Friedman: Thinks New Jersey would consider moving 4OA for a good young defenseman

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Just absurdly inaccurate.
Outside of the top 2-3 the rest is pretty much a crapshoot. Picks are not valued as highly as in better stacked drafts, it just is what it is. Outside of Power, Beniers and Hughes there are still good potential players but they start dropping off quick.

Last edited:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
That’s literally if you only looking at pt totals you’d think Jack sucks. Jack’s underlying numbers and especially his defensive numbers were outstanding this year. His transition stats are out of this world (and were last year). His shot contributions were great. Literally only the raw pt totals can be seen as an issue. OEL’s underlying numbers on the other hand have been brutal for years at this point. OEL should have negative value at this point with how he’s played and the fact that he has one of the worst deals in the league.

You do not touch this guy with a mile long pole.

I think people should stop using those "advanced stats" charts to mean anything. They're usually pretty worthless. Most people analyzing hockey stats miss the mark on the "underlying stats" game. This isn't to say that OEL is worth his contract (he's not, anymore), but just that putting up some picture with colored blocks doesn't do a dang thing to display that. Hockey's advanced stats are really not ready for prime time as should have been evidenced by advanced stat maven John Chayka's massive flameout in Arizona. Hockey's advanced stats are just point watching by another name.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Outside of the top 2-3 the reset is pretty much a crapshoot. Picks are not valued as highly as in better stacked drafts, it just is what it is. Outside of Power, Beniers and Hughes there are still good potential players but they start dropping off quick.

the depth of the draft is the same as it is any year in regards to talent

The reason people think its a "weak draft" is because there is no McDavid or Matthews.

Saying 4th overall is the same as a late round pick is just utterly ridiculous.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I think people should stop using those "advanced stats" charts to mean anything. They're usually pretty worthless. Most people analyzing hockey stats miss the mark on the "underlying stats" game. This isn't to say that OEL is worth his contract (he's not, anymore), but just that putting up some picture with colored blocks doesn't do a dang thing to display that. Hockey's advanced stats are really not ready for prime time as should have been evidenced by advanced stat maven John Chayka's massive flameout in Arizona. Hockey's advanced stats are just point watching by another name.

Chayka was a fraud whose moves were always widely criticized by the analytics community...

Reactions: MakoSlade

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Who would be available that's worth 4OA? I guess it depends on what their definition of "young" is.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Outside of the top 2-3 the rest is pretty much a crapshoot. Picks are not valued as highly as in better stacked drafts, it just is what it is. Outside of Power, Beniers and Hughes there are still good potential players but they start dropping off quick.
You named 3, unless you think Clarke has a strong chance to drop to late in the 1st round, the 4th OA is not the same a late first. Interchange any name in the top 5-6 and run the same drill. Still doesn't make it the same as late round pick.

Nico Hughes

Jun 28, 2021
If were trading that pick Im expecting an insanely good defenseman back

I just dont see why a team would do that (move a young, top pair dman for a 4th overall and maybe some more)

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I'd be very interested in Sam Girard.
No thanks. He is a very good D but we have Smith that plays a similar game and we witnessed in the playoffs how he (Girard )gets exposed somewhat. Yes he is an upgrade on what we have but if we are building a perennial contender , I’d rather be patient and build a “team” not just accumulate skill

Nico Hughes

Jun 28, 2021
Not putting Bratt in for that and I doubt Theodore gets moved.

Dunn for the Isles pick sure, but Dunn doesn't move you up 12 spots...

Basically.
Dunn sort of stinks. I wouldnt trade Ny's first for him

hes good when sheltered and bad when
Not

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
If were trading that pick Im expecting an insanely good defenseman back

I just dont see why a team would do that (move a young, top pair dman for a 4th overall and maybe some more)
Well have you ever thought that maybe they want a young, top pair dman and they could pick one with that pick?

Nico Hughes

Jun 28, 2021
Well have you ever thought that maybe they want a young, top pair dman and they could pick one with that pick?
if a team was trading us a young top pair dman theyre likely drafting a forward with the pick.

why would they trade us a young to pair dman to then try and draft one with the fourth overall? (Unless theyre rebuilding)

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
if a team was trading us a young top pair dman theyre likely drafting a forward with the pick.

why would they trade us a young to pair dman to then try and draft one with the fourth overall? (Unless theyre rebuilding)
The joke, it's why none of this makes any sense. "I think New Jersey would consider" feels like "I only have 30 thoughts, better think of another."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad