Post-Game Talk: The Worst GDT Ever Again: Devils visit Rangers 3pm

Holtz My Bahls

Jan 5, 2011
New Jersey
Scratch Loktionov again and I'd bet he'd bolt to Russia. He never should have been scratched. He was the only player who appeared to step up in Kovy's absense.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Traitor Zach to answer your question about Marty's save percentage in the last thread. A 900 save percentage is not good. Most of the reason it's that low is because he faces so few shots. Now you can't expect just because the team gives up under 15 shots a game that there will only be a couple good chances. Another reason his save percentage is where it is is because of our PK. His even strength save percentage is pretty good.

If you look at other goalies on teams with notoriously bad PK'S like Pavelec, and Markstrom they also have low save percentages.

At least once a game it seems Marty lets in a goal that is deflected or changes direction in front. These are impossible to stop, and I know from experience. It's in the back of the net before you realize it changed directions. Marty heard that PING when it hit the post before he even realized the shot wasn't coming the way it was aimed. Only way to stop those are if it hits you.

Also Marty is part of the reason he faces so few shots. Look at how many games this year he faced under 20 shots, or under 15, and look at how many games Hedberg did. Hedberg never played a complete game where the team allowed less than 20 shots this year. Marty's stickhandling breaks up in zone time, and cuts down on the amount of chances the other team gets. Watching him is enough to know this.

Bleed you are one of like 3 people on here that really understands the position. People should listen to you about Marty.

This team doesn't need big personnel changes, it just needs a better attitude, and heavy tweaking. This was a decent team that underachieved heavily and did everything wrong. They zigged when they should of zagged, and not a thing went right on top of it. Special teams was a gigantic disaster this year, and Pete did a terrible job with the merry-go-round on D which did in fact cost us games, and Lou deserves blame for not being able to unload Tally or Volch when we really needed it.

It is bad that everyone did not realize how redundant our bottom D-men are and how some of them need to go.

Still though there is no reason for this to repeat next year. We have a very solid bottom 6, we have lots of talent in the top 6, and we are young and talented down the middle. We need another top 6 forward, particularly one that can play with Zajac and bump Clarkson into the bottom 6.

Tweak the forwards, and start the youth movement on D. With the draft now is the time to start trying to draft Elias' eventual replacement and start beefing up the forward corps in Albany. We are a bubble team right now, but we aren't far from being able to rise above that.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Between Rooney reffing the game and Zidlicky's total gaff 30 seconds in to be the 3rd man behind the goal, I knew this game was done before it even got started.

Loktionov is the only bright spot in the lineup this year. I hope he is around next year.

Got to wonder why Zid tried to move the puck that way too.
Not a smart move.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Bleed you are one of like 3 people on here that really understands the position. People should listen to you about Marty.

This team doesn't need big personnel changes, it just needs a better attitude, and heavy tweaking. This was a decent team that underachieved heavily and did everything wrong. They zigged when they should of zagged, and not a thing went right on top of it. Special teams was a gigantic disaster this year, and Pete did a terrible job with the merry-go-round on D which did in fact cost us games, and Lou deserves blame for not being able to unload Tally or Volch when we really needed it.

It is bad that everyone did not realize how redundant our bottom D-men are and how some of them need to go.

Still though there is no reason for this to repeat next year. We have a very solid bottom 6, we have lots of talent in the top 6, and we are young and talented down the middle. We need another top 6 forward, particularly one that can play with Zajac and bump Clarkson into the bottom 6.

Tweak the forwards, and start the youth movement on D. With the draft now is the time to start trying to draft Elias' eventual replacement and start beefing up the forward corps in Albany. We are a bubble team right now, but we aren't far from being able to rise above that.

Thanks I appreciate that. Don't get me wrong I could without a doubt see Marty fizzling out in the last 3 games, and not playing too good. Just going off a cliff with the rest of the team because there isn't anything to play for. Kinda like how they played today pretty much. He likely will even finish the season with a below 900 save percentage, but I wouldn't look too much into it in regards to his career being done or how he plays next season.

I remember Marty being pretty good early in 10-11. He usually kept games close, and was not the reason we were losing at all. He then got injured and then he came back, and just let everything in and fell off the cliff with the rest of the team. Then remember he asked Terreri to tell Jacques to go with Moose cause he really had no confidence. I could see the same thing happening with him to end the season though obviously not as bad because there's only 3 games left, and Moose may even get a start too.

Plus this was a 48 game season, and he didn't even play as many games as he would have anyway so that save percentage number could have come up or down. All I know is in the close to 70 games before he got injured he was posting a 921 save percentage, and that lasted from last years all star break through the playoffs, and the first 13 games this year or whatever it was before he got injured. Also a 930+ even strength save percentage. Only Lundqvist, and Quick had a better run than that over those 70 games, and we saw Marty outplay Lundqvist last year in the ECF.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Thanks I appreciate that. Don't get me wrong I could without a doubt see Marty fizzling out in the last 3 games, and not playing too good. Just going off a cliff with the rest of the team because there isn't anything to play for. Kinda like how they played today pretty much. He likely will even finish the season with a below 900 save percentage, but I wouldn't look too much into it in regards to his career being done or how he plays next season.

I remember Marty being pretty good early in 10-11. He usually kept games close, and was not the reason we were losing at all. He then got injured and then he came back, and just let everything in and fell off the cliff with the rest of the team. Then remember he asked Terreri to tell Jacques to go with Moose cause he really had no confidence. I could see the same thing happening with him to end the season though obviously not as bad because there's only 3 games left, and Moose may even get a start too.

Plus this was a 48 game season, and he didn't even play as many games as he would have anyway so that save percentage number could have come up or down. All I know is in the close to 70 games before he got injured he was posting a 921 save percentage, and that lasted from last years all star break through the playoffs, and the first 13 games this year or whatever it was before he got injured. Also a 930+ even strength save percentage. Only Lundqvist, and Quick had a better run than that over those 70 games, and we saw Marty outplay Lundqvist last year in the ECF.

Marty still has it, he isn't the Marty of old but he can still be very solid when we need him to be. Honestly I think Moose does too. It doesn't help when the team in front of them is playing so poorly.

Moose got the worse end of the deal because we played our worst defense in front of him, and the PK was at its worst as well. I am worried about post-Marty life, especially because I think we REALLY need him to be able to and want to play at least one more year after this current contract. Wedge could be the answer, but he needs to backup in the NHL first.

We are riding Marty/Moose next year no matter how much some groan on here. Buying out Moose would be stupid, and it is a waste of assets to get someone else when you have two goalies under contract already. Best most likely scenario is one more year of the geezers in net, then the following year Marty's potential replacement backs him up.

Much easier to just saw we suck and never had a chance. It is much harder to swallow that on paper this actually wasn't a bad team, bubble team that could of done more, and thus we completely wasted all the good things from last year and the opportunity a short season gives you (something team's like the Leafs and Isles are taking advantage of). Guys just underachieved like whoa, did not overcome the bad luck of injuries (something Ottawa did) and pissed a season away. Pretty much what Marty said today as well (though some people cherry picked his quotes like crazy to twist his words. He did say and think this team was better then what it showed.)

I don't blame Lou for going the youth movement route this year, since the market for forwards after Zach was terrible. Overpay for Semin and watch everyone complain how he doesn't back check? Bring Sykora back and watch him pull a this year's Poni impression by being slow, invisible, and just failing to even come close to the level of success he had last year (and the board turning on him in a week). Trade was only way to replace Zach, but I imagine the price was very steep.

I do blame Lou and Conte for letting the cupboard get so bare in the forward department. Youth movement isn't a bad idea in theory, but when one of those forwards you have to rely on is Tedy there is big problems. I am not expecting some NHL ready forward to come in via the draft and save the day next year, but we do seriously need to draft smart and get solid forwards in the system so we can start planning to replace guys like Elias. He is going to have to get an NHL forward via free agency or trade.

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
Marty still has it, he isn't the Marty of old but he can still be very solid when we need him to be. Honestly I think Moose does too. It doesn't help when the team in front of them is playing so poorly.

Moose got the worse end of the deal because we played our worst defense in front of him, and the PK was at its worst as well. I am worried about post-Marty life, especially because I think we REALLY need him to be able to and want to play at least one more year after this current contract. Wedge could be the answer, but he needs to backup in the NHL first.

We are riding Marty/Moose next year no matter how much some groan on here. Buying out Moose would be stupid, and it is a waste of assets to get someone else when you have two goalies under contract already. Best most likely scenario is one more year of the geezers in net, then the following year Marty's potential replacement backs him up.

Much easier to just saw we suck and never had a chance. It is much harder to swallow that on paper this actually wasn't a bad team, bubble team that could of done more, and thus we completely wasted all the good things from last year and the opportunity a short season gives you (something team's like the Leafs and Isles are taking advantage of). Guys just underachieved like whoa, did not overcome the bad luck of injuries (something Ottawa did) and pissed a season away. Pretty much what Marty said today as well (though some people cherry picked his quotes like crazy to twist his words. He did say and think this team was better then what it showed.)

I don't blame Lou for going the youth movement route this year, since the market for forwards after Zach was terrible. Overpay for Semin and watch everyone complain how he doesn't back check? Bring Sykora back and watch him pull a this year's Poni impression by being slow, invisible, and just failing to even come close to the level of success he had last year (and the board turning on him in a week). Trade was only way to replace Zach, but I imagine the price was very steep.

I do blame Lou and Conte for letting the cupboard get so bare in the forward department. Youth movement isn't a bad idea in theory, but when one of those forwards you have to rely on is Tedy there is big problems. I am not expecting some NHL ready forward to come in via the draft and save the day next year, but we do seriously need to draft smart and get solid forwards in the system so we can start planning to replace guys like Elias. He is going to have to get an NHL forward via free agency or trade.

Some people have come on here and posted some rational and reasonable defenses of Brodeur and expectations of him. But, you absolutely and completely lost me when you started praising Hedberg. Our defense had maybe two bad games in front of him. The rest of them, Hedberg was awful in. I mean come on, I get that this is a Devils fan forum, but let's at least call a spade a spade. These are professional athletes who are paid to perform. And Hedberg was absolutely awful, terrible, putrid, whatever you want to call it.

This team is not making the playoffs next year with a Marty/Moose tandem that has that much age and injury concern and lack of dependability (moreso on Hedberg). Marty can't play the kind of schedule and handle a workload he's done in years past and Hedberg seemed to really only excel against soft opponents that were vulnerable to back to backs or on travel days. You also have to move on eventually to start transitioning in a younger goaltender and next year is the year where it finally comes to the fore and becomes necessary. I'm not sure if Kinkaid is the guy (personally I don't think so based on what I've seen of him at Albany), but Lou has to find another solution than using the Marty/Moose duo. It worked for a few years, but it is not going to cut it anymore.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
but we only scored a goal!
doesn’t matter, martys fault

but our defense is made of garbage!
doesn’t matter, martys fault!

we’re putting bags on our heads
theres still golf!

nlspit.jpg

RNCDevil

Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
A few points from the stinker...
1. Although the results were not there, they have been playing solid games for a couple weeks. They were bound to have a poor outing. It sucks that it was the Rangers.
2. Finish. When you are relying on CBGB to carry the load, you are going to miss the playoffs.
3. Henrique had a shot just like the second or third goal from the top of the circle. He missed. They scored. Those four words really sum up this season. I dont think this is one of the crap teams of the past 20 years. I don't think it needs yo be nlown up.
4. The Devils need to promote some of the youth and play them but Zid became a net positive for me over the last couple weeks.
5. The season is over but HF was fun as always. See yall at the draft.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
So I guess that means Lou is stepping down after next year because that's the last year of Marty's 2-year deal.

so that's why he decided to forfeit the pick next year :sarcasm: IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW!

They asked him in the pregame when he gave the lineup...his answer wasn't exactly convincing :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4FT0cf3U5E&list=UU-fBJBt_WWMpt4XiLmLTnzw&index=6

"You know, I don't have the best explanation for you, but we're trying to tank. We put in the lineup that gives us the best chance to lose". LOVE his response.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
They asked him in the pregame when he gave the lineup...his answer wasn't exactly convincing :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4FT0cf3U5E&list=UU-fBJBt_WWMpt4XiLmLTnzw&index=6
Man no quotes about ''Throwing hits, blocking shots, or the toughness element in a big division game?'':laugh:
His brutal turnover, his piss poor attempt to stop the puck with his hand and the "look" Marty gave right after should be enough of a reason for Lou to remove him from our team.

He's a cancer when in lineup, period.

Yeah he has to go. It's not even like he's playing good defense. In fact he keeps declining every year, and this year he was even worse than last year. Last year I thought he was serviceable (Still way too overpaid though) this year he isn't at all. We'd fare just as well bringing back Colin White for league minimum. Hopefully Vanderbeek pulls the plug sooner rather than later. And Deboer is an idiot for insisting he be in the lineup yesterday.

As for Hedberg and the defense playing bad in front of him. The defense at even strength wasn't so much the problem when Moose was playing. Our penalty kill was however a big problem. It went from 8th to about 22nd in the league in a matter of about 2 weeks. I'm pretty sure in 4 or 5 games it went from being 13th to like 22nd. It started to go bad before Marty got injured, but it went out of control sometime during right before Moose coming in. Some of the goals were completely his fault, but the PK was so poor in some of those games there was nothing he can do. Also on the topic of the team playing poorly in front of him they were playing poor offense. They gave him 1.83 goals a game of support while Marty was out. To win those games he would have needed a GAA of under 1.83 which not many goalies in this league have.

downtown56

Mar 5, 2008
@SherryDarlingNJ: Ref Chris Rooney also worked TB-NJ game on Feb. 7. Devils received an abuse of officials penalty in that one.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Rooney is a little twerp drunk with power. His history with the Devils started back with the infamous icing call while we were on the PK in the playoffs vs. the Rangers.

Madden tore into him and he's held the Devils in contempt ever since. He's the one with issues and deserves all the crap thrown his way.

New+York+Rangers+v+New+Jersey+Devils+Game+FkOQHx9DYCim.jpg

A pair of tough calls hampered the Devils' efforts to draw even late in regulation. The Devils had pulled Brodeur with about a minute left, and Jamie Langenbrunner was called for hooking on the ensuing 6-on-5 at 19:06.

Needing a goal, New Jersey kept Brodeur on the bench, which kept manpower even at 5-on-5 with Langenbrunner in the box.

Moments later, Paul Martin was pestered by Blair Betts as he carried the puck through the neutral zone, and dumped the puck in from the Devils' side of the red line. Michal Rozsival touched up behind the New York goal line, and the whistle was inexplicably blown for icing with 36 seconds left.

Instead of having the chance to fight for possession in New York territory, play stopped and the faceoff went to center ice.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
@SherryDarlingNJ: Ref Chris Rooney also worked TB-NJ game on Feb. 7. Devils received an abuse of officials penalty in that one.

Haha wasn't that the game where Guy Boucher was getting a bunch of penalties for mouthing off late in the game?

DevilChuk*

Rooney is a little twerp drunk with power. His history with the Devils started back with the infamous icing call while we were on the PK in the playoffs vs. the Rangers.

Madden tore into him and he's held the Devils in contempt ever since. He's the one with issues and deserves all the crap thrown his way.

New+York+Rangers+v+New+Jersey+Devils+Game+FkOQHx9DYCim.jpg

Haha wasn't that the game where Guy Boucher was getting a bunch of penalties for mouthing off late in the game?

That's a pretty crazy history between the Devils and Rooney. Not sure why he's really allowed to ref one of their games anymore..

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm pretty sure he also reffed game 4 of the SCF. The one where Clarkson was called for a phantom boarding penalty or whatever it was in the 3rd period. Then we lost the faceoff, and they tied it up. Even Edzo, and Pierre thought that was a brutal call. I'm pretty sure he did do that game, because I remember warning on here before game 6 that it would be the same crew from game 4.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
After 4 or 5 questionable calls that affect the outcome of critical games, you have to stop saying coincidence. He's got an agenda for calling the game a certain way against the Devils. Like Carter's 4 min penalty yesterday and the lack of tripping call when Kovy was taken down - that was total crap.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Oh ****, rooney was the ref Madden verbally destroyed? I was there, that was amazing.

Ok now I buy the theories, **** that guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00