LeBrun: There's hope Schmidt gets traded before tomorrow- Boston/NYI

Status
Not open for further replies.

SyZyGY

Jun 13, 2021
After the Holtby buyout, Canucks don't need to trade Schmidt to re-sign any of the RFAs, so if the value isn't there on the trade market, Benning should just tell Schmidt that he'll have to tough it out and play for the Canucks.
Prolly the best for you guys, GMs knows what you paid to get him last season so I hightly doubt that you'd get much for him tbh.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Why is Vancouver so anxious to move him after just one year and signing him to this contract .I think the Bruins should be skeptical , taking on that contract , that they don't have the cap space but..........

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Wouldn't trade Schmidt for these horrible offers.

His value is as low as it will get - keep the good d-man that had an off year.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Wouldn't trade Schmidt for these horrible offers.

His value is as low as it will get - keep the good d-man that had an off year.

Vancouver gave up a a third round pick if I am correct, what exactly do you expect? They should be happy with a 2nd in a much better draft

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Schmidt was a top pairing matchup Dman for Vegas, one of the best teams in the west.

He goes to Vancouver and is probably the best overall Dman on the team but the team sucks and had no defensive structure so his stat line suffered.

Watch him go to a good team like Boston or NYI and they'll have a legit No.2, two-way Dman....

People on HF are very "what have you done for me lately".

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Why is Vancouver so anxious to move him after just one year and signing him to this contract .I think the Bruins should be skeptical , taking on that contract , that they don't have the cap space but..........

It sounds like he asked for a trade.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Vancouver gave up a a third round pick if I am correct, what exactly do you expect? They should be happy with a 2nd in a much better draft

They paid a 3rd because Vegas had a backdoor signed offer with Pietrangelo and their GM was desperate to be CAP compliant. Benning was very lucky to get Schmidt for a 3rd it was unanimously agreed a favorable amount of value going Vancouver's way. So if you're keeping up here I'm saying it's a bad example of what his current value is.

His salary is high in flat CAP and he had a bad year - I understand his trade value isn't great. So I'm not really expecting anything, I would rather his value turn around before moving a solid defenseman.

Would never accept a 2nd rd pick..an already insanely over-rated hf asset as it is.

Reactions: Ninjadude

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
He hates it in Vancouver.

Reactions: YP44

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Schmidt was a top pairing matchup Dman for Vegas, one of the best teams in the west.

He goes to Vancouver and is probably the best overall Dman on the team but the team sucks and had no defensive structure so his stat line suffered.

Watch him go to a good team like Boston or NYI and they'll have a legit No.2, two-way Dman....

People on HF are very "what have you done for me lately".

Exactly right. A terrible time to trade Schmidt that's why there are GMs circling they know he's a good player.

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
Why? Teams are allowed to exceed the cap by 10% over the summer. Pettersson’s contract adds zero time pressure to moving Schmidt
Gonna be a lot harder to move cap when people know you desperately have to move cap

SyZyGY

Jun 13, 2021
They paid a 3rd because Vegas had a backdoor signed offer with Pietrangelo and their GM was desperate to be CAP compliant. Benning was very lucky to get Schmidt for a 3rd it was unanimously agreed a favorable amount of value going Vancouver's way. So if you're keeping up here I'm saying it's a bad example of what his current value is.

His salary is high in flat CAP and he had a bad year - I understand his trade value isn't great. So I'm not really expecting anything, I would rather his value turn around before moving a solid defenseman.

Would never accept a 2nd rd pick..an already insanely over-rated hf asset as it is.
Should just keep him. On a flat cap, there's no way you get much for a 30 years old guy with a 6M cap hit who just had a very very average season.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Gonna be a lot harder to move cap when people know you desperately have to move cap
It’s already been reported that Vancouver is nervous about an offer sheet. So they can already be viewed as desperate to move cap

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
It’s already been reported that Vancouver is nervous about an offer sheet. So they can already be viewed as desperate to move cap
If your going to say things make sure they are correct. Vancouver has around 24 million in cap space after the Holtby buyout and the Garland deal. If there is urgency to move Nate it's because they need to know what players to target tomorrow.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
If your going to say things make sure they are correct. Vancouver has around 24 million in cap space after the Holtby buyout and the Garland deal. If there is urgency to move Nate it's because they need to know what players to target tomorrow.
I’m not the one who said they had to move Schmidt quick so they could sign Pettersson. I actually said the cap wasn’t a concern with Pettersson. But thanks for your input bud

Sinistril

Oct 26, 2008

Asked for a trade. He did fine this year despite the terrible system. Van didn't sign him to this contract either. They got him after the OEL price was too steep last year, ironically. No real red flags. He's not on a cheap deal but it isn't terrible like, say, Myers. He probably goes for a second or a worse, but cheaper, replacement

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

He has another bad year and they will be retaining and giving assets to move him

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
Whoever gets him for decent value is going to be VERY happy.

All of these people saying he's "washed up" and all of this other garbage are out to lunch.

I am actually mortified as a Canucks fan that he's going to be traded. He's our best d-man. This is not a throw away player.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Vancouver does not need to move him.
They have $14M put away for Petey and Hughes and still have like 6 million to get a 4C, 13th F and a backup goalie.
Keep Schmidt. The Canucks are an improved team. He may rebound back into his Vegas days... Remember how he played in Vegas?
Vegas-esq-Schmidt on the right side of OEL could be a really good thing now that OEL is out from under Rick Tocchets system/bullseye.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
So a Dman who was signed by Vegas and traded for by Vancouver is not worth what both thought his value was?

His value is a late 1st or 2-2nds in any world............

A Norris canidate 2 years ago has that value at minimum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad