Theoretical longest possible overtime.

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
The NHL came up with this ridiculous offside review/challenge system for overturning goals because, what, one goal in a Habs series would've been offside?

Don't underestimate the NHL's ability to overreact and screw things up.
Wasn't it was the Duchene goal against Nashville? I could have sworn...

That is true though. The NHL is unparalleled in its ability to be completely reactionary when it comes to anything.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
At some point coaches would shorten the bench and start rotating naps.

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
Probably when the refs go "**** it" and leave the ice.

Karlsson would probably reach the 100 minute mark. And still be fresh. :sarcasm: so basically Karlsson would be the only player left on the ice.

HowDoIHockey

Supreme Mugwump
Jul 12, 2015
Victoria
A game in the WHL playoffs this year went to 5 overtimes. Luckily the game started at 2 PM so it ended around 8 PM.

I was going to mention this game. I was there - it was amazing! As a Royals fan it was pretty heartbreaking when they lost, but it was such an amazing game to watch. And honestly, a bit relieving when it finally ended. These kids are in great shape, but I mean how can you prepare for 5 OTs? They essentially played 2.5 games in a row. I can't imagine how they were still standing. And not to put down their trainers and staff, but I imagine NHL level trainers and nutrition experts etc. would be able to support them through it better.

It really felt like they should just call the game. The teams were clearly equal. It was a game 6 - it really felt like they should just give up and call it a tie, and replay game 6 later or just go to game 7. But you'd probably need both coaches to agree or something. And that would have been pretty unsatisfying.

I think the max should be 3 overtimes. At that point, you've played two games worth of hockey. If you haven't sorted it out by then... then you're tied. I dunno. Watching 5 OTs was amazing though and having an arbitrary cut-off would be pretty annoying, especially if everybody playing is willing to continue. But if there has to be a cut-off, 3 at least seems somewhat logical. But I'm sure every single player, coach, and fan would be super pissed off if that actually happened haha!

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
When I was a teen, playing 2 games in one day let alone 3 practically killed me in tournies. I can't imagine a game going more than 6 periods. Would be absolute murder.

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
I was going to mention this game. I was there - it was amazing! As a Royals fan it was pretty heartbreaking when they lost, but it was such an amazing game to watch. And honestly, a bit relieving when it finally ended. These kids are in great shape, but I mean how can you prepare for 5 OTs? They essentially played 2.5 games in a row. I can't imagine how they were still standing. And not to put down their trainers and staff, but I imagine NHL level trainers and nutrition experts etc. would be able to support them through it better.

It really felt like they should just call the game. The teams were clearly equal. It was a game 6 - it really felt like they should just give up and call it a tie, and replay game 6 later or just go to game 7. But you'd probably need both coaches to agree or something. And that would have been pretty unsatisfying.

I think the max should be 3 overtimes. At that point, you've played two games worth of hockey. If you haven't sorted it out by then... then you're tied. I dunno. Watching 5 OTs was amazing though and having an arbitrary cut-off would be pretty annoying, especially if everybody playing is willing to continue. But if there has to be a cut-off, 3 at least seems somewhat logical. But I'm sure every single player, coach, and fan would be super pissed off if that actually happened haha!

I was listening to it on the radio at work and we kept thinking, "how much longer can this thing possibly go?" And you're absolutely right, the teams were so evenly matched. Both goalies stood on their heads. Probably the best game I've ever watched.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
It depends on the venue and location the game takes place. For example, in NYC/Madison Square Garden it could be no more than three OTs at maximum; after that the people would flow out the gates due to the fact so did all the rest - like some Woody Allen and his daughter or wife - for some unspecified reason, perhaps a gig in some smoky jazz club. On the other hand in a remote place like Arizona the theoretical limit would be significantly bigger but not unlimited; the cows and cattle must be milked and shephered in due course: maybe 7 OTs. While in L.A. the game could last until the next morning when the audience would wake up in a horrible hang over and run to nearby toilets to puke...I dunno man... Something along those line, I reckon.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
I realize the rules say that you play until there's a winner, and the longest overtime in history happened in Germany, 8 overtimes.

Anyways at what point do medical professionals step in and say that they need to get rest etc? I understand it's unlikely, but theoretically they could play for a whole year and we'd miss a whole season... theoretically.

The first team to start playing with this mindset will inevitably lose the game.

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
Karlsson would probably reach the 100 minute mark. And still be fresh. :sarcasm: so basically Karlsson would be the only player left on the ice.

Yeah, because he was so fresh against the Bruins in game 5 after "only" 1.5 OT's.

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
I suppose the best solution would be ending the game after like 6 OT's with a tie, go on with the series in the intended way and play a game 8 after the series if it's 3-3.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
If anything would depend on the venue. If they have an event scheduled for the next afternoon, what is the drop-dead time the crew needs to get to work in order for the arena to be ready. Even that would be a stretch. I doubt there is a point where the doctors step in. If there was, we would already have heard about it. During the broadcast or any replay of the Pens-Flyers game, it would have been brought up.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Wasn't it was the Duchene goal against Nashville? I could have sworn...

That is true though. The NHL is unparalleled in its ability to be completely reactionary when it comes to anything.

Which one? This one?

BJd39SX.png

He was pretty clearly onside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad