Friedman: Thinks New Jersey would consider moving 4OA for a good young defenseman

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Seems obvious, provided the good young defensemen looks better than Luke Hughes.

What teams are up against the cap or can't protect all of their D?

Does Tampa do this for Serg?

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
I kinda get it. They have their proven NHL core, and they're all aged 20-24. Devils also have a number of decent young guys for depth, and they just draft Holz, Mercer and Mukhadmullin(?) in the first round.

If CBJ weren't in the division, I think they'd be a perfect candidate to get Seth Jones.

Reactions: Zippy316 and bukwas

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I’d prefer to use 4 on Hughes or Clarke and throw a blank cheque at Hamilton ?
I can kinda see the Devils not wanting to wait 1-3 years on whoever they take at #4 but ??
Bahl Muk and other d prospects are still out a year or two so not sure how impatient they are wanting a D that’s ready tight now.
God I hope it’s not for Risto.
I just think using the pick to select a D and obtaining one or two through UFA (Larson Murray Kulikov ) and/or a Dumba or Fluery or Giordano (someone available pre expansion draft ) would be the preferred way to go unless a very very very unlikely player like Dahlin could be had for #4 plus plus plus .... it will never happen
Very slight chance to trade up to #1 to take Power as he is more NHL ready? #1 I don’t see Buffalo consider that and #2 the assets it would take to go from #4 to #1 wold t be worth the difference between Power and Clarke /Hughes

Last edited:
Reactions: Smitty426

justHypnos

May 4, 2011
Montreal
Of course the Devils will draft yet another bust so perhaps they should trade the pick for a player another team developed for them. Solid self awareness, though I don't think the player exists who is a young defenseman worth the 4th overall pick and available. I personally hope they just take Edvinsson.

Reactions: deathb4disco

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Theodore
Jones

maybe a guy like rielly

/shrug …. I’d prob just make the pick 1 of ervidsson Clarke or Hughes will be there

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Of course the Devils will draft yet another bust so perhaps they should trade the pick for a player another team developed for them. Solid self awareness, though I don't think the player exists who is a young defenseman worth the 4th overall pick and available. I personally hope they just take Edvinsson.

This is a poor troll post.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
I certainly wouldn’t be opposed,

This narrative is so overblown
Maybe but Jack straight up said we should draft his brother. Trading the pick instead of not even trying to draft Luke is just insulting. It’s like saying we don’t think your brother is worth that pick, instead we’re going to trade it for someone who probably isn’t as good as your brother projects to be.

Reactions: Smitty426

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Trading a pick this high would be stupid. Draft with the 4th OA this year and then start to make moves to build a contender going forward. If they turn out to be a good team they won’t get a pick this high again for a while. Use it while you got it.

Shero tried to speed things up and it really just set us back more.

Or…they’re hedging their bet and getting a know commodity instead of a scratch off lottery card. Remember the last defenseman the Devils took at 4? Just as easily as the Devils potentially drafting a franchise top paring guy this year…they could be drafting another Larsson or worse. If a team is offering a young top 4 defenseman that still has some untapped potential, they would be dumb to not at least entertain the offer.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Maybe but Jack straight up said we should draft his brother. Trading the pick instead of not even trying to draft Luke is just insulting. It’s like saying we don’t think your brother is worth that pick, instead we’re going to trade it for someone who probably isn’t as good as your brother projects to be.

He said that because he was specially asked by the media since they love the idea of that storyline. What’s he supposed to say? “Nah, don’t draft Luke…he sucks?”

And for the record, I do want the Devils to draft Luke as my first choice - but not because he’s Jack brother.

echlfreak

Aug 1, 2003
Or do you go a different brother direction and trade 4th overall for Boqvist in Chicago? Good young d man

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Or…they’re hedging their bet and getting a know commodity instead of a scratch off lottery card. Remember the last defenseman the Devils took at 4? Just as easily as the Devils potentially drafting a franchise top paring guy this year…they could be drafting another Larsson or worse. If a team is offering a young top 4 defenseman that still has some untapped potential, they would be dumb to not at least entertain the offer.

That doesn’t make sense. If the player in question still has untapped potential then why wouldn’t they just use the 4th OA pick to draft? At least the player they pick at 4th OA would have less question marks about their NHL potential.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad