Goalies: Thinking of playing Goalie at age 32

Hank4Hart

Apr 10, 2007
I skimmed through that thread. Those are Bauers though, not Passau. I get what you're saying.

I don't mean this as a smartass or anything but I don't care at all what is common or not. I don't think it will impact re-sale that much. My red Bauer's aren't common but I won't have a problem moving them. At the Goalie clinic everyone absolutely loved them, even the instructors. I'm the type that doesn't like to be the same as everyone else. I just do what I want and what I like. If white is common, that's fine. It looks terrible to me. I want to look and feel good. I think my current pads look great and black is even better.

These aren't what I'm getting, but similar and damn they look good.
548809_396281523779134_1130040031_n.jpg

247819_396282947112325_909501315_n.jpg

try orange nylon sides with that

CoopALoop

Apr 19, 2012
Van, Bandwagoner
I've heard nothing but good things about Simmons pads. Solid choice for sure.

I'm a fan of white based gear only because I really do enjoy the look of it once it has been pelted by a bunch of rubber. Each mark is a job done right. It's kind of a pride/ego thing really. :laugh:

I don't have much experience with Bauer leg pads (only worn Reebok and Vaughn) but Bauer gloves are by far my favourite. Vaughn gloves are close, but Bauer glove desings just feel better to me.

Also, that Bauer thread on GSBB had me raise my eyebrows. I've met a coupel guys who have had pro level totalone leg pads for over a year and haven't had that damage by any stretch. Seems like a one off situation and a major bummer that Bauer didn't bite the bullet for some customer service satisfaction.

Though, Fresh, I am quite jealous. You just started tending and your pads look alot better than mine and they match!

Here is my **** mix of gear:

IMG-20120619-00012.jpg

Old Family Picture

IMG-20120728-00030.jpg

New (2 months old) V5 Pro Spec Chesty

Hank4Hart

Apr 10, 2007
I've heard nothing but good things about Simmons pads. Solid choice for sure.

I'm a fan of white based gear only because I really do enjoy the look of it once it has been pelted by a bunch of rubber. Each mark is a job done right. It's kind of a pride/ego thing really. :laugh:

I don't have much experience with Bauer leg pads (only worn Reebok and Vaughn) but Bauer gloves are by far my favourite. Vaughn gloves are close, but Bauer glove desings just feel better to me.

Also, that Bauer thread on GSBB had me raise my eyebrows. I've met a coupel guys who have had pro level totalone leg pads for over a year and haven't had that damage by any stretch. Seems like a one off situation and a major bummer that Bauer didn't bite the bullet for some customer service satisfaction.

Though, Fresh, I am quite jealous. You just started tending and your pads look alot better than mine and they match!

Here is my **** mix of gear:

IMG-20120619-00012.jpg

Old Family Picture

IMG-20120728-00030.jpg

New (2 months old) V5 Pro Spec Chesty

how in the world do you go from a set of no break reeboks to a set of double break vaughns?!!?!

i use single break reeboks now, i dont think i could go back to vaughn...

i ll snap up a full picture of my gears once my used vaughn 7600 set (which i probably will sell after) and my itech 960 shows up at my door!

oh yeah... regarding the bauer total ones that have been breaking... thats a prime example of why bauer should stick to making player gears and stay out of the goalie gear business haha

CoopALoop

Apr 19, 2012
Van, Bandwagoner
how in the world do you go from a set of no break reeboks to a set of double break vaughns?!!?!

i ll snap up a full picture of my gears once my used vaughn 7600 set (which i probably will sell after) and my itech 960 shows up at my door!

oh yeah... regarding the bauer total ones that have been breaking... thats a prime example of why bauer should stick to making player gears and stay out of the goalie gear business haha

The reeboks were no outer break, 2 internal breaks. Really stiff pads, were my first pads i've ever played in. Chose the vaughns from reviews based on the flexibility and ease of movemnt that alot of Vaughn users swear by. Haven't been dissapointed at all, i've actually thrived off of the change.

Though, The double break does very little for me since I keep the nylon straps really loose. They don't curve much with my leg. I've got enough hip flexibility to make it work. I think for my next pad I'll be looking into the Warrior line.

Single break, alot of bootflex and knee rolls are so far the major requirements that I've settled on.

Edit: An old video from early this year. I've improved considerably since this video, but this was about the 1 year mark in regards to my length of time playing in net.

http://www.goalcam.com/WatchHighlight.aspx?HighlightID=2914

Was our first win of the season.

Double Edit: :laugh: jesus, I look shaky there. Look at that slouched butterfly

Last edited:

FreshNsoClean

Skater turned Goalie
Mar 15, 2008
State of Hockey
Can't pull up that vid at work but I'll check it out when I get home. Your gear is nice man. I do feel the same about the puck marks and think it does look badass, but only to an extent. When the puck marks start taking over the pad I think it looks terrible.

I LOVE my Bauer glove. Just perfect. Double T the puck just hits in there perfect. Blocker I can't say the same, don't like it much at all.

I really love this site, and the peeps I've met so far. If they don't want to give us Goalies our own sub-forum then I think we just need to start a thread. Just to hang out, talk gear, post gear pics, talk games, post games, pros and cons of gear and gamestyle..ect. If it were a Goalie forum I'd post about 20 different threads by now, but since it's not it just feels odd. I know there are Goalie specific sites but I like the peeps at HF & goaliecrease.net (not.com). At least we have this thread for now. Love it, love the info and everything you guys have posted and talked about.

I can do this all day, all night. Goalie bro's for life.... love you guys in a non gay way... :yo:

Hank4Hart

Apr 10, 2007
Single break, alot of bootflex and knee rolls are so far the major requirements that I've settled on.

sounds like you will need the new CCM or gnetiks! haha

single break + bootflex + flat faced pad that rocket launches the rebounds to the corners for me :)

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
I skimmed through that thread. Those are Bauers though, not Passau. I get what you're saying.

Yes, I know those are Bauers and I know mine are Simmons, but they get their Jenpro from the same suppliers.

Love your the last pic you posted. My next ones will have a red outer roll, white base and blue accents.

Skate lace pocket? I'll let you know next week when I get my glove back from Simmons. I had them beef it up and install the skate lace.

FreshNsoClean

Skater turned Goalie
Mar 15, 2008
State of Hockey
Well I'm done with my order now, well at least all the specs. Now it's just colors. The color editor doesn't let you mess with the outer roll. It's frustrating me a bit. I know they can do it but of course I want to see it before I order ya know. Anyone know someone that can photoshop? I'd like to see what silver looks like on this outer roll.

axiom5.jpg

FreshNsoClean

Skater turned Goalie
Mar 15, 2008
State of Hockey
Yes, I know those are Bauers and I know mine are Simmons, but they get their Jenpro from the same suppliers.

Love your the last pic you posted. My next ones will have a red outer roll, white base and blue accents.

Skate lace pocket? I'll let you know next week when I get my glove back from Simmons. I had them beef it up and install the skate lace.

Yeah.. I think the black will be ok, but I'm looking at red options too. I'd be done by now if the color editor had outer roll option and the glove and blocker were there. I'm in no rush though. I just want to get this submitted by next week for sure. Then I'll be on target to play again when the pads come. You damn well know when these pads show up, there's no way the knee is holding me back!

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
Yeah.. I think the black will be ok, but I'm looking at red options too. I'd be done by now if the color editor had outer roll option and the glove and blocker were there. I'm in no rush though. I just want to get this submitted by next week for sure. Then I'll be on target to play again when the pads come. You damn well know when these pads show up, there's no way the knee is holding me back!

It's not the Passau pad, but on the color customizer for the Simmons UL7s you can change the outer roll color (color 3). That will give you an idea of what they will look like.

I'm in the same boat as you though, the customizer for the 997s doesn't have an option to change the outer roll either.

FreshNsoClean

Skater turned Goalie
Mar 15, 2008
State of Hockey
It's not the Passau pad, but on the color customizer for the Simmons UL7s you can change the outer roll color (color 3). That will give you an idea of what they will look like.

I'm in the same boat as you though, the customizer for the 997s doesn't have an option to change the outer roll either.

ok good idea bro... I'll google it

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
It's ok, I ended up getting it. Their editor isn't bad, but the pad preview isn't the greatest. I don't think it gives you a a true feel. I think I'm going to find a photoshop guro to edit this kind of pic.

557826_399993910074562_1583360043_n.jpg

FWIW, a picture is fine, but once you actually have them in hand, the pictures won't do it justice.

Simmons sent me pics of my pads when they were ready to ship and while they looked great, they looked even better once I had them in hand.

FreshNsoClean

Skater turned Goalie
Mar 15, 2008
State of Hockey
FWIW, a picture is fine, but once you actually have them in hand, the pictures won't do it justice.

Simmons sent me pics of my pads when they were ready to ship and while they looked great, they looked even better once I had them in hand.

Oh I feel ya. Same thing with my Harley Sportster 48. Pics are very blah, then you see it in real life and it's amazing. The Passau editor needs more options, but the pad preview isn't bad at all. Then I just started thinking that any avg Photoshop user can edit the real pics. That would be perfect. I'll just find someone and pay them 5,10,20 bucks.

Hank4Hart

Apr 10, 2007

Are you sure about this? From what I have seen and heard, the boot bindings wear out notoriously faster on the Bauer pads....

Imperative

Nov 2, 2012
What size and are they vertical stitch? I may be interested in your 7600 set.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad