Goalies: Thinking of playing Goalie at age 32

Hank4Hart

Apr 10, 2007
Tibial Plateau Fracture & Contusion. I think in English that means a fractured knee. I'm out 4-12 weeks guys. Very frustrated but they want me off the leg asap, so they set me up to pickup some crutches today.

Funny thing is they called when I was on a Skype session with Hugo ordering my new set of Passau Axiom pads. He says "Lets add another 1 inch to the knee padding" lol. When the pads show, will be about perfect time for me to get back on the ice! I will be back in 4 weeks an overcome this.

"I'LL BE BACK!"

rough...

well on the flip side you get to stare at the new gear for a few weeks before turning them into ruined trash :P

HockeyStickHomicide

Registered Abuser
Mar 2, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
Dude that super sucks. Spend the whole time on *youtube watching highlight reels of saves. Then come back with a vengeance. Hope your knee heals up real well.

Don't skip out on any rehab you can do for it(not sure if there is rehab for this injury, but yeah.)

Hang in there.

Last edited:

FreshNsoClean

Skater turned Goalie
Mar 15, 2008
State of Hockey
Dude that super sucks. Spend the whole time on ebay watching highlight reels of saves. Then come back with a vengeance. Hope your knee heals up real well.

Don't skip out on any rehab you can do for it(not sure if there is rehab for this injury, but yeah.)

Hang in there.

Yup going to order that DVD set http://www.futurepro.com/ - 8 DVDs for $65 total. Not bad. Heard it's pretty good and recent techniques. It will give me a month mentally to prepare and sell my old pads.

FreshNsoClean

Skater turned Goalie
Mar 15, 2008
State of Hockey
Man it's funny looking back at my original posts and seeing how much of a noob I was. Heck I'm still learning but dang... I was looking at 31 intermediate pads?... lol

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
Yup going to order that DVD set http://www.futurepro.com/ - 8 DVDs for $65 total. Not bad. Heard it's pretty good and recent techniques. It will give me a month mentally to prepare and sell my old pads.

It's a very good instructional DVD. You should also download the free manual on the website too.

BTW, as a new goalie what made you go with Passau and pads you've never tried on before?

CoopALoop

Apr 19, 2012
Van, Bandwagoner
You are not alone Glenn... hundreds upon hundreds have dealt with the same problems.

www.goaliecrease.net great for Goalies and great ownership!

Oh god, no goaliecrease. I feel like the general knowledge on the site in comparison to GSBB is leagues worse.

I went through the 3-4 week waiting period for GSBB as well. Still worth it in the end.

Also, you're looking slick in your gear Fresh.

Hank4Hart

Apr 10, 2007
funny, i got my GSBB activation in like 2 seconds... but the goaliecrease one never came (registered in april)

and look what i found in my mail box today

Helllo, XXXXXXX!

While going through our records we found that your account is still awaiting email activation to become a member of the Goalie Crease Network community. We want you to share your goaltending experiences, your opinions of gear, and join in the fun! We hope by resending this information you will join us so you can make posts, enter contests, and create your own goalie blog!

Your activation information is below:

FreshNsoClean

Skater turned Goalie
Mar 15, 2008
State of Hockey
goaliecrease has a new owner as of a month ago... big changes... great dude and I love the setup 1000x more than GSBB. Only thing GSBB has on them is numbers. Knowledge has been no different imo. Owner is a vet and extremely knowledgeable. To each their own though. No biggy.

FreshNsoClean

Skater turned Goalie
Mar 15, 2008
State of Hockey
funny, i got my GSBB activation in like 2 seconds... but the goaliecrease one never came (registered in april)

and look what i found in my mail box today

Helllo, XXXXXXX!

While going through our records we found that your account is still awaiting email activation to become a member of the Goalie Crease Network community. We want you to share your goaltending experiences, your opinions of gear, and join in the fun! We hope by resending this information you will join us so you can make posts, enter contests, and create your own goalie blog!

Your activation information is below:

That's "synesthete" the owner, cleaning up the mess.

FreshNsoClean

Skater turned Goalie
Mar 15, 2008
State of Hockey
It's a very good instructional DVD. You should also download the free manual on the website too.

BTW, as a new goalie what made you go with Passau and pads you've never tried on before?

I had my fun with the Bauers and got the feel I needed. Very easy decision to go with Passau and here's why.

1. Best service imaginable, you're not just a number, you matter. Hugo spent a hour on Skype showing me every option and adjusting the pads to my needs.
2. That brings me to Customization, Colors are obvious, but I don't see any place doing anywhere near what Passau does for you. Example is I just broke my knee, so Hugo says "well we better add another inch of padding on the knee!" lol
3. Prices are beyond competitive
4. Quality is top notch.
5. I've yet to read one negative review from any of their products. User reviews are all positive.
6. 3 week turn around

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
I had my fun with the Bauers and got the feel I needed. Very easy decision to go with Passau and here's why.

1. Best service imaginable, you're not just a number, you matter. Hugo spent a hour on Skype showing me every option and adjusting the pads to my needs.
2. That brings me to Customization, Colors are obvious, but I don't see any place doing anywhere near what Passau does for you. Example is I just broke my knee, so Hugo says "well we better add another inch of padding on the knee!" lol
3. Prices are beyond competitive
4. Quality is top notch.
5. I've yet to read one negative review from any of their products. User reviews are all positive.
6. 3 week turn around

Glad you had such a positive experience with them.

For anyone that has the cash to get "pro" pads, I would definitely recommend going with one of the smaller companies (Simmons, Passau, PAW, etc) rather than the bigger companies. You will get great service, a great product and at a better price while supporting North American companies.

Just as an example, the inside toe of my Simmons pads were wearing much more than I thought they should have been (pads are 9 months old). They told me to ship them back and they would repair at no cost in addition to sending me a set of loaner pads to use. The day my pads arrived there, their loaners arrived here. I also told them that I was starting to feel some stingers with my glove so they told me to ship it back and they would beef it back up. On the other hand, there is a thread on the GSBB about a guy with Bauer pads that had a similar problem after less than 2 months of wear. Bauer wouldn't do anything for him.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Glad you had such a positive experience with them.

For anyone that has the cash to get "pro" pads, I would definitely recommend going with one of the smaller companies (Simmons, Passau, PAW, etc) rather than the bigger companies. You will get great service, a great product and at a better price while supporting North American companies.

Just as an example, the inside toe of my Simmons pads were wearing much more than I thought they should have been (pads are 9 months old). They told me to ship them back and they would repair at no cost in addition to sending me a set of loaner pads to use. The day my pads arrived there, their loaners arrived here. I also told them that I was starting to feel some stingers with my glove so they told me to ship it back and they would beef it back up. On the other hand, there is a thread on the GSBB about a guy with Bauer pads that had a similar problem after less than 2 months of wear. Bauer wouldn't do anything for him.

I'm surprised more goalies don't use Simmons. After I used the Matrix II pads, I got the Matrix III pads, blocker and glove and am never going back to Reebok, or Vaughn or Bauer. Simmons is less expensive yet just as high quality and they seem to really try.

FreshNsoClean

Skater turned Goalie
Mar 15, 2008
State of Hockey
Here's all the options I went through with Hugo, along with some other minor adjustments. I'm 95% done. Final color and Flex is what I have left (might go extra flex at boot).
screenshot20121030at348.png

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
I'm surprised more goalies don't use Simmons. After I used the Matrix II pads, I got the Matrix III pads, blocker and glove and am never going back to Reebok, or Vaughn or Bauer. Simmons is less expensive yet just as high quality and they seem to really try.

Some are turned off by Mark's "anti-Chinese made gear" antics. Others don't like the fact that they reverse engineer the major OEMs gear.

That being said their level of service is top notch. Not to knock Fresh, but I wouldn't drop the cash for custom gear without trying it on first. I went up to their store last December to check it all out. I spent nearly 2 hours there trying on different pads, gloves and blockers. Mark and Rick were extremely helpful and in no way did I feel like they were trying to rush me at all. They have a customer for life and a potential one with my 6 year old goalie son.

Fresh, are you getting all black pads? You might want to reconsider as black Jenpro can wear more than white (part of the issue with my pads). Also, no sliding toe bridge? With your knee injury you might want to consider that. It will relieve some stress on your knees and ankles.

Hank4Hart

Apr 10, 2007
Some are turned off by Mark's "anti-Chinese made gear" antics. Others don't like the fact that they reverse engineer the major OEMs gear.

That being said their level of service is top notch. Not to knock Fresh, but I wouldn't drop the cash for custom gear without trying it on first. I went up to their store last December to check it all out. I spent nearly 2 hours there trying on different pads, gloves and blockers. Mark and Rick were extremely helpful and in no way did I feel like they were trying to rush me at all. They have a customer for life and a potential one with my 6 year old goalie son.

Fresh, are you getting all black pads? You might want to reconsider as black Jenpro can wear more than white (part of the issue with my pads). Also, no sliding toe bridge? With your knee injury you might want to consider that. It will relieve some stress on your knees and ankles.

RE: Simmons. Yeah their gear is very nice. And honestly with the graphics there are so many versions of pads in the history of goalie equipment that no matter what design they come up with there is going to be a comparable so thats really a moot point people are arguing over.

Its Mark's Anti-Chinese thing that gets to me. And for that I will never ever purchase a set of Simmons even if they are the best bang for the buck. I have no problems with him saying that Canadians made goods are better (that is fact). Its his amazing level of ignorance regarding how the system works in China and the Chinese people that bugs me. Don't point fingers at people all over the place if your knowledge about them are so limited! Being Chinese-Canadian myself, I have voiced my opinion regarding this to Mark in the past, as have many others on GSBB, but he chooses to stick to his guns and beliefs despite the wrong knowledge of his. He also said it himself that if he was gonna lose customers this way, then so be it.

But anyway, Simmons do make a great product so people who are using them are in good hands.

As for the black gear, OP have you thought about going all black weave?

FreshNsoClean

Skater turned Goalie
Mar 15, 2008
State of Hockey

Sliding toe bridge is another thing I'm considering. I understand the risk I'm taking but I have no problem with it. If for some reason I don't like it, I'll just sell it. Yeah I'll lose a couple hundred bucks but I don't care. I'm sure it will all be fine. I've learned a lot from the Bauers of what I do and do not like.

I know you made it clear but do you want to elaborate on why I may have issues with the black? or give me an example. I'm not going white, that's for sure. Brand new they are amazing, used they look terrible to me.

Thanks again

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
Sliding toe bridge is another thing I'm considering. I understand the risk I'm taking but I have no problem with it. If for some reason I don't like it, I'll just sell it. Yeah I'll lose a couple hundred bucks but I don't care. I'm sure it will all be fine. I've learned a lot from the Bauers of what I do and do not like.

I know you made it clear but do you want to elaborate on why I may have issues with the black? or give me an example. I'm not going white, that's for sure. Brand new they are amazing, used they look terrible to me.

Thanks again

The only explanation I can give you is that Mark told me that "black can be a "b***h" as he has had a few bad experiences with black.

That said, black does not look all that great either when it starts to wear down. Wear is wear.

With regards to the sliding toe bridge, I don't see any down side to getting it.

FreshNsoClean

Skater turned Goalie
Mar 15, 2008
State of Hockey
The only explanation I can give you is that Mark told me that "black can be a "b***h" as he has had a few bad experiences with black.

That said, black does not look all that great either when it starts to wear down. Wear is wear.

With regards to the sliding toe bridge, I don't see any down side to getting it.

ok I'll see if I can find some examples, or worn black Passau's

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
not that it will make a difference in your decision... but it won't be a couple hundred... more like 500 at least

No doubt, especially "odd" colored ones and if you have any embroidery done (which it looks like you might be doing on the toe). Black pads are becoming less and less common.

Fresh, I would ask Hugo if they have has any issues with black jenpro.

BTW, here's the thread I was referring to with the black Bauers.

http://www.goaliestore.com/board/equipment-reviews/102903-bauer-totalone-pads-review.html

As you can see in the pic, that kind of wear to me looks worse than puckmarks on white pads.

FreshNsoClean

Skater turned Goalie
Mar 15, 2008
State of Hockey
No doubt, especially "odd" colored ones and if you have any embroidery done (which it looks like you might be doing on the toe). Black pads are becoming less and less common.

Hugo says he's heard of no issues with Black, he actually recommends it. He already added the option for the sliding toe bridge. I'll see if there's something else I like. I do want Red either way.

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
Hugo says he's heard of no issues with Black, he actually recommends it. He already added the option for the sliding toe bridge. I'll see if there's something else I like. I do want Red either way.

I hope you have better luck than I do and the guy with the Bauers.

Lesson learned, back to white for my next set.

FreshNsoClean

Skater turned Goalie
Mar 15, 2008
State of Hockey

BTW, here's the thread I was referring to with the black Bauers.

http://www.goaliestore.com/board/equipment-reviews/102903-bauer-totalone-pads-review.html

As you can see in the pic, that kind of wear to me looks worse than puckmarks on white pads.

I skimmed through that thread. Those are Bauers though, not Passau. I get what you're saying.

I don't mean this as a smartass or anything but I don't care at all what is common or not. I don't think it will impact re-sale that much. My red Bauer's aren't common but I won't have a problem moving them. At the Goalie clinic everyone absolutely loved them, even the instructors. I'm the type that doesn't like to be the same as everyone else. I just do what I want and what I like. If white is common, that's fine. It looks terrible to me. I want to look and feel good. I think my current pads look great and black is even better.

These aren't what I'm getting, but similar and damn they look good.
548809_396281523779134_1130040031_n.jpg

247819_396282947112325_909501315_n.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad