Friedman: Thinks New Jersey would consider moving 4OA for a good young defenseman

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
not a great fit with ty smith on the same team. too much overlap in terms of size, strength and weakness. i would like to see a more diversified roster.

Don't worry, the Avs have just the dman for you! Ryan Graves is a 6'5" monster, who has thrown a hit at least once in his life, and is unafraid to shoot from anywhere. He won the +/- award just the season prior, and he meshes well with any d-partner. He's been a great partner to Cale Makar, and I'm sure there's at least one person out there that would say he helped Makar become the player he is today.

You can also pair him with another defender to form a shutdown (?) pairing if you so choose. Did I mention the flow? I don't think we've seen flow like this since prime Karlsson! Honestly, with a defender that is so versatile the 4th overall is a cheap, cheap ask.

We just have one ask, we can't reverse this trade. It would just hurt too much to know what we had lost.

Nico Hughes

Jun 28, 2021
The joke, it's why none of this makes any sense. "I think New Jersey would consider" feels like "I only have 30 thoughts, better think of another."
Ive always understood it as he hears something and then projects it as a 'thought' as to avoid dealing in absolutes

If this is, in fact, just his thoughts then thats silly why it gets attention. But with Devils CEO O'Neil saying we can do whatever is needed to compete... maybe ownership wants Fitzgerald to speed things up before hes signed

Reactions: trufleshufle13

Nico Hughes

Jun 28, 2021
Don't worry, the Avs have just the dman for you! Ryan Graves is a 6'5" monster, who has thrown a hit at least once in his life, and is unafraid to shoot from anywhere. He won the +/- award just the season prior, and he meshes well with any d-partner. He's been a great partner to Cale Makar, and I'm sure there's at least one person out there that would say he helped Makar become the player he is today.

You can also pair him with another defender to form a shutdown (?) pairing if you so choose. Did I mention the flow? I don't think we've seen flow like this since prime Karlsson! Honestly, with a defender that is so versatile the 4th overall is a cheap, cheap ask.

We just have one ask, we can't reverse this trade. It would just hurt too much to know what we had lost.
Still not sure why Colorado locked him to to term so quickly

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Ive always understood it as he hears something and then projects it as a 'thought' as to avoid dealing in absolutes

If this is, in fact, just his thoughts then thats silly why it gets attention. But with Devils CEO O'Neil saying we can do whatever is needed to compete... maybe ownership wants Fitzgerald to speed things up before hes signed
You are right, but most of the time he usually says, "heard rumblings" or "from a source" or something like that. I read this as him sitting on the toilet and just thinking.

Reactions: Nico Hughes

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Maybe but Jack straight up said we should draft his brother. Trading the pick instead of not even trying to draft Luke is just insulting. It’s like saying we don’t think your brother is worth that pick, instead we’re going to trade it for someone who probably isn’t as good as your brother projects to be.
Who cares what Jack said? If the organization goes out and drafts Luke just to keep Jack happy, they have bigger problems than worrying about Jack wanting out in a few years. The organization should use that pick to get the best return possible, whether it's the best player in the draft, or the best player they can trade that pick for.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Who cares what Jack said? If the organization goes out and drafts Luke just to keep Jack happy, they have bigger problems than worrying about Jack wanting out in a few years. The organization should use that pick to get the best return possible, whether it's the best player in the draft, or the best player they can trade that pick for.
Easy to say as a Rangers fan. You guys have zero issues getting people to want to play there.

A team like NJ has to go out of their way to get people to want to come to/stay in NJ. I just don’t see how they can pass on the opportunity to make an important part of their core happier.

Personally I’ve watched too many players walk away from the Devils over the years. Part of it is due to Lou’s stubbornness on how to deal with pending free agents but I’m not willing to take chances anymore. Not with this young core. Do what it takes to lock them up is where I stand right now.

It’s not like they’d be reaching by drafting Luke. He’s projected to go where they’re picking so I don’t see what the big deal is. Draft a great defender and make his brother happy. Win/win.

Reactions: HBK27 and Smitty426

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Easy to say as a Rangers fan. You guys have zero issues getting people to want to play there.

A team like NJ has to go out of their way to get people to want to come to/stay in NJ. I just don’t see how they can pass on the opportunity to make an important part of their core happier.

Personally I’ve watched too many players walk away from the Devils over the years. Part of it is due to Lou’s stubbornness on how to deal with pending free agents but I’m not willing to take chances anymore. Not with this young core. Do what it takes to lock them up is where I stand right now.

It’s not like they’d be reaching by drafting Luke. He’s projected to go where they’re picking so I don’t see what the big deal is. Draft a great defender and make his brother happy. Win/win.

While I agree with what you're saying, there is absolutely no reason to not make the pick available, it'd be bad if they didn't, every pick should be on the table for the right offer... that being said, it's unlikely they'll find a partner willing to pay what they feel the price should be.
Just because they're listening doesn't mean a trade is imminent

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
While I agree with what you're saying, there is absolutely no reason to not make the pick available, it'd be bad if they didn't, every pick should be on the table for the right offer... that being said, it's unlikely they'll find a partner willing to pay what they feel the price should be.
Just because they're listening doesn't mean a trade is imminent
Fair enough, like you I just don’t see anything being offered that would make it worth trading the pick. What we’re looking for is available with the 4th OA pick.

It just feels like trading the pick would be a move to speed up the rebuild which I just can’t get behind right now. It’s not like our guys are lighting it up and we’re just one player away from being contenders or even making the playoffs.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Why wouldn't they just draft a good young defenceman with the pick like one of Hughes/clarke/ edvinsson?

Nico Hughes

Jun 28, 2021
Why wouldn't they just draft a good young defenceman with the pick like one of Hughes/clarke/ edvinsson?
The thought is ownership wants the team to begin to take the turn into the playoffs and drafting a 17yr old Luke Hughes wont help that for two years or so

Tom Fitzgerald, our GM, isnt currently signed past July 1st. So its safe to assume he will likely make one move to pander to ownership; whether thats trade the pick, use it on Luke, or even acquire a free agent like Hamilton.

This is all my speculation but its rooted in ownerships comments over the last year, as well as the general direction of the team. Also our CEO Scott ONeil has said Fitzgerald has full power to sign and make moves to help us, moneys not capped for him

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Lol @ people saying Rielly.

If Leafs trade Rielly for 4th and pick Hughes, then use capspace to sign someone like Hamilton then they just made NJD and rest of NHL their b****es.

No team should help Toronto with Rielly. Let him re-sign and let Toronto regret it. Rielly isn't worth anything over 5 mil and is a great 2nd pair defender on a championship team, or on the top pair with a significantly better RD, nothing more.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020

I say screw ownership they have screwed the fans enough let the HOCKEY PEOPLE run the team....NJD'S should stick to the rebuild Fitz has proven himself if they don't keep him he will not be unemployed long......If owners meddle to much the GM should walk

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
The thought is ownership wants the team to begin to take the turn into the playoffs and drafting a 17yr old Luke Hughes wont help that for two years or so

Tom Fitzgerald, our GM, isnt currently signed past July 1st. So its safe to assume he will likely make one move to pander to ownership; whether thats trade the pick, use it on Luke, or even acquire a free agent like Hamilton.

This is all my speculation but its rooted in ownerships comments over the last year, as well as the general direction of the team. Also our CEO Scott ONeil has said Fitzgerald has full power to sign and make moves to help us, moneys not capped for him
Last time they did that (2014)....it sent the team back years.....hopefully they don't do that again and allow the team to grow/develop/rebuild the right way....so they can sustain long term success eventually

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
No way if Luke Hughes is available at 4 (not taken, available) and the Devs trade that pick, its a PR nightmare, nvm what Jack thinks. And then Luke goes on to light it up! The optics are: "we saw your brother there and we decided no way, we can do better" This isn't Joel Lundqvist, its a very good, highly rated player. Best case for Fitz is that Luke is either taken at 2 or 3 or all others we want are gone by 4 and Luke is there, thats why he was pissed at the draft lottery, its a little dicier

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerzey Devil

Nico Hughes

Jun 28, 2021
Last time they did that (2014)....it sent the team back years.....hopefully they don't do that again and allow the team to grow/develop/rebuild the right way....so they can sustain long term success eventually
If done properly it can work, just would require the right deal (so not a goaltender)

I have faith if we move the pick itd be for quite the name and Devils fans would be pleasantly surprised that type of player was available

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
If done properly it can work, just would require the right deal (so not a goaltender)

I have faith if we move the pick itd be for quite the name and Devils fans would be pleasantly surprised that type of player was available
if you'd like Justin Faulk or Vladimir Tarasenko....let me know lol

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
My thought as well but maybe they don’t want to wait the 2-3 years and they have a plan on who and when they want their core players to come off their ELC / hit UFA ?
Maybe just kicking the tires to see if some team overpays and they get someone that is better than what Hughes / Clarke / projects to be?
As a devils fan I’d rather they just draft Hughes or if Hughes is fine go Clarke .
Maybe they have a few irons in the fire and have trades lined up and UFA that makes sense to not use pick #4 ???

Reactions: Smitty426

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
It makes sense to draft someone and hope they turn out, but if a team were to drop a Sergachev for it they'd be foolish to not at least consider it

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
This is a catch 22 situation.

A team with an established super good young defensemen won't trade him for the ?? that comes with a draft pick. Why would they?

The Devils will want an established young star for their 4th overall pick.

Unless the Devils are willing to accept, for exemple:

Dumba + Minny pick 1st pick (21)

Or a Hronek + 1st pick acquired in the Anthony Mantha deal (Washington: 22)

I don't see this kind of deal happen.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
Do it Jersey!

You're the crypto guy so I'll put this in crypto terms

Shiba Inu has a better chance of hitting one dollar than the Devils do of trading 4th OV.

The 28th OV and a prospect I think will be in play.

Like do something around the Isles pick and Jesper Boqvist for an established defenseman like Seth Jones I think that's a fair deal.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
You're the crypto guy so I'll put this in crypto terms

Shiba Inu has a better chance of hitting one dollar than the Devils do of trading 4th OV.

The 28th OV and a prospect I think will be in play.

Like do something around the Isles pick and Jesper Boqvist for an established defenseman like Seth Jones I think that's a fair deal.
Oh trust me, i think there is an absolute zero chance it happens.

Top 5 picks just dont get traded anymore and shouldnt.

KovalSNIPE

Feb 9, 2011
If I were GM, I would be willing to take on a bad contract (not Johnson) if TB would trade us Sergachev for the NYI 1st and a prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad