Dreger: Things heating up with jack eichel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think you seem to believe that nearly every team within the west and the league is talking to BUF about Eichel. You couldn't be more wrong. And you also seem to forget that the Rangers pushed themselves up to be one of the deepest teams organizationally. They have pieces that fit the need for BUF in every category and they'll use that advantage over other teams to acquire a star. Not every team can gut themselves or will even want to at all for Jack simply because it's Jack.

There is absolutely a lot of interest in Eichel leaguewide. Nearly every team? No probably not but every team will probably do their due diligence to see what it looks like. Some will go further than that in discussions. A lot of Western teams will be having talks with Buffalo about it. A lot of teams have pieces that fit the need for Buffalo. The Rangers can't gut themselves for Jack either just like other teams probably won't either. If you have the same sort of standard about the sort of return Buffalo would get, there are more teams than just the Rangers capable and/or willing. And I don't think the Rangers are anywhere near as willing as you believe they are. lol

Reactions: Voight

quackquackquack

Oct 10, 2012
Sabres are circulating the ducks 3rd overall pick like flies on a pail of dung. Its gonna happen. They have the most important piece Sabres want .
Yup! The hold up now has to be salary matching (i.e. Henrique) and which prospect(s) oustide of Zegras/Drysdale does Buffalo want

AirGut

Jul 1, 2019
Larry Brooks Bus Stop
www.capfriendly.com
There is absolutely a lot of interest in Eichel leaguewide. Nearly every team? No probably not but every team will probably do their due diligence to see what it looks like. Some will go further than that in discussions. A lot of Western teams will be having talks with Buffalo about it. A lot of teams have pieces that fit the need for Buffalo. The Rangers can't gut themselves for Jack either just like other teams probably won't either. If you have the same sort of standard about the sort of return Buffalo would get, there are more teams than just the Rangers capable and/or willing. And I don't think the Rangers are anywhere near as willing as you believe they are. lol
As I've stated, the Rangers are one of the deepest when it comes to asset capital. They've been stockpiling everything and have been waiting to use that for a blockbuster trade. They've needed a 1-2 punch down the middle for a long long time and already have a logjam with young and highly skilled players. Teams like San Jose, for example, simply cannot afford to spend on an asset like Jack Eichel at the moment. They're a team that is still slowly dying and needs a total overhaul.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Sabres are circulating the ducks 3rd overall pick like flies on a pail of dung. Its gonna happen. They have the most important piece Sabres want .

Agreed. Fans can try to devalue this draft all they want, but that's still a good shot at an elite player. The Ducks don't have the talent to do much beyond that in terms of the other pieces in the deal like say the Rangers, but push comes to shove, Buffalo should gravitate to quality over quantity.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
As I've stated, the Rangers are one of the deepest when it comes to asset capital. They've been stockpiling everything and have been waiting to use that for a blockbuster trade. They've needed a 1-2 punch down the middle for a long long time and already have a logjam with young and highly skilled players. Teams like San Jose, for example, simply cannot afford to spend on an asset like Jack Eichel at the moment. They're a team that is still slowly dying and needs a total overhaul.

That's all fine and good but again throw a proposal out there and watch other teams easily have a similar looking offer. And yes, team like San Jose can afford to spend on an asset like Eichel...like easily. lol

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Has that ever happened in the NHL?
Drouin did it a few years ago.
Nabakov refused to report to the Islanders after being claimed.
Didn't Sobotka like kinda sorta do something like that with the Sabres too?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I agree that those pieces aren't going to be involved but that doesn't mean that the solution is going to be to take a similar lesser offer from the Rangers. It's going to be to take a lesser offer from a Western Conference team. Plenty of Western teams will have a similar lesser offer to the Rangers and the Sabres will take that over them.
I still maintain sharks are my dark horse for eichel

Reactions: golffuul

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Drouin did it a few years ago.
Nabakov refused to report to the Islanders after being claimed.
Didn't Sobotka like kinda sorta do something like that with the Sabres too?

No Berglund did, but he had severe mental health issues. No one of Eichels stature as a captain and 10 mil salary has ever done such a thing. It ain't happening

AirGut

Jul 1, 2019
Larry Brooks Bus Stop
www.capfriendly.com
That's all fine and good but again throw a proposal out there and watch other teams easily have a similar looking offer. And yes, team like San Jose can afford to spend on an asset like Eichel...like easily. lol
Not really. San Jose spending on Eichel would result in them being either the same, or worse off competitively than they were before Eichel. It wouldn't propel them forward as a group, considering most of the group would be gone. This is easily why they aren't even considering him and more likely players such as Monahan/Kuznetsov/Konecny. For a team like the Rangers or Flyers, spending on Eichel would result in still having depth within their roster and talent still left to grow.

N.Y. Orangeman

Mar 15, 2002
myspace.com
The Sabres started to realize teams like Anaheim, Chicago, LA, are all not wanting to move the pieces everybody here thinks they'd give up so easily. Zegras/Drysdale/Byfield/Turcotte/Dach/Boqvist absolutely none of these guys are being involved in trade discussions. Unfortunately the people on this site would never want to believe this, because the ladder I guess is more boring. Guess what, that's life. Kevyn Adams has circled back to teams like NYR because they're offering the best quantitative return out of any other team. Minnesota is also involved heavily now but the problem is it would be a gutting of their roster, and for the Wild there are much cheaper options to please a guy like Kirill (Kuznetsov). At the end of the day the Rangers and Sabres were destined a bit for this. Gorton nearly got it done last year but Buffalo and company had way more hope a year ago, as did Jack himelf. Over the past 2 days it's been made clear that NYR is talking more heavily to BUF about Eichel's surgery plans and injury complications. The Rangers are investing now with the asset capital they've acquired over the past few years and things have always been leading to this summer of spending.
You should have started this with “Dear Santa,”

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Someone will want Eichel but his value right now isn't high. On top of that his salary is an issue. They won't get what they want for him.

Reactions: golffuul

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
No Berglund did, but he had severe mental health issues. No one of Eichels stature as a captain and 10 mil salary has ever done such a thing. It ain't happening
I could very easily see it happening if they don't let him get surgery, and he has the excuse of not wanting to play through pain/injure himself further for an organization he obviously doesn't want to play for.

Also, Jagr was captain of the Rangers and took way less money to go to Russia. Similar situation with Kovulchuk. Obviously not the same as sitting out, but still. Lindros too.

It's not at all unthinkable.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Is 8th overall, Turcotte, Madden and Clague enough?
Yes, because LA is taking next to no salary back. That has a lot of value. They'd still have Vilardi, Byfield, and Kupari as young C prospects besides Eichel, and they will have the cap space, because guys like Brown and Maatta are done at the end of next season, and Quick the year after.

Should LA make this deal? Depends on how they feel about Eichel's health. It certainly would jumpstart their rebuild, but that isn't always a good thing. Turcotte has a chance to be a good middle six C down the road, and the #8 the same, but more likely a top 3 Dman or top 6 W. And all that lovely cap space. Madden is a wild card.

I think, if I was LA, I would do this deal. They would still be keeping some top prospects, and they can afford all that cap. It seems insane to me for BUF, as there is no guarantee that the #8 or Turcotte end up to be anything, but if Adams is truly looking for all prospects/ELC's and little to no cap coming back, then you are going to get guys who have next to no track record, and no established players.

Reactions: Herby
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad