Seravalli: "There are growing concerns that some Canadian Teams are handcuffed at the TDL because of No Trade Clauses" Vetoing trades to Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Definitely an assumption but at least one destination regardless of which one it is would be better than the status quo.
not really it is another rule that would favour one or two teams. At that point the rule kinda becomes pointless

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Jets have a few Minnesotans so not bad for them either. It's mostly an Oilers problem.
Canada + 33%+ taxes + not being able to purchase a house + weather + a crappy team have been all factors.. Its not just a ' I dislike Canada's thing
Why would the house thing matter for NHL players?

The others I agree with

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
This is it.

I grew up in Edmonton. It can be a real fishbowl for NHLers. As kids, we knew where many of the players lived and would specifically go there on halloween in the hopes of seeing our stars and getting the best trick-or-treat haul. As teens / young adults we knew which bars where Oilers players or visiting teams would frequent. Whether at the mall, in the airport, or just out for a run - NHL players were always recognized. Most people seemed chill and respectful, but players were still being observed and sometimes there were over anxious fans invading their privacy.

Now compare that to a market like (just an example) San Jose or Nashville. They're nice cities and have great passionate fans - but the average person on the street isn't going to obsess about you. That sounds way more comfortable to me - especially if my wife and kids are out with me too.
I grew up and still live on Long Island. People trash the Isles for things that were issues in the past (poor ownership and management) but if you ask most players, they love living here. NY taxes aside, it’s quiet here for the average person and no one really knows who they are. I’ve seen guys random places out and about and had to double look a few times. NHL players hate the spotlight 24/7 and like being able to do normal things without a mouth breather in a stained giveaway shirt telling them they suck while getting gas.

Reactions: Zenos

Strat

Nov 24, 2011
Toronto
Jets and Senators are always near the bottom of the revenue rankings + the fact that players don’t want to play in Canada, shouldn’t that mean those teams should just move to US?
No. It means these players don't enjoy the currency and taxes... which is why Canadian teams need to overpay to compensate.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
No. It means these players don't enjoy the currency and taxes... which is why Canadian teams need to overpay to compensate.
Players also don’t enjoy playing for non-winning teams, let’s ban putting them on NMC lists as well.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
There have been multiple most common NTC lists posted. I'm not a Hab hater. I hate the Oilers most, Canucks 2nd. I don't have strong feelings one way of the other. My team (Flames) has been a top 10 NTC city on all the lists I've ever seen. Again, facts don't care about feelings. Mine or yours. Montreal is a favorite road city. It's a bottom end choice for players to sign with or be traded to. Players would be irrational to not have it there. Different language, twice the media and you take home less of your contract than in any other NHL market. It should be #1 on NTC lists, but has ranged from #3 (2023 capfriendly) to #8.
Posted by who, bloggers? NTC are not public, it's your opinion and assumption. The tax thing was debunked a few years ago by a tax lawyer. They have all kinds of loopholes to lighten the taxes for the players.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
This is it.

I grew up in Edmonton. It can be a real fishbowl for NHLers. As kids, we knew where many of the players lived and would specifically go there on halloween in the hopes of seeing our stars and getting the best trick-or-treat haul. As teens / young adults we knew which bars where Oilers players or visiting teams would frequent. Whether at the mall, in the airport, or just out for a run - NHL players were always recognized. Most people seemed chill and respectful, but players were still being observed and sometimes there were over anxious fans invading their privacy.

Now compare that to a market like (just an example) San Jose or Nashville. They're nice cities and have great passionate fans - but the average person on the street isn't going to obsess about you. That sounds way more comfortable to me - especially if my wife and kids are out with me too.
Yeah, Edmonton is a fish bowl for sure. Our media is not as ruthless as VAN/MTL/TO IMO. Not even as bad as CGY's. My friend used to rent one of his houses to a a couple Oilers. Curtis Joseph used to live a few doors down from my aunt in Riverbend off of Rabbit Hill Road. I find people are pretty respectful too. Players don't get "hounded" much.

But if you are losing (like Edmonton was to start the year), I would find it hard to go out and about anywhere I wanted. I would keep more of a low profile in a fishbowl city. Especially with social media now. I would honestly be hesitant to go out and about as even a younger guy and party it up.

Reactions: Zenos

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
You would think this song would make Canada at least a little more appealing. Is there a "I'm afraid of Canadians" version that is more popular around the world?

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
The irony is the two players traded so far in the last week both went from Canadian teams to other Canadian teams.

Reactions: VainGretzky

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Not necessarily only because of this, but teams should only be allowed to give out a finite number of clauses IMO. Handing them out like candy isn't a good thing for the league as a whole.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Just saw his hit on NHL network during the All-Star festivities

He mentioned he has spoken to 1-2 Canadian Team GMs who have expressed that they might be handcuffed because alot of the players they are targeting have some Canadian teams on their "No Trade Clauses"

Also reflected on how the two big trades so far Lindholm, Monahan are from Canadian to Canadian teams because those players dont mind playing in Canada and perhaps why Canucks and Jets targeted them.

Mentioned how Kuzmenko had Calgary and other Canadian Teams on his no trade clause but luckily waived it to eventually allow the trade to Calgary.

Thoughts?

Is this going to be a problem for Canadian contending teams at this years trade deadline?

I think there are always going to be certain markets with these types of challenges on both sides of the border.

But some of these no trade lists are getting so long now that I think you will have scenarios where players will rescind their lists. If a guy has a 10 team NTC, does that mean he won't play under any circumstance at all for all those teams?

Practically speaking, I think a player probably has a fraction of those teams as a hard no, and then others are a maybe under the right circumstances.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I don't think Toronto, Vancouver or Montreal have ever struggled with acquiring and keeping foreign players though.

At a quick glance, each of these teams have been able to keep and acquire excellent foreign players. Both Euro and American.

It could be a function foreign tax credits available to athletes outside of Canada among other perks in tax treaties.

I have speculated that it's more costly for a Canadian to play in Canada than a foreigner, but the true answer would come from an accountant that specializes in this niche field.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Prove it. Show us proof that Montreal is one of the top NTC locations.

Who said anything about feelings.

And it is so cute that you think you were being both original and profound.

I thought the league itself didn't even have NTC information so how could Capfriendly have it?

cc

Feb 28, 2002
I guess the implication is that there were a few GMs that couldn't pull the trigger on some players they were chasing because of the clauses in place and used that as an excuse for their inaction on the trade front.
I speculated that it could have been the Leafs trying to make a move for a dman and I noticed that Tanev does have a M-NTC on his contract. Could the Leafs be on his NTC list? It would be strange considering he was TO born.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Winnipeg would you think would have an issue with it because as much as I love that city It's more of a raise a family type place, not exactly the best spot if you are a single multi millionaire though.

Yet They still kept their #1 goalie, #1 center AND just got Monahan.

In fairness, Monahan is from Brampton so even the 'Peg is a step up from that.

TJ Brodie added Toronto to his NTC when that trade got blocked.

How would you know which teams he blocked?

I thought the league itself didn't even have NTC information so how could Capfriendly have it?

The other poster claims to have the info so I want to see him prove it.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Prove it. Show us proof that Montreal is one of the top NTC locations.

Who said anything about feelings.

And it is so cute that you think you were being both original and profound.
I already cited it. Capfriendly May 2023. Again, I understand it hurts your feelings. Maybe you live in Montreal and love it. You also aren't in the highest tax bracket. You aren't subjected to double media with half of it being in a language you don't understand.

I live near Calgary. It's a great place to live if you make 200k. It's affordable, high standard of living, close to the mountains. If you like hunting and fly fishing you won't find better in a large city. I'm just not delusional enough to think we are a premier destination for NHL talent. Apparently Montreal is, despite no major free agents signing there in 25 years.

Face Of Bear

Jul 30, 2012
canada just isnt a great place to live in these days - especially if you're young and rich

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
In fairness, Monahan is from Brampton so even the 'Peg is a step up from that.

How would you know which teams he blocked?

The other poster claims to have the info so I want to see him prove it.

No, I know, he said the same thing to me and got back crickets when I pointed this out. He keeps saying capfriendly 2023 but I haven't seen a single link. He's just trolling.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
No... it's a problem for Edmonton and Winnipeg, maybe Ottawa. But it doesn't seem to be an issue for Vancouver or Toronto.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I already cited it. Capfriendly May 2023. Again, I understand it hurts your feelings. Maybe you live in Montreal and love it. You also aren't in the highest tax bracket. You aren't subjected to double media with half of it being in a language you don't understand.

I live near Calgary. It's a great place to live if you make 200k. It's affordable, high standard of living, close to the mountains. If you like hunting and fly fishing you won't find better in a large city. I'm just not delusional enough to think we are a premier destination for NHL talent. Apparently Montreal is, despite no major free agents signing there in 25 years.

I don't think anyone said Montreal is a premier destination, it's just that we have no real data to go on and you also have provided none.

Albeit they've definitely been a team that has attracted a lot of quality free agents. Largely because they haven't been able to develop for shit. They've been named earlier in the thread.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
This is it.

Ya well I think Gaudreau regrets his decision to move and his play shows it he was the king of Calgary, and now is just another nobody on the streets of Columbus

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Yah, it must be awesome to live in a country ranked 47th in life expectancy. Behind:
- Canada
- Puerto Rico
- Kuwait
- United Arab Emirates
Etc
I'm pretty sure pro-athletes don't have to worry much about that. It's rough earning a check in a place that pays you 26% more than the great white north thanks to the strong USD and retiring at 38 years old really hurts that life expectancy huh?🙄🤣

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad