Theoretical longest possible overtime.

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
I realize the rules say that you play until there's a winner, and the longest overtime in history happened in Germany, 8 overtimes.

Anyways at what point do medical professionals step in and say that they need to get rest etc? I understand it's unlikely, but theoretically they could play for a whole year and we'd miss a whole season... theoretically.

myzteriouz

Dec 4, 2011
when the goalies lose so much weight they won't cover much of the net anymore scoring surely happens

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
I realize the rules say that you play until there's a winner, and the longest overtime in history happened in Germany, 8 overtimes.

Anyways at what point do medical professionals step in and say that they need to get rest etc? I understand it's unlikely, but theoretically they could play for a whole year and we'd miss a whole season... theoretically.

Theoretically?

I would suspect at some point they would suspend (aka pause) the game, to be continued on another day. This could go on indefinitely, which would mean hockey would end as we know it.

As for suspend...they did it for a power failure...
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/power-outage-halts-devils-lightning-1.867545

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I really don't want to bash the Senators...but to add to this joke...

Wouldn't they basically have to play themselves for it to happen? :D

If you're going to make a joke at least make one that makes sense. Ottawa is the best team in the league at scoring OT goals.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
The Pawtucket Red Sox and Rochester Red Wings once played a baseball game that was suspended after 32 innings at 4:07 a.m. local time after an 8:25 p.m. start the previous day. There was apparently a rule saying that no new inning could start after 12:50 a.m. and the game would be suspended and continued later if no one had won yet (but the umpire didn't know it so they kept playing). I'd imagine something like this would be the case, but with unlimited OT only being a thing in the playoffs, there might not be a "hard and fast" rule about it. I imagine Gary Bettman might just call whatever executive is at the arena during an intermission and tell him to order the game suspended.

If that's the case, the resumed game would probably be completed pretty quickly since by the time they started again they'd have rested up and would be relatively fresh (at least compared to having just played 120+ or whatever minutes of hockey).

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Don't know if this counts, but IIRC there was a game in Montreal in the 60's or 70's on a Saturday that had to be called at midnite because you weren't allowed to work on Sunday. Game started back up on Monday. I swear I read that somewhere.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
At some point they would call it and start the game next day. Maybe 5/6 OTs and more then 1 player fainting on the ice or bench and needing oxygen the refs/NHL head offices and both coaches talk about it after the end of OT 5/6/7 and decide that's enough for today.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Dunno but the first time someone gets seriously hurt in a 5 or 6OT game you'll start hearing league and media chatter about shootouts after so many OTs.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
*Paging for that one science nerd who can calculate how much energy and calories the players burn from playing, and how much fatigue is needed for fatality.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Well they can always order pizza in the intermission, didn't they do that in Norway ;)

20 minute intermissions still take a big toll on your body, eating pizza just reduces pain and slows down the inevitable fatigue if you have to play for an entire year straight with only 20 minute breaks lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad