There are just 4 Czechs Ds in the NHL

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
images

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Correct, we've been terrible at it for over a decade now...

Also, it's currently 3.lol

2 big problems...

1. we simply didn't develop any good D and are paying for it
2. the promising ones all busted.

Eg. our most recent busts include Galvas, Hajek, Kral, Zboril, Masin and Musil.

It's been brutal.

We do have a decent D wave coming which is great but absolutely no guarantee any of them become NHLer's either.

Off the top of my head.. guys with a hope in hell or higher:

Jiricek, Svozil, Jiricek again, Svozil again, another Galvas, Badinka, Spacek, Alscher, Hamara, Dvorak, Port and Fibigr,

I'm sure I missed a few but those are all roughly first round or top 100 guys that may make some noise. Time will tell.. I have noticed that all our Junior teams lately have good D. If all these guys bust than expect to see the Czechs playing in Division B soon.lol

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Czechia's total NHL player numbers have fallen from 66 in 05-06 to 34 in 23-24 in spite of expansion with 32 teams. USA is up to 287 from 182 and Sweden is up to 104 from 47.

Probably just a matter of investment into development programs, though I suspect (but don't truly know) that the Czech development program underwent/is experiencing dysfunction with the weird 2014 Sochi stuff and needs to recover from that.

Reactions: Czechboy

kingsholygrail

Insurmountable Leads 1-3
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Czechia's total NHL player numbers have fallen from 66 in 05-06 to 34 in 23-24 in spite of expansion with 32 teams. USA is up to 287 from 182 and Sweden is up to 104 from 47.

Probably just a matter of investment into development programs, though I suspect (but don't truly know) that the Czech development program underwent/is experiencing dysfunction with the weird 2014 Sochi stuff and needs to recover from that.
Doesn't the national split play a role too?

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
Roughly 220 defensemen in the league.

4 out of 220 = 1.8%

If you total the population of the notable hockey-playing countries (US, Canada, Russia, Germany, Sloviaka, Czechia, etc.) you get somewhere around 650 million people.

Czechia has around 11 million people.

11 out of 650 million = 1.7%

Czechs are actually overrepresented in defensemen.

Math is cool kids.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City

4 out of 220 = 1.8%

If you total the population of the notable hockey-playing countries (US, Canada, Russia, Germany, Sloviaka, Czechia, etc.) you get somewhere around 650 million people.

Math is cool kids.
It would be cooler if you used the population of each country that actually played hockey, not the total population. I'd wager the conclusion would be different.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
It would be cooler if you used the population of each country that actually played hockey, not the total population. I'd wager the conclusion would be different.

I just eyeball rounded and counted, but I have about 30k / 1.6 million which is 1.9%, pushing them from being 0.1% overrepresented to 0.1% underrepresented, either way, there's about exactly the number of Czech D there should be.

Reactions: canary and Esq

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Used to be my main issue was remembering which players were Czech and which were Slovakian (...and I probably just offended everyone from those lands).
Now I have a tough time thinking of any players at all from the region.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Used to be my main issue was remembering which players were Czech and which were Slovakian (...and I probably just offended everyone from those lands).
Now I have a tough time thinking of any players at all from the region.
lol... went from not knowing whethere Jagr or Hossa are Czech or Slovak to having to know the difference between Tatar and Lauko.lol

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

4 out of 220 = 1.8%

Math is cool kids.

As another poster said, however, their representation used to be far higher. That is what I think is worth talking about as to reasons even if their current number of players seems proportional to a very basic statistic.

Reactions: egelband

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Ludvig not on the Pens anymore?
Can't use him or Xhekaj internationally.

On a funny note.. Lukas Fischer and Oliver Bonk both look like very promising D's. They will be playing for US and Canada.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad