There are just 4 Czechs Ds in the NHL

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Can't use him or Xhekaj internationally.

On a funny note.. Lukas Fischer and Oliver Bonk both look like very promising D's. They will be playing for US and Canada.

I was spacing on the name so I had to look up the Pens roster on hockeydb.....they have him as being born in Liberec.

His profile on Eliteprospects shows the dual citizenship, so I guess that's the difference. :dunno:

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021

I just eyeball rounded and counted, but I have about 30k / 1.6 million which is 1.9%, pushing them from being 0.1% overrepresented to 0.1% underrepresented, either way, there's about exactly the number of Czech D there should be.
It kind of looks like they are victims of other countries like USA catching up and investing into hockey players, which they had not done well in the past. With their players taking more spots in the lineups, all other countries would suffer, unless they also saw an increase. It is entirely possible Czechis is producing the same as before, but it is not as good in comparison to others.

Stagnation is regression in an expanding market.

Last edited:
Reactions: Goose

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Correct, we've been terrible at it for over a decade now...

Also, it's currently 3.lol

2 big problems...

1. we simply didn't develop any good D and are paying for it
2. the promising ones all busted.

Eg. our most recent busts include Galvas, Hajek, Kral, Zboril, Masin and Musil.

It's been brutal.

We do have a decent D wave coming which is great but absolutely no guarantee any of them become NHLer's either.

Off the top of my head.. guys with a hope in hell or higher:

Jiricek, Svozil, Jiricek again, Svozil again, another Galvas, Badinka, Spacek, Alscher, Hamara, Dvorak, Port and Fibigr,

I'm sure I missed a few but those are all roughly first round or top 100 guys that may make some noise. Time will tell.. I have noticed that all our Junior teams lately have good D. If all these guys bust than expect to see the Czechs playing in Division B soon.lol
Didn’t realize Kral wasn’t on the Marlies. Kinda liked his play - I think he’ll be back to NA soon? Maybe not a top4, but a sturdy NHler if given the opportunity

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Didn’t realize Kral wasn’t on the Marlies. Kinda liked his play - I think he’ll be back to NA soon? Maybe not a top4, but a sturdy NHler if given the opportunity
I keep hoping him and Galvas make their way back. But our D path seems to be

Get drafted
Go to AHL
Go to Europe

It's amazing to think that most the guys I listed will never achieve the career highs of Andrej Sustr (who is also back in Europe now).

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I keep hoping him and Galvas make their way back. But our D path seems to be

Get drafted
Go to AHL
Go to Europe

It's amazing to think that most the guys I listed will never achieve the career highs of Andrej Sustr (who is also back in Europe now).
They definitely don’t seem to lack size and mobility. Makes you wonder what’s the missing piece? Maybe that extra snarl…starting to see other nations buy into a more NA style, for their young D . (Sieder, Dahlin etc)

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
They definitely don’t seem to lack size and mobility. Makes you wonder what’s the missing piece? Maybe that extra snarl…starting to see other nations buy into a more NA style, for their young D . (Sieder, Dahlin etc)
If you look at 100 years... The last decade was by far the worst for Czech hockey. They lost the plot. Lots of politics. A masterclass on f***ing it all up. Things are slowly increasing but it doesn't mean we will ever be back to relevance. It is the lowest of lows (our current NHLers) and Highest of highs (good junior results, consistent wins and lots of promising prospects).

Reactions: TheGroceryStick

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
As another poster said, however, their representation used to be far higher. That is what I think is worth talking about as to reasons even if their current number of players seems proportional to a very basic statistic.

All the previously top hockey nations have seen an evening out in representation, look at how much Canada’s dropped over the past few decades, they used to be roughly 60% of the NHL in the 90s and are now closer to 40%.

The premise of the (main board) thread is that 4 Czechs is shockingly low, which I'm assuming was an emotional response based on how things used to be. I provided hard data that it's not actually shockingly low, either by population or number of players, which I think you don't like, so you're dismissing it as a "very basic statistic".

You seem to be arguing that Czechs should be overrepresented in defensemen, which okay sure, I'm not inherently disagreeing with that statement, but if you want to take that position you should probably provide some evidence or justification if you actually want a discussion about the topic.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
All the previously top hockey nations have seen an evening out in representation, look at how much Canada’s dropped over the past few decades, they used to be roughly 60% of the NHL in the 90s and are now closer to 40%.

The premise of the (main board) thread is that 4 Czechs is shockingly low, which I'm assuming was an emotional response based on how things used to be. I provided hard data that it's not actually shockingly low, either by population or number of players, which I think you don't like, so you're dismissing it as a "very basic statistic".

You seem to be arguing that Czechs should be overrepresented in defensemen, which okay sure, I'm not inherently disagreeing with that statement, but if you want to take that position you should probably provide some evidence or justification if you actually want a discussion about the topic.
I can also only find the 2023 stats you posted, but I'd be curious to see something from the end of the lockout (2005-06) which is a pretty decent chunk of Czech and Slovak representation. I can't find any drastic changes in population in either country.

Really seems it's just stagnation in the face of countries like USA and Sweden improving.

Reactions: Goose

Klargplutte

Sep 15, 2012
That is typical Czech hockey tradition no , great forwards to counterattack after their great goalies have frustrated the opposition , no name D though.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Roughly 220 defensemen in the league.

4 out of 220 = 1.8%

If you total the population of the notable hockey-playing countries (US, Canada, Russia, Germany, Sloviaka, Czechia, etc.) you get somewhere around 650 million people.

Czechia has around 11 million people.

11 out of 650 million = 1.7%

Czechs are actually overrepresented in defensemen.

Math is cool kids.
Sweden has 20+ Ds in the league.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
That is typical Czech hockey tradition no , great forwards to counterattack after their great goalies have frustrated the opposition , no name D though.
At our peak we had some great D's... Not Makar types but we did have great D's ... Svoboda, slegr, hamrlik, kaberle x 2 and zidlicky come to mind. Never a Norris nominee though

Reactions: jjnhl68

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I don't think it's all that surprising. A bunch of the Czech D that used to be in the league got their jobs because they were big and/or strong, and not necessarily because they were the most skilled players. With the league shifting more towards speed and skill, and a bunch of good youngsters coming through the draft, the mid-range Czech dmen like Slagr and Skoula and Smid aren't getting multiple chances to make teams anymore.

It's also possible that many of them are staying home to play in the Czech leagues instead of coming over to ride a bus in the AHL.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
The Czech percentage of NHL players has been falling for some time and has bottomed out this year

It peaked at 8.2 % of man games played during the 2001-02 season and fallen to 2.7 % of man games played in 2023-24. They failed to win a Medal at the U20 world Juniors every year between 2006 and 2022, and only reached the semifinals three times (going 0-3 in that round) between 2002 and 2021.

The good news is that things are picking up a little bit. They are starting to get better results in Junior competition, the upcoming Olympic cycle will likely be a bit rough though. Hopefully things will continue to progress but they are still a long way away from their previous highs.

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I don't think it's all that surprising. A bunch of the Czech D that used to be in the league got their jobs because they were big and/or strong, and not necessarily because they were the most skilled players. With the league shifting more towards speed and skill, and a bunch of good youngsters coming through the draft, the mid-range Czech dmen like Slagr and Skoula and Smid aren't getting multiple chances to make teams anymore.

It's also possible that many of them are staying home to play in the Czech leagues instead of coming over to ride a bus in the AHL.
I both agree and disagree with you.lol.

We used to have more 2 way type guys that could do it all... Not elite but effective. Hamrlik, zidlicky, Spacek, Svoboda, F kaberle and slegr come to mind. T kaberle being more offensive type.

Then we hit this brutal walk where they all seemed to be big oxes who could block shots in an era where everyone was getting away from it. One of my favs was David Musil (draft bust) and he was basically perfect to play in a different era. Something like Darrian hatcher.

Then we just kept producing those kinds of D. And they all kind of sucked.lol

As far as staying in Extraliga.. not really... Most young or promising Czechs would leave quickly for a 2 way NHL contract.

Can't stress enough. This is all self inflicted. Future seems promising but absolutely no guarantee that any of our modern 2 way D will be better than the previously failed mooses.lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad