Seravalli: "There are growing concerns that some Canadian Teams are handcuffed at the TDL because of No Trade Clauses" Vetoing trades to Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

archangel2

May 19, 2019
NTCs shouldn't exist at all.
and I think there should be no nhl teams in cities where it does not snow at least once a year. But that boat has sailed. Could you imagine the abuse some players with say a 10 NTC list would get every time they played in one of those cities? Also the media every time the player played in their city. Every media person would ask the same question. "why do not want play here". The response would be "Because".

Anyone who wants NTC to be public just wants to harass the player. Players have a right to make choices and they are using it.

If a team wants to move a player with a NTC? Put him on waivers

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
Waaah waaah waaah. Bunch o snowflakes, playing a winter sport, not wanting to be in a cold place. (They're free to go live anywhere) But I'm also free to critique.

Evergreen

You always hear about Canadian teams being at a disadvantage because they are on many no-trade lists, but I doubt all Canadian teams appear with the same frequency on those lists. I’m sure Edmonton and Calgary appear many more times than Vancouver, for instance. And I’d wager Arizona and Buffalo, among other US teams, are just as frequently included on no-trade lists. I’m not sure why people seem to lump all Canadian teams into one group and all US teams into another.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
That's interesting. As a person from North, I doubt many Finnish hockey players have problem living in Canada or playing there as long as the team is competitive and you have a good time. It's not like players have that much free time during the season and during off-season Europeans quite often fly back their home countries. Days are probably fairly similar during the season, very routine stuff for pro athletes.

City probably matters more to player's wives than the players.

Not saying that's the case for everyone, but personal opinion.

I'd also add that USA internal struggles has made Canada more attractive option in my eyes. Not that Canada has no problems.

Both are beautiful countries.

I totally understand USA players no trade clause to Canada. You rather stay in your home country. It makes sense.

Strat

Nov 24, 2011
Toronto
Would be great if there were a rule stating that you cannot have all of Canada's franchises enumerated in your NTC list, meaning at least one should be available as a destination.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Would be great if there were a rule stating that you cannot have all of Canada's franchises enumerated in your NTC list, meaning at least one should be available as a destination.
Would make zero sense.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Every sports league has teams/organizations/cities that players tend to avoid for a whole pile of reasons. The reason a guy doesn't want to play in Edmonton may be different than his reason for say not wanting to play in Ottawa.

It just so happens that in this pro sports league, a lot of those teams that guys don't want to go to are located in Canada.

Then on top of that you have some players where playing for any Canadian team is a complete non-starter because of higher income taxes.

It hasn't helped the Canadian teams for recruiting players that more and more sunbelt teams are looked at as attractive destinations because now you can combine on-ice success with a comfortable lifestyle in a warmer climate with less taxes. Having Vegas/Dallas/Florida/TB/Carolina all be considered contending teams and strong organizations pulls more players there than say they did before.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
So everyone would pick Vancouver or Toronto. Assumption.

Strat

Nov 24, 2011
Toronto
They have the NMC clauses inserted to their contracts for a reason, to not end up somewhere they don’t want to. Why would Canadian teams deserve special treatment?
Teams like the Coyotes which should fold due to poor revenue get rescued pretty much yearly by bigger franchises. Since Canadian teams save a bunch of American teams from bankruptcy, it isn't a wild ask to have an open slot for a Canadian city in a NTC.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
The NHL '24 game has that option now? Cool! Unless you spoke to the players directly, no poll or survey will directly mention that MTL or any other team is on a NTC. You're making shit up because you're a Hab hater.
There have been multiple most common NTC lists posted. I'm not a Hab hater. I hate the Oilers most, Canucks 2nd. I don't have strong feelings one way of the other. My team (Flames) has been a top 10 NTC city on all the lists I've ever seen. Again, facts don't care about feelings. Mine or yours. Montreal is a favorite road city. It's a bottom end choice for players to sign with or be traded to. Players would be irrational to not have it there. Different language, twice the media and you take home less of your contract than in any other NHL market. It should be #1 on NTC lists, but has ranged from #3 (2023 capfriendly) to #8.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Teams like the Coyotes which should fold due to poor revenue get rescued pretty much yearly by bigger franchises. Since Canadian teams save a bunch of American teams from bankruptcy, it isn't a wild ask to have an open slot for a Canadian city in a NTC.
I mean, financially, yea the Coyotes getting so much help is bullshit, but imagine Gary said you can't put them on your NTC list? NHLPA would have a field day with that.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
This is the main reason. While the cap was suppose to implement parity it still needs a little more fixing. Cap on net earnings would go a long way on that problem.
The cap was not supposed to implement parity. It was designed to implement cost certainty. Parity is a side effect of that cost certainty.

Reactions: AT14C and Chainshot

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I doubt it.. you have 3 Canadian teams in Winnipeg, Vancouver and Edmonton that have a good chance to come out of the West... players will go to teams like that.

Strat

Nov 24, 2011
Toronto
I mean, financially, yea the Coyotes getting so much help is bullshit, but imagine Gary said you can't put them on your NTC list? NHLPA would have a field day with that.
I'm aware. That's why I said "I wish". It likely would be impossible to have that forged into the next CBA but that would be good for the league, IMHO.

Reactions: TrufleShufle

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Jets and Senators are always near the bottom of the revenue rankings + the fact that players don’t want to play in Canada, shouldn’t that mean those teams should just move to US?

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Some guys would rather not play with a microscope on them and be harassed when not on the ice by every fan/reporter in the 50 mile radius of their team or get treated how James Reimer did in Toronto.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Some guys would rather not play with a microscope on them and be harassed when not on the ice by every fan/reporter in the 50 mile radius of their team or get treated how James Reimer did in Toronto.
This is it.

I grew up in Edmonton. It can be a real fishbowl for NHLers. As kids, we knew where many of the players lived and would specifically go there on halloween in the hopes of seeing our stars and getting the best trick-or-treat haul. As teens / young adults we knew which bars where Oilers players or visiting teams would frequent. Whether at the mall, in the airport, or just out for a run - NHL players were always recognized. Most people seemed chill and respectful, but players were still being observed and sometimes there were over anxious fans invading their privacy.

Now compare that to a market like (just an example) San Jose or Nashville. They're nice cities and have great passionate fans - but the average person on the street isn't going to obsess about you. That sounds way more comfortable to me - especially if my wife and kids are out with me too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad