"There's different pitches of yelling," said Iginla...

Lim Ran

Apr 11, 2009
Toronto
I'm trying to re-live that moment right now and it's so ****ing awesome.

On a side note, I'm so glad Chris Cuthbert called that game, and not Gord Miller.

Cuthbert's the best in the biz for me.

Oh, come on. Gord Miller's call would have been awesome.

"SkWWwaarreeee."

Oh... thanks for... uh.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
As a hockey purist at heart, the only thing that could have made that goal more perfectly written was Russia. No slight to the US, and the emerging hockey rivalry is now becoming Canada-USA, but for the purists it'll always be Russia.

Few times Ive ever looked at hockey and said words cant do it justice. Perfect.

What's nice about this tournament was that we got to win against our top two traditional rivals. Not to mention incredible efforts by Slovakia and Switzerland.

In 2002, we had the Americans, and a really underrated game against the Finns, but the Belarus thing was a lucky break.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I'm trying to re-live that moment right now and it's so ****ing awesome.

On a side note, I'm so glad Chris Cuthbert called that game, and not Gord Miller.

Cuthbert's the best in the biz for me.

Really? Although I like Cuthbert's overall game he lacks finish. The call on the "golden goal" was pretty weak IMO. The name golden goal was... well... golden though. Not like when Gord Miller did the Eberle goal or Bob Cole in 02. Its not really a great sound bit, you know. The sight of Iginla getting that puck to Crosby will always choke me up though. I watched the reply of the overtime last night after the bars and I almost balled my eyes out.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Really? Although I like Cuthbert's overall game he lacks finish. The call on the "golden goal" was pretty weak IMO. The name golden goal was... well... golden though. Not like when Gord Miller did the Eberle goal or Bob Cole in 02. Its not really a great sound bit, you know. The sight of Iginla getting that puck to Crosby will always choke me up though. I watched the reply of the overtime last night after the bars and I almost balled my eyes out.

Really? I disagree completely about Cuthbert's call, I think it'll be just as legendary as the others. The emotion in his voice when he screams "Sidney Crosby!!" is palpable. Even though these guys generally have an idea of what they're going to say when/if the moment happens, you just can't script that kind of emotion.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Really? I disagree completely about Cuthbert's call, I think it'll be just as legendary as the others. The emotion in his voice when he screams "Sidney Crosby!!" is palpable.

What does he say after that...

"something about "once in a lifetime..."

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Really? I disagree completely about Cuthbert's call, I think it'll be just as legendary as the others. The emotion in his voice when he screams "Sidney Crosby!!" is palpable. Even though these guys generally have an idea of what they're going to say when/if the moment happens, you just can't script that kind of emotion.

I guess I just don't like his voice as much as others. I do like him as a pxp guy though.

lirit

Romans 8:31
Dec 22, 2009
Iggy is the man. Glad he was the one with the game winning assist. Dude always shows up.

For some reason this popped into my head..

Which came first, the assist or the goal? Without the assist there is no goal and without the goal there is no assist.

I know it makes no sense but for whatever reason it popped into my head..

Fuzzy Bunny

Mar 5, 2007
For some reason this popped into my head..

Which came first, the assist or the goal? Without the assist there is no goal and without the goal there is no assist.

I know it makes no sense but for whatever reason it popped into my head..

This was as pure of a 50/50 Crosby and Iginla goal as it can get. Crosby forces it into the zone, retains the puck... it almost is lost getting stuck in the officials skate he one hand punches it back to Iggy who wins a giant 1-on-1 battle while also making a perfect blind pass to Sid who gave excellent communication, throws it on net and GOLD.

Both men are legends for this.

Tont

May 4, 2006
So glad my boy iggy was a part of the golden goal. I must have watched that play twenty times last night. Amazing moment.

Oilbender

Mar 6, 2008
It wouldn't surprise me if Iginla had a Dexter-esque past-time. The guy is too spot free. :laugh:

mooseOAK*

Anyone else think that Crosby has some sort of hand injury? He had trouble handling the puck all game and even just before the goal along the board he fumbled it more than I would expect.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
It's funny because Iginla never saw the shot.

He just heard the noise.

It's funny to think that the entire country knew that it was a goal and he didn't. Sidney also never saw the puck go in, but at least he knows he shot it.

I didn't see the puck go in, just heard screams and hands in the air and jumped out of my seat with the flag in hand.

Jer Flip

Feb 8, 2010
Dieppe, NB
When I saw that it was Crosby, my head exploded and I shat my pants synchronously. ****, we all jumped in the air and started high-fiving each other's heads.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad