Seravalli: "There are growing concerns that some Canadian Teams are handcuffed at the TDL because of No Trade Clauses" Vetoing trades to Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Just saw his hit on NHL network during the All-Star festivities

He mentioned he has spoken to 1-2 Canadian Team GMs who have expressed that they might be handcuffed because alot of the players they are targeting have some Canadian teams on their "No Trade Clauses"

Also reflected on how the two big trades so far Lindholm, Monahan are from Canadian to Canadian teams because those players dont mind playing in Canada and perhaps why Canucks and Jets targeted them.

Mentioned how Kuzmenko had Calgary and other Canadian Teams on his no trade clause but luckily waived it to eventually allow the trade to Calgary.

Thoughts?

Is this going to be a problem for Canadian contending teams at this years trade deadline?

Last edited:

Angry Little Elf

My wife came back
Apr 9, 2012
Victoria B.C.
Vancouver with only like 2 Canadian players on the active roster
IMG_7635.jpeg

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
Is another reason why Canadian teams don’t win. They only access to like 30% of the players Americans do.
I think this is true for the Alberta teams, Winnipeg, Ottawa etc but not really nearly as true for Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto. Alberta and Winnipeg especially are at the biggest disadvantage here.

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
Not sure this is anything new. The player pool available to Canadian teams has always had a limit. Some feel it more than others.

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Lol, two of the bigger fish went to Canadian teams this deadline, and both teams got first rounders for them. I get it's been going on forever, but weird time for Soapbox Seravalli to act like he's breaking news here.

Reactions: MD93

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013

There are growing concerns that some Canadian Teams are handcuffed at the TDL because of No Trade Clauses" Vetoing trades to Canada​

It seems like Canadian teams have found a solution: to trade between Canadian teams.

2 major TD deals up until now, 4 Canadian teams involved..

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I think this is true for the Alberta teams, Winnipeg, Ottawa etc but not really nearly as true for Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto. Alberta and Winnipeg especially are at the biggest disadvantage here.
Jets have a few Minnesotans so not bad for them either. It's mostly an Oilers problem.
Canada + 33%+ taxes + not being able to purchase a house + weather + a crappy team have been all factors.. Its not just a ' I dislike Canada's thing

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Honestly if a player doesn’t want to play in Winnipeg or Alberta or Ottawa or Montreal and Toronto and Vancouver. Then honestly as a fan of the jets, and I think it’s safe to say fans of other cdn teams would agree. f*** that player. Cuz we got plenty of good players who do want to play here. PL Dubois didn’t wanna be here. We move him. Now look at us. 1 bad apple can ruin the bunch. Rather just have guys who love hockey more than they love warm weather. El Niño tho is a thing and right now Winnipeg is warmer than some US cities and breaking records in January and February.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Its funny because we always criticize Canadian GMS for sitting on their butts and not doing enough, but perhaps its most likely they are handcuffed.

I always wondered why Holland never traded away a 1st round pick until recently during the MCdavid/Draisaittl era.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I'd be curious if this affects all of Canada or only the smaller markets.

The Canadian big three cities have never struck me as ever struggling to acquire or re-sign Americans or Europeans to their teams.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Honestly if a player doesn’t want to play in Winnipeg or Alberta or Ottawa or Montreal and Toronto and Vancouver. Then honestly as a fan of the jets, and I think it’s safe to say fans of other cdn teams would agree. f*** that player. Cuz we got plenty of good players who do want to play here.

Thats not really an even playing field tho ....

Reactions: Kaners PPGs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad