't comparable to Toronto's current situation.... It was easy to see that Montreal lacked the depth, and has for years. It's been Price primarily who has been a mega star, keeping the team competitive, and then the loss of the thin quality really hurt. No C's of note, and little Wing depth.

You have to replace almost 110 points between Bozak and JVR. I doubt any of Leafs prospect who will replace the two of them will be able to even come close to filling that gap. We had to replace Markov's + Radulov's 100 points and we all saw how that went.

We weren't even talking about JJ anymore, but rather the situation in Montreal and Toronto.

Leafs have won both games against Boston this year. 2-0 record
We went 4-0 against them last year....

Boston might actually be a very good first round matchup for the Leafs... if there is such a thing.

3 years ago we went 6-0 against Tampa Bay in the regular season and lost in 5 games in the second round.

leivo will replace jvr. since you don't know who leivo is, he is a big body lw than has been productive in a short period amount of time. another thing, brown is actually consistently in the lineup. you seem to forget that over and over again. markov and radulov were more important to the habs than jvr and bozak are to the leafs. you guys lost a top-pairing dman and a top line rw, we're gonna lose two sheltered 2nd liners. easier to replace.

The chances Leivo replace JVR's production or even come close to it in his career is close to none. At his peak, he's a 30-35 points/year player and yes, I do know who Leivo is. Having Brown consistently in the line-up won't make up for the loss of production and play Bozak brings. You guys might not be aware, but he's a pretty good player, so is JVR.

We were laughed at last year when we said Markov was a decent #2. We got told over and over again that he's at best a #4, now that he's gone he's suddenly a top pairing D again? Don't underestimate the value JVR and Bozak brings to the Leafs. JVR is a high-end 2nd liner (borderline 1LW) who has a net presence and can put the puck in the net. Bozak is a very decent 2nd line C, and that doesn't grow on trees. Losing them (and to a lesser extend Komarov) will impact the Leafs ability to win games and I don't think Brown, Leivo and Kapanen can make up for their loss. They might be younger, but they're definitely not better hockey players (Beside maybe Komarov).

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
The chances Leivo replace JVR's production or even come close to it in his career is close to none. At his peak, he's a 30-35 points/year player and yes, I do know who Leivo is. Having Brown consistently in the line-up won't make up for the loss of production and play Bozak brings. You guys might not be aware, but he's a pretty good player, so is JVR.

We were laughed at last year when we said Markov was a decent #2. We got told over and over again that he's at best a #4, now that he's gone he's suddenly a top pairing D again? Don't underestimate the value JVR and Bozak brings to the Leafs. JVR is a high-end 2nd liner (borderline 1LW) who has a net presence and can put the puck in the net. Bozak is a very decent 2nd line C, and that doesn't grow on trees. Losing them (and to a lesser extend Komarov) will impact the Leafs ability to win games and I don't think Brown, Leivo and Kapanen can make up for their loss. They might be younger, but they're definitely not better hockey players (Beside maybe Komarov).[/QUOTE]

jvr and bozak bring like little value to toronto. if they're not scoring they're useless. they're defensive liabilities and as far as i'm concerned, the leafs would be a better team without them. if we replace them with at least passable defensively responsible players, we will be a better structured team. also i mentioned brown in my previous post because he's not replacing either of them. he's replacing komarov (hopfully). another thing, bozak isn't a decent C, he's a sheltered 3C getting easy minutes. same goes for jvr.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think Mackenzie said a few weeks back that Johnson isn't a fit for the Leafs. Mackenzie trumps Dreger.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

We were laughed at last year when we said Markov was a decent #2. We got told over and over again that he's at best a #4, now that he's gone he's suddenly a top pairing D again? Don't underestimate the value JVR and Bozak brings to the Leafs. JVR is a high-end 2nd liner (borderline 1LW) who has a net presence and can put the puck in the net. Bozak is a very decent 2nd line C, and that doesn't grow on trees. Losing them (and to a lesser extend Komarov) will impact the Leafs ability to win games and I don't think Brown, Leivo and Kapanen can make up for their loss. They might be younger, but they're definitely not better hockey players (Beside maybe Komarov).

jvr and bozak bring like little value to toronto. if they're not scoring they're useless. they're defensive liabilities and as far as i'm concerned, the leafs would be a better team without them. if we replace them with at least passable defensively responsible players, we will be a better structured team. also i mentioned brown in my previous post because he's not replacing either of them. he's replacing komarov (hopfully). another thing, bozak isn't a decent C, he's a sheltered 3C getting easy minutes. same goes for jvr.
[/QUOTE]

My God....you really have no clue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->