"There's different pitches of yelling," said Iginla...

Wham City

Oct 27, 2006
Whistler
A wonderful article which gives a little insight into the golden goal.

VANCOUVER -- "Iggy!"

It's a scream Jarome Iginla has heard many times in his career. But never this loudly, never with so much urgency.

The scream told Iginla where Sidney Crosby was on the ice. It told him where to pass the puck. And it told him how little time he had before the play went sour.

"There's different pitches of yelling," said Iginla. "He was yelling. He was yelling pretty urgently. I knew he had a step (on U.S. defenceman Brian Rafalski). So I was hoping I hadn't delayed in getting it to him."

Moments after Iginla heard the scream, he heard the roar.

Although he did not see Crosby beat goaltender Ryan Miller with a wrist shot at 7:40 in overtime, the sold-out crowd at Canada Hockey Place told him Canada had just defeated the U.S. to win the men's hockey gold medal at the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympic Games.

"I fell down so I didn't see it," said Iginla. "I couldn't believe it. It was done. I didn't see where he put it or whatever, I just saw him jump around. It was awesome."

The score was tied 2-2 when Crosby outraced Rafalski to the puck in the left corner of the U.S. zone. After passing the puck along the boards to Iginla, Crosby made a beeline to the net.

Fighting off a check from Ryan Suter and with his back to the play, Iginla couldn't see Crosby skating into the slot for a give-and-go, but he listened for where his linemate was on the ice. And after hearing his nickname being screamed, Iginla wheeled around and fed Crosby a perfect pass before being knocked to the ground.

"I just tried to let him know where I was," Crosby said of Iginla. "He outmuscled the guy. That's basically what it came down to: a one-on-one battle and he won it and we were able to capitalize on it."

http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/blogs/postblog/2010/02/to-iginla-crosbys-call-sounded-like-gold.html#socialcomments

Update: You can certainly hear it alright. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr9j-MRTxz8

Last edited:

Tombernack

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I pulled up the highlight and you can definitely hear him yell it, even over the crowd noise. Unreal.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Iginla and Crosby have developed a pretty epic bro-mance

Not that I'm complaining or anything

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
I'm trying to re-live that moment right now and it's so ****ing awesome.

On a side note, I'm so glad Chris Cuthbert called that game, and not Gord Miller.

Cuthbert's the best in the biz for me.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I'm trying to re-live that moment right now and it's so ****ing awesome.

On a side note, I'm so glad Chris Cuthbert called that game, and not Gord Miller.

Cuthbert's the best in the biz for me.

Very true.

Miller would have screamed louder than a 13 year old at a Twilight screening, and it would've been annoying as hell.

Wham City

Oct 27, 2006
Whistler
The funniest thing I heard involved my brother.

Iginla: Opens the door at the mall for my brother, in Edmonton

My brother: Ouuu, in enemy territory Jarome.

Iginla: Ah, they love me here too. Followed by classic Iginla smile.

Haha I can totally see it. Man Iginla is just do damn likable.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
How can anyone hate Jarome Iginla. Especially the person not the player.

He's just so awesome. He deserves a cup.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I noticed the scream last night after seeing the replay a few hundred times on the TV.

It's pretty amazing how clear it is.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Here's special moment after medal ceremony between Iggy & The Kid.
I think they were discussing the goal.

It's funny because Iginla never saw the shot.

He just heard the noise.

It's funny to think that the entire country knew that it was a goal and he didn't. Sidney also never saw the puck go in, but at least he knows he shot it.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
I cant remember the goal at all. I just remember the cheering. I was watching it, paying attention like crazy but that moment is just not there. Just the joy that came after

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
I noticed the scream last night after seeing the replay a few hundred times on the TV.

It's pretty amazing how clear it is.

I noticed as soon as replays started pooring.

I think it was rather fitting that pretty much everyone that was listening may have felt like they were on ice level for that goal. I sure did.

Hes exactly as advertised. All he wants is win. All he does, is win.

Legend status at 22. An iconic moment. I think people even still underestimate the type of career this kids gonna have. He may never be called the best ever due to different eras. But at 22, few have won what he is in hockey or in sports in general.

As a hockey purist at heart, the only thing that could have made that goal more perfectly written was Russia. No slight to the US, and the emerging hockey rivalry is now becoming Canada-USA, but for the purists it'll always be Russia.

Few times Ive ever looked at hockey and said words cant do it justice. Perfect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad