Goalies: Thinking of playing Goalie at age 32

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
And puck bunnies to clean your crease for you and a zamboni every 20 minutes.

Hell, i'd kill for a zamboni every 20 in my league games.

Actually I'm good without cleaning the ice. I played the other week and was playing out of my mind for 2 periods. They cleaned the ice in between the 2nd and 3rd and I tightened up. I couldn't get loose and ended up giving up a relatively weak goal early in the period because I couldn't get my legs going. We ended up losing by 1.

I would take the puck bunnies though.

FreshNsoClean

Skater turned Goalie
Mar 15, 2008
State of Hockey
Next time out went good. Pickup hockey game was a lot more fun than just messing around. Granted it was a mix of kids and adults, I felt I did good but need work on rebound control and reaction. Took another hard shot in the same damn spot of the left arm lol. Yeah my fault for not adding some extra protection, I'll get to it. Hopefully my Passau knee pads show this week. Struggling to get comfortable with these Bauers. Used my new Bauer 7500 foam core stick and LOVE IT. I have to work the next 3 days but hopefully I can find some ice on Saturday night or Sunday morning.

photo7vf.jpg

Oh and this video got me so pumped up! I was at this game and still the best sporting moment I've witnessed in my life. This is all we have right now in MN. The #1 ranked Golden Gophers!

Last edited:

HockeyStickHomicide

Registered Abuser
Mar 2, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
So it's your glove arm that you are getting stingers in?

Whats your stance like? I was always taught to keep my glove high. Its easier to keep it there for a high shot, and there's less area to cover when you drop it down for a low shot...
As opposed to keeping it low and traveling all that distance up to catch a high shot. It takes a lot more response to raise it, than to drop it.
If your catching a lot of stingers in shoulder bicep area, this may be a reason.

Your glove position should change with the distance of the player, and you may be in the wrong type(mobile) of chest protector for the style you are playing right now(blocking). But that's a whole nother discussion.

This may help you with some of the stinger issues. Thoughts?

Not Threadworthy

Aug 23, 2010
Not where I wanna be
If its just shooting around and guys are going head high, those guys are fa****s. The only way you can get them to stop shooting head high is to ignore him/her for 10 mins after each head shot, remember you are the goalie you get to decide who shoots on you, if you are not facing the shooter he can't shoot, eventually he will get the point.

Also, with the breakaways, most skaters don't understand that while they get to practice their random moves on a breakaway, us goalies get nothing out of it. The best thing to do is to talk to the shooters and reach a compromise, give them a breakaway in return for a warm up type shot.

I just started playing goalie again after more than a decade away. When I quit, there was mostly wooden sticks with the odd composite stick. Now it's all composite sticks. Years ago, I'd get hit in the head once every other game. Now, I take a few a game and duck another half dozen. I attribute that to guys with good equipment and little skill... and some guys who are just jerks. I put up with it.. that's what my gear is for. Anyhow, it was a big adjustment to come back to composite shooters where technology made the shots so much faster.

I will do the same thing as you, and if a guy is a consistent headhunter, I won't try when he shoots, and I'll move right out of the net on a breakaway. It's the same thing if a guy starts slashing at my glove when I cover up.

As far as warm ups go, at shinny, I'm lucky to get any shots. I don't even move on breakaways during the warm ups, but the shooters don't get it. The more organized teams I play with actually know how to warm up a goalie, and I swear, I play better.

FreshNsoClean

Skater turned Goalie
Mar 15, 2008
State of Hockey
Yeah left arm. Stance is good I feel, glove is high, if the dang Goalie clinic would release the video's, then I could show ya. They're slacking so maybe next time out I'll bring my GoPro.

Yeah eventually the ****** bags I just ignore when they want to shoot, or don't even put in a effort for them. Doesn't scare me to get hit in the head, the equipment covers that... I get it. It's the POINT of them doing it that pisses me off. Bad shooters think shooting high is cool. It's NOT, putting the puck inside the net IS.

While my exposed arm is bugging a bit, it's not as bad as the knee pads. The combination of the two isn't helping but I can manage. I just bought some arm pads that should help until my chesty shows. Then my new Passau knee pads should be at home today when I get off work or here on Monday.

Trying to find some open ice tonight, if not I'll be playing Monday somewhere. Tomorrow is GF day.

Arm Pads - $15 and perfect until my Passau chesty shows.
photo6lu.jpg

FreshNsoClean

Skater turned Goalie
Mar 15, 2008
State of Hockey
Oh and I have some left over helmet speakers that were meant for my R6 when I had it years back. Just never installed them. Just 2 speakers you put in via velcro and you can connect it to your iPod. I bought a iPod Nano v6 from a girl at work cheap. Very tiny. Probably going to install it and see how it goes, on and off the ice. Would never use it in a game, but have no probs when just messing around. I have nothing to lose so why not.

100901_2c.jpg

Areostich.jpg

FreshNsoClean

Skater turned Goalie
Mar 15, 2008
State of Hockey
Just got home from work. Passau... why oh why did you require Delivery Confirmation w/Sig for just little ol knee pads? I'd sure love to have them right now. ;0 It's all good, I'll pick them up Monday morning at the Post Office.

Also, for us Minnesota players, there's no easy way to find open hockey. Rinkfinder & JMS rely on the rinks to fill out the information on the website. I'd say 95% of them don't, so you have to go to each rinks website and pull their individual schedule. Minnesota has like 100-200 rinks so this will be fun making my own little calendar. :)

FreshNsoClean

Skater turned Goalie
Mar 15, 2008
State of Hockey
Gained a ton of confidence today. Those Passau knee pads are a gift from god. They're that good. Crazy how such a small piece of gear can make a worlds difference in feeling. I can slide back and forth now with ease, little effort. The arm pads I got are perfect. They slide over my goalie under shirt with ease. Got hit there today and felt normal. Still looking forward to my Passau chesty though.

I may be joining a team soon. Tomorrow night I'm playing in a pickup game. Very excited and so glad I did this! Thanks dudes!

Chillin...
photo10001.jpg

Hank4Hart

Apr 10, 2007
Gained a ton of confidence today. Those Passau knee pads are a gift from god. They're that good. Crazy how such a small piece of gear can make a worlds difference in feeling. I can slide back and forth now with ease, little effort. The arm pads I got are perfect. They slide over my goalie under shirt with ease. Got hit there today and felt normal. Still looking forward to my Passau chesty though.

I may be joining a team soon. Tomorrow night I'm playing in a pickup game. Very excited and so glad I did this! Thanks dudes!

Chillin...
photo10001.jpg
get some red electrical tape to put over your mask and you are golden

FreshNsoClean

Skater turned Goalie
Mar 15, 2008
State of Hockey
well guys.. these are 2 videos from my VERY FIRST day in net just over a week ago. They just got them uploaded today. I feel like I've improved a lot since then (especially on these slides) but still wanted to share with ya. I had problems with the bottom strap being loose all day. Little things like that ya learn over time on how to deal with.

Click on HD.

Habby77

Feb 9, 2009
Planet Earth
Dude you rock!
I am 35 and just took up the torch of being between the pipes! Yeah I stink but having a ton of fun so who cares?!

Ques for you and its a carry-over from my original post section re: knee pads vs thigh-guards: if you just use knee pads aren't your thigh's exposed if U go down to your knees?

Here is a pic of back of one of my pads with the thigh-guard.

20121023102043.jpg

FreshNsoClean

Skater turned Goalie
Mar 15, 2008
State of Hockey
Dude you rock!
I am 35 and just took up the torch of being between the pipes! Yeah I stink but having a ton of fun so who cares?!

Ques for you and its a carry-over from my original post section re: knee pads vs thigh-guards: if you just use knee pads aren't your thigh's exposed if U go down to your knees?

20121023102043.jpg

Well no, if your pants/breezers are the right size, the knee pads fit perfect right underneath them. I know the Passau's are a little spendy but they are great. Here you can see the coverage in multiple pics. http://www.passauhockey.com/en/online-store/knee-protector-60

I'm selling my old Bauer ones. I used them just a couple times. They just aren't for me, but maybe they are for you. http://forums.jmshockey.com/topic/3689-bauer-pro-goalie-knee-pads-sr-40/

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
Dude you rock!

20121023102043.jpg

PAW kneepads cover both knees and lower thighs. They are very comfortable and protective at half the price of the Passau's.

Maltese will be releasing gel knee pads in the near future, not sure of the price yet though.

Hank4Hart

Apr 10, 2007
PAW kneepads cover both knees and lower thighs. They are very comfortable and protective at half the price of the Passau's.

Maltese will be releasing gel knee pads in the near future, not sure of the price yet though.

Can't wait for Maltese's stuff to come out. If its any where near the quality of his GPS Combo or his mask padding, we are in for a treat

HockeyStickHomicide

Registered Abuser
Mar 2, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
Awesome. Lookin' good.

Show us pics of the passau when it arrives.

In other news, I took a monster of a shot off my mask the other day. Bent my cat eye almost into my cheek. Unavoidable as it came through a screen.
Thomas style cheater cage already in the mail. yay.

FreshNsoClean

Skater turned Goalie
Mar 15, 2008
State of Hockey
Awesome. Lookin' good.

Show us pics of the passau when it arrives.

In other news, I took a monster of a shot off my mask the other day. Bent my cat eye almost into my cheek. Unavoidable as it came through a screen.
Thomas style cheater cage already in the mail. yay.

Thanks bro.

Crazy, I've been skulled a couple times but hasn't even marked my mask.

I just ordered Potvin design with Red and White from http://www.leblancdesigns.com/vinyl/stock vinyl/stock vinyl.html
Easy cheap way to get a decent mask design. I don't feel like sending anything custom or getting it painted so it will due.

Get to play tonight and pumped! Tweaked my right knee yesterday but icing it like crazy.

The Passau chesty can't get here fast enough! :)

HockeyStickHomicide

Registered Abuser
Mar 2, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
Those kits are awesome, and come out really good from what Ive seen over at GSBB.
I spent a whole day cutting vinyl stiches out of house numbers for my mask. lol.
16636414631804209242210.jpg

Didnt come out too bad.

Definitely take care of your knees. I tore my meniscus and didn't play again for almost 7 years. Icyhot is my best friend now...lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad