Goalies: Thinking of playing Goalie at age 32

FreshNsoClean

Skater turned Goalie
Mar 15, 2008
State of Hockey
Been playing most of my life but since I broke my shoulder on the ice in 2009 I haven't laced up. Just lost that love/fun factor and didn't care. Recently I was thinking of reffing, but I don't know if I would really enjoy it much. I've gotten the itch to play Goalie after watching the NHL chan the past month. I played a game when I was like 12 years old and only let in 1 goal when I took my glove off to make sure I was covering the puck, but I saved about 10 break-aways, I remember it being a blast. I threw on someone's pads like 4 years ago and it was pretty much a trainwreck, understandably so.

Anyways, I know you young ones may troll a bit which is fine but to you serious players, I would think better late than never right. I'm still in good shape and consider myself a GREAT skater with a ton of speed but had always had a weak shot. I have an Adult Camp I can attend & will buy some Goalie DVDs. With work & dedication I'm the type that thinks anything is possible, so I know I could end up being a decent goalie if I work at it. I read an article and user comments at http://ingoalmag.com/general/better-late-than-never/ which inspired me a bit so why not give it a shot? If dudes started at 45, I sure can do it. I think I'd love it.

My question is equipment. Money is no object. Would it be better to get used/broken-in equipment or buy new? Any other tips are appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Hank4Hart

Apr 10, 2007
Been playing most of my life but since I broke my shoulder on the ice in 2009 I haven't laced up. Just lost that love/fun factor and didn't care. Recently I was thinking of reffing, but I don't know if I would really enjoy it much. I've gotten the itch to play Goalie after watching the NHL chan the past month. I played a game when I was like 12 years old and only let in 1 goal when I took my glove off to make sure I was covering the puck, but I saved about 10 break-aways, I remember it being a blast. I threw on someone's pads like 4 years ago and it was pretty much a trainwreck, understandably so.

Anyways, I know you young ones may troll a bit which is fine but to you serious players, I would think better late than never right. I'm still in good shape and consider myself a GREAT skater with a ton of speed but had always had a weak shot. I have an Adult Camp I can attend & will buy some Goalie DVDs. With work & dedication I'm the type that thinks anything is possible, so I know I could end up being a decent goalie if I work at it. I read an article and user comments at http://ingoalmag.com/general/better-late-than-never/ which inspired me a bit so why not give it a shot? If dudes started at 45, I sure can do it. I think I'd love it.

My question is equipment. Money is no object. Would it be better to get used/broken-in equipment or buy new? Any other tips are appreciated.

Thanks

well, first off, skating as a goalie is very very different compared to skating as a forward or defencemen. so it will take some time to get used to thats for sure.

secondly, in regards to gear, i would definitely recommend getting used gear to start off your goalie career. there are a lot of different style of equipment out there, each designed for a different style of play.

for example, the leg pads can be stiff or very flexible, in general, the reebok premier series are stiff as a board (for pure butterfly) and the vaughn velocities are soft as a pillow (for hybrid)

the catch glove has different angle breaks, there is a 90, 75, 60, and 45 degree gloves, each glove feels different when catching so you have to find out which one works best for you

the chest protector has the bulky style vs the mobile style, usually the mobile chestys sacrifice a bit of the protection so you can move better, the bulky ones are a tank but you'd have limited movement

so bottomline, figure out what your preferences are, and then dump a whole load of cash for a new set that suits you

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site
go for it. I play beer league with guys who picked it up later, some better than others of course but they all seem to love it. Then again goalies are all a bit off . . .;)

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
There's no reason not to go for it, IMO. Unless you happen to be without talent or athletic ability, I don't feel there's much of anything one can't realistically do if they set their mind to doing so.

I remember someone here a while ago posted that he'd never played hockey before but he played a similar sport (bandy) and planned to get himself into the NHL within a year or two. Now that was funny.

CoopALoop

Apr 19, 2012
Van, Bandwagoner
well, first off, skating as a goalie is very very different compared to skating as a forward or defencemen. so it will take some time to get used to thats for sure.

secondly, in regards to gear, i would definitely recommend getting used gear to start off your goalie career. there are a lot of different style of equipment out there, each designed for a different style of play.

for example, the leg pads can be stiff or very flexible, in general, the reebok premier series are stiff as a board (for pure butterfly) and the vaughn velocities are soft as a pillow (for hybrid)

the catch glove has different angle breaks, there is a 90, 75, 60, and 45 degree gloves, each glove feels different when catching so you have to find out which one works best for you

the chest protector has the bulky style vs the mobile style, usually the mobile chestys sacrifice a bit of the protection so you can move better, the bulky ones are a tank but you'd have limited movement

so bottomline, figure out what your preferences are, and then dump a whole load of cash for a new set that suits you

Hank4Heart brings up a few good points. With the variety in goalie gear, it's a long process to find out what works best for you.

The most important things you want to look for in used goalie gear (you'll want to buy used to start off, trust me), is proper fit and how comfortable it is to wear.

The worst thing in the world while palying goal is being uncomfortable, takes your mind off the game.

As another poster had said, skating is world of difference. I had played defence for 8 years before taking some time off and then jumping into the pipes. I had no problems whatsoever skating on player skates. As soon as I put goalie skates on, I started anke-bending and tripping over myself. Once you get your skates, go to some public skating to get used to them. There is very little in terms of rocker, they're longer and thicker.

If you need more information, head to this site: http://www.goaliestore.com/board/index.php

Hank and I are frequent posters on that site and were fairly low on the knowledge totem pole in terms of information. There is a rediculous amount of information on that site and all the members are extremely friendly. (as well as a good portion are "older" guys. 30+ ;))

Also, form my own personal experience. Build some thick skin. Goaltending is terribly unforgiving position and it's tough to get a handle on it. Always keep positive and always find something to work on. I've only been playing for 18 months, i've gone from complete rookie to one of the better (top 3) goaltenders in my division. (it's low div, but hey, give me some slack)

Welcome to the wonderful life of bruises, wonderful saves and gear whoring. Oh my, the gear whoring. I spend more times watching other games goaltenders equipment than I do watching the play.

FreshNsoClean

Skater turned Goalie
Mar 15, 2008
State of Hockey
Thanks for the replies.

Thanks for the equipment tips. I didn't know about the angles and different equipment types, that's something I'm going to have to read up on. I honestly don't mind buying new, and even replacing something again if I don't like it... But I've hit up Craigslist to get started. I'm 5'10" and around 165-170. I'm not too flexable, at least I don't think so. I can't do the splits! so I'll have to work on that. I know in the end it will all be personal preference but any tips for a beginner? Some pads/gloves/protection/skates better or worse for beginners?

Any more tips would be great. Thanks

Edit
Oz - Athletically I can play all sports. Played WR/CB in football & won our Metrodome league. Played plenty of softball but I'm bored of that. I was a dang good street hockey goalie! But I know that's a worlds difference.

Coop - Thanks I'll head over to that site and throw a post up and do some reading. I will be a gear *****. Yes I'm a firm believer in looking good makes you feel good. Happened in all the sports I played. Even racing BMX. It's a mental thing. I'd get the dumbest upgrades but it made me feel faster, and it worked. I'll probably be the prettiest yet biggest n00b goalie at first. I don't mind. :) Good tip on the skates. I will do that then.

Last edited:

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I started at 15, by 17 I was almost good enough to play midget AA. If you've got the skating skills and willingness to play a lot (everyone needs a goalie), you could be pretty damn good in a year or two.

A guy I used to play against in another league was a Dman in the WHL, he started to play goal after that. Within two years he was playing A division hockey.

I'd say go for it, with a hockey background and a desire to get better you will have a blast.

Hank4Hart

Apr 10, 2007
Oh my, the gear whoring. I spend more times watching other games goaltenders equipment than I do watching the play.

cha ching. god knows how much money i have invested in different goalie gear the last year :laugh:

Hank4Hart

Apr 10, 2007
Thanks for the replies.

Thanks for the equipment tips. I didn't know about the angles and different equipment types, that's something I'm going to have to read up on. I honestly don't mind buying new, and even replacing something again if I don't like it... But I've hit up Craigslist to get started. I'm 5'10" and around 165-170. I'm not too flexable, at least I don't think so. I can't do the splits! so I'll have to work on that. I know in the end it will all be personal preference but any tips for a beginner? Some pads/gloves/protection/skates better or worse for beginners?

Any more tips would be great. Thanks

Besides the styles of gear being different, there are also different types of gear designed for different levels.

The price point for forwards and defencemen gear are mostly dependent on weight, longevity, and the quality of the materials used. But theres one additional factor for goaltending gear, and thats protection. If you use your lower-end gear to face shots against an NHLer, you will likely break bones.

If you buy new gear, you should look at the level of competition you will face and buy accordingly. Some people at drop in or stick and puck can really rip it so thats something to keep in mind as well.

If you are buying used, you definitely should be looking at buying pro-level gear. DO NOT BUY USED SENIOR LEVEL GEAR. I cannot stress this enough. Senior level gear are made of lesser materials and break down much faster, their life time is about 2 seasons max. If you buy used senior level gear there's a good chance they will break down on you in a few more games. Used Pro gear will last much longer.

Also, make sure you buy the best head gear and jock gear possible. You can afford to break a few bones here and there, but injuries to the head and the family jewels are permenant.

CoopALoop

Apr 19, 2012
Van, Bandwagoner
If you are buying used, you definitely should be looking at buying pro-level gear. DO NOT BUY USED SENIOR LEVEL GEAR. I cannot stress this enough. Senior level gear are made of lesser materials and break down much faster, their life time is about 2 seasons max. If you buy used senior level gear there's a good chance they will break down on you in a few more games. Used Pro gear will last much longer.

Also, make sure you buy the best head gear and jock gear possible. You can afford to break a few bones here and there, but injuries to the head and the family jewels are permenant.

While the points you make are true, other than my Chesty, Jock, Leg pads and helmet (all of which are new), I bought used. And of all my items, only my chesty, helmet and jock are of "pro" quality.

Edit: Just to clarify, the used gear I bought had only been used 2-3 times from some guy who decided goaltending wasn't for him. There can be alot of junk for sale.

You can find some sweet deals on used senior gear, especially as you're starting off, this may be a good avenue to look towards. If you get a peice of gear that you don't like, it won't be as signifigant of an impact to the wallet as buying new gear, or used pro gear. Just keep an eye open, get as much information as you can on gear levels/brands and make an informed decision.

Also, get a good bucket and jock. Hank is on the ball in regards to keeping that head and jewels safe. Most goalie jocks are "double cupped" (outer and inner cup). in 18 months, I've broken 3 outter cups, though the inside one is still in great condition. None of these shots hurt, but man am I thankful for the double coverage.

FreshNsoClean

Skater turned Goalie
Mar 15, 2008
State of Hockey
I don't mind throwing down the money at all. I'm not finding much online or craigslist that may fit me for used. I don't want to be stuck with some used pads that aren't to my exact fit to save a couple bucks. I could see maybe some used chest protector or blocker but I don't want to short the rest.

I don't mean to sound like a rich *****, because I'm not... I just don't mind buying what's best for me and if I find out it's not my style, well then I'll sell it on craigslist or at a rink and take a hit. I don't mind. I'm new to this so I'm not going to understand the differences between pads for awhile and I'd like to be measured for a perfect fit for all my gear (skinny legs,avg hands & feet). I won't mess around going cheap. Whatever is good for a beginner, I will pay.

I'm going to hit up a skills clinic to start out with. Then I will be in bar league material after that. No NHL type shots but I'm sure there will be a couple big shooters here and there. :) I appreciate all the input, it's helping a ton so anything else you got for me I'd really appreciate! Thanks

Last edited:

CoopALoop

Apr 19, 2012
Van, Bandwagoner
I'm going to hit up a skills clinic to start out with. Then I will be in bar league material after that. No NHL type shots but I'm sure there will be a couple big shooters here and there. :) I appreciate all the input, it's helping a ton so anything else you got for me I'd really appreciate! Thanks

Gald to help. Go get measured and make sure you get gear that fits you properly.

Don't be cheap on the helmet, you are going to take some hefty shots there, make sure you're protected.

Enjoy.

FreshNsoClean

Skater turned Goalie
Mar 15, 2008
State of Hockey
Just got back from Play it Again Sports. I might be able to settle with used leg pads, but I don't know about the rest. I think I'll have to get my own stuff. I think I'd feel more comfortable in new. Anyways, here's a couple things I found. I took pics and they should be in order from Price then Pad. If anything pops out at ya let me know. I still don't know my size, and I don't think the workers there do either.

photobnt.jpg
scaled.php

photo2rkv.jpg
photo3xl.jpg

photo4gb.jpg
photo5nr.jpg

Hank4Hart

Apr 10, 2007
Just got back from Play it Again Sports. I might be able to settle with used leg pads, but I don't know about the rest. I think I'll have to get my own stuff. I think I'd feel more comfortable in new. Anyways, here's a couple things I found. I took pics and they should be in order from Price then Pad. If anything pops out at ya let me know. I still don't know my size, and I don't think the workers there do either.

photobnt.jpg
scaled.php

photo2rkv.jpg
photo3xl.jpg

photo4gb.jpg
photo5nr.jpg

if you are anything above 5 feet 5 the latter two pads are likely to be too small for you

FreshNsoClean

Skater turned Goalie
Mar 15, 2008
State of Hockey
Yeah I think I'm in the 34/35 range.. Just starting to learn all of this. I've sent some emails off to hockeygiant and waiting for a response. I'm going to go all new gear. Hopefully they can help me with some gear that will be a good fit for a n00b. I'm excited for the challenge. Just got done doing the Tough Mudder and Warrior Dash this year and have been bored ever since. I'm looking forward to this. I've been watching videos all over youtube, even some crazy dryland training that I think I'm going to do right away.

Also, when I go to free skate with my new goalie skates, bad idea if I just threw on my goalie leg pads too?

17of26

Sep 9, 2008
I started playing goalie a couple of years ago (I'm 41). I found that the gear at Play It Again sports was pricey considering the condition of the gear and decided to just buy new stuff.

I did a bunch of research and wound up with a set of Warrior Swagger gear. It's solid mid-level stuff with enough protection for beer leagues and has held up well playing 1-3 games/week. I had to repair the lacing on the glove once, but it was an easy fix. Other than that, there's very little visible wear on the gear.

I buy most of my stuff from icewarehouse.com. They have a fairly small selection but the prices are great. Free shipping on orders above $50 and you can get 10% off all purchases if you join their I-Win club.

CoopALoop

Apr 19, 2012
Van, Bandwagoner
Also, when I go to free skate with my new goalie skates, bad idea if I just threw on my goalie leg pads too?

Maybe for the second skate. I'd just get used to the skates on the first time out.

I'm going to take a wild stab at it and say you're not going to fit a 31/32 sized pad. Those are for the kids. (unless you're short :laugh:)

Just absorb as much info as you can and try the gear on in store. You'll find out what feels right or not.

FreshNsoClean

Skater turned Goalie
Mar 15, 2008
State of Hockey
I started playing goalie a couple of years ago (I'm 41). I found that the gear at Play It Again sports was pricey considering the condition of the gear and decided to just buy new stuff.

I did a bunch of research and wound up with a set of Warrior Swagger gear. It's solid mid-level stuff with enough protection for beer leagues and has held up well playing 1-3 games/week. I had to repair the lacing on the glove once, but it was an easy fix. Other than that, there's very little visible wear on the gear.

I buy most of my stuff from icewarehouse.com. They have a fairly small selection but the prices are great. Free shipping on orders above $50 and you can get 10% off all purchases if you join their I-Win club.

Nice to hear someone else starting later :) You bought most your gear without trying it on? Or did you go somewhere locally to mess around and then purchase online? I want to make sure everything is comfortable. I'm trying to find time while at work to do more research, but I need to find out what will fit the best for my style and body.

I don't mind purchasing online, as that's all I do really but I'm just not sure on my sizes yet so I'm skeptical. Hopefully HockeyGiant in Bloomington can help me out and I'll continue to dig online to see if there are proper ways for me to measure for each piece of equipment. I do want a matching set but when I tried on a lot of used stuff at Play it Again yesterday, most didn't feel right, other than 2 gloves and 1 blocker that fit like a champ.

Also what kind of helmet did you go with? I've seen helms ranging from $150-$900. I want great protection but $900 seems a bit crazy. :)

Hank4Hart

Apr 10, 2007
Nice to hear someone else starting later :) You bought most your gear without trying it on? Or did you go somewhere locally to mess around and then purchase online? I want to make sure everything is comfortable. I'm trying to find time while at work to do more research, but I need to find out what will fit the best for my style and body.

I don't mind purchasing online, as that's all I do really but I'm just not sure on my sizes yet so I'm skeptical. Hopefully HockeyGiant in Bloomington can help me out and I'll continue to dig online to see if there are proper ways for me to measure for each piece of equipment. I do want a matching set but when I tried on a lot of used stuff at Play it Again yesterday, most didn't feel right, other than 2 gloves and 1 blocker that fit like a champ.

Also what kind of helmet did you go with? I've seen helms ranging from $150-$900. I want great protection but $900 seems a bit crazy. :)

With the helmet, the fit is more important than anything else.

Anything below 300 is trash, I am talking about the Bauer NME3, Reebok 3k, Itech 2500, and Itech 1400 (last one is known as a widowmaker for a reason). These helmets are made of plastic and really, any impact will likely = concussion

At about 300 to 500, your price point expands because you have the option of buying fibreglass/kevlar masks now. Options include Sportmask Ricochet, Sportmask x8, Hackva 2608, Eddy CK, Eddy GTII, Bauer NME7, and Protechsport

At the 900 dollar range, you can get stock helmets that are made with the pro-level of protection, the most common being the Bauer 960/961 model

Anything above 1000 you should be looking at a full out custom made mask

My honest advice is if you could wait, go with a protechsport, you won't regret it.
At 300 dollars you can get an all fibreglass mask that is custom padded for your own head shape. At 600 dollars you can get his full Kevlar model that all the NHL goalies order from him. Michel Doganieri has a bunch of different mask shells from his NHL clients (Roy, Brodeur, Theodore, Luongo, Giguere, Garon, on and on), so he can find you the closest fit in terms of the shell and then adjust the padding foam to make it perfect. It is as close to a full out custom mask without paying over 1000. The best thing with Michel is that he provides life long warranty on his masks so this will be a one time purchase for life. Downside with protechsport is that you'd have to send in a face mold to Michel and there's usually a minimal 4 week wait time if not longer.

Hounsy

Dec 28, 2003
A wonderful location
Visit site
Nice thing about used gear when you start is you can try different styles of gear out for a bit and resell it for near what you payed and then buy new when you think you have a feel for what would suite you.

FreshNsoClean

Skater turned Goalie
Mar 15, 2008
State of Hockey
Got it all in one day. Thanks to Rob Smith coming down on his day off at Hockey Giant in MN when I showed up (no Goalie knowledgable worker was working so he came down). Got 15% off everything and couldn't be happier. Craigslist gear is my exact fit & I didn't see anything stick out at Hockey Giant (pads) and the new stuff seemed stiff and pretty spendy. I eventually plan on replacing all my Craigslist gear but figured it was good to start with. The glove feels A LOT better than I expected. Thank you ALL for your support & special thanks to Hank for the 20+ PMs of help!

Helm - Eddy Custom Kevlar (Fit better than the Bauer NME7)
Chest - Vaughn V3 7500 (used, part of craigslist deal)
Pants/Breezers - Bauer Vapor X40
Skates - Bauer Elite Senior (was amazed how great they felt & Baked)
Glove/Blocker - Bauer Vapor X60 (used, part of craigslist deal)
Leg Pads - Bauer Vapor X60 PRO 35+2 (used, part of craigslist deal)
Stick - Sherwood 530 (used, part of craigslist deal)
Goalie jock, neck pad/protector, suspenders, socks, jersey(free) & Bauer Pro knee pads that I may not need from the looks of my pads.

Hockey Giant (Helm,Breezers,Skates,Leg Pads,Jock,Neck Pad,Suspenders,Socks,Knee Pads)
$1023

Craigslist (Glove,Blocker,Leg Pads,Chest,Stick)
$600

Total $1623 - well below what I expected :yo:

photo2xt.jpg

Last edited:

Hank4Hart

Apr 10, 2007
Got it all in one day. Thanks to Rob Smith coming down on his day off at Hockey Giant in MN when I showed up (no Goalie knowledgable worker was working so he came down). Got 15% off everything and couldn't be happier. Craigslist gear is my exact fit & I didn't see anything stick out at Hockey Giant (pads) and the new stuff seemed stiff and pretty spendy. I eventually plan on replacing all my Craigslist gear but figured it was good to start with. The glove feels A LOT better than I expected. Thank you ALL for your support & special thanks to Hank for the 20+ PMs of help!

Helm - Eddy Custom Kevlar (Fit better than the Bauer NME7)
Chest - Vaughn V3 7500 (used, part of craigslist deal)
Pants/Breezers - Bauer Vapor X40
Skates - Bauer Elite Senior (was amazed how great they felt & Baked)
Glove/Blocker - Bauer Vapor X60 (used, part of craigslist deal)
Leg Pads - Bauer Vapor X60 PRO 35+2 (used, part of craigslist deal)
Stick - Sherwood 530 (used, part of craigslist deal)
Goalie jock, neck pad/protector, suspenders, socks, jersey(free) & Bauer Pro knee pads that I may not need from the looks of my pads.

Hockey Giant (Helm,Breezers,Skates,Leg Pads,Jock,Neck Pad,Suspenders,Socks,Knee Pads)
$1023

Craigslist (Glove,Blocker,Leg Pads,Chest,Stick)
$600

Total $1623 - well below what I expected :yo:

Alright!!!!!!!

I am glad you nailed the mask purchase! The CK is an awesome mask! Your head is in good shape wearing that thing!

PS, if you plan on using those knee pads that you purchased, make sure to use sock tape otherwise they won't stay on :nod:

Looks like you are good to go!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad