Friedman: Thinks New Jersey would consider moving 4OA for a good young defenseman

AusDev

Jan 13, 2015
This is a catch 22 situation.

A team with an established super good young defensemen won't trade him for the ?? that comes with a draft pick. Why would they?

The Devils will want an established young star for their 4th overall pick.

Unless the Devils are willing to accept, for exemple:

Dumba + Minny pick 1st pick (21)

Or a Hronek + 1st pick acquired in the Anthony Mantha deal (Washington: 22)

I don't see this kind of deal happen.

I mean it's unlikely but it does happen. Hamilton was traded for picks early. Sergachev was traded for Drouin, who while not a literal draft pick certainly had his own question marks. Sometimes teams have reasons to trade away good young players, so if anything this is likely just seeing what might be out there.

As others have said, this mostly sounds like speculation on Friedman's part, so I still think the Devils probably just end up keeping and using the pick, but who knows.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Wouldn't it be better for Devils to hang onto 4th overall and move Isles 1st for a young D stuck in logjam situation

For instance

To :devils
D Nicolas Beaudin

To :hawks
Isles 2021 1st

Beaudin future with Hawks is ? given Kalynuk emergence (Signed as FA last summer after he didn't sign with Flyers) and having Boqvist on NHL roster already not to mention Ian Mitchell being highly regarded by Hawks (Though he struggled mightily last year)

All 3 play similar style or have some overlap in skillsets offensively to Beaudin

Beaudin looked good for Hawks in his limited play last year but with several young blue liners already on team it is a uphill battle for him to secure a spot on team especially if Hawks plan to have Stillman as well (If not taken in expansion draft) on team

Hawks management have shown they will move a young player if they like the guys behind him coming up as Jokiharju trade showed (I hate that trade with a passion)

Last edited:

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Well the Devils CEO who said he wants the Devils to start spending to create a contender just stepped down. So maybe there was a difference of opinions among the higher ups on how to go forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad