Post-Game Talk: The Worst GDT Ever Again: Devils visit Rangers 3pm

DevilChuk*

I only pulled out a few examples off the top of my head. There's several goalies alone just this year that sort of back up the gist of what I was referring to.

You seriously don't know the definition of often, it seems.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Never thought I'd see the day when Brodeur overstayed his welcome. But seems like he has, reading the forums.

I'm neutral on the subject. I don't feel any more frustrated with him now than I did in say 2010 or 2001 or 1996 or 1994, etc. He's always let in the odd soft or inexplicable goal.

I wonder if he's regretting the decision resigning here and not somewhere with an *ahem* offense.

The worst series I've ever seen Marty play was the 2001 SCF. Without a doubt as far as the quality of goals that went in, and I would bet that was his worst series ever statistically in save percentage. Though apparently the 98-99 series against Pittsburgh he had an 856 save percentage those 7 games. I don't remember thinking he was that bad during that series though like the 01 SCF. It wasn't all on him because we couldn't score on Roy.

That was the worst stretch I've seen him. Maybe the last few weeks of Maclean, and into Lemaire when he benched himself, and gave up with the rest of the team was as bad. I remember him being pretty bad in the 08 Rangers series, and the first 3 or 4 games of the 07 Tampa Bay series. He let in a lot of bad angle goals, but stole game 5. He was particularly bad the first 4 games of the 2000 ECF too. He gave up a lot of soft goals, and even a giveaway in game 4 before Larry kicked the trash can. I also remember Marty starting off the 95 season pretty rough too. I thought he would become the next Sean Burke, but glad I was wrong.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
Marty will be fine for next year but the expectation must be that he WILL get hurt. That's just what old people do with their cranky bodies. So it's a priority to bring in a young dependable goalie who can take over and keep the train on it's tracks. Hedberg is not that guy if he's going to play behind a team like this. I'd have no problem if they decided to groom his successor to be honest. Maybe it will push the old man to be on his toes. He has a ton of pride and that situation may just get the best out of what he has left.

Speed, grit and youth. That would be my checklist (and not necessarily in that order) if I were building the team.

DevilChuk*

Saying Lou shoud be fired is like saying Marty should be waived.

Well apparently, that's what some people here think should happen :laugh:

I know it sucks not being in the playoffs but this is what happens to teams that aren't us or the Red Wings over the last twenty years. And it happens often. Missing the playoffs doesn't mean you have to blow things up necessarily. That's what some fans here are missing.

We haven't had that experience the past twenty years as fans but.. this is not a sign the team is going to be terrible for the next few years. Not everyone is the Maple Leafs either.

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
Marty will be fine for next year but the expectation must be that he WILL get hurt. That's just what old people do with their cranky bodies. So it's a priority to bring in a young dependable goalie who can take over and keep the train on it's tracks. Hedberg is not that guy if he's going to play behind a team like this. I'd have no problem if they decided to groom his successor to be honest. Maybe it will push the old man to be on his toes. He has a ton of pride and that situation may just get the best out of what he has left.

Speed, grit and youth. That would be my checklist (and not necessarily in that order) if I were building the team.

Expecting your starting goalie to get hurt is asking for trouble and with a 41 yr old, that's unfortunately the fear. Just how I feel in looking at it.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Did anybody ask Deboer about the Volch decision?

I hope someone did. That is still completely inexplicable to me.

I'm all for starting every kid we go now. Urbom, Kinkaid, whoever. Might as well do something constructive as we run out the string.

I want to see both Urbom and Gelinas get in for a game. Albany isn't doing **** this year either, might as well give a chance to the guys who deserve it.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't think he really had many suitors to be honest. I mean supposedly Toronto sniffed around him a bit and so did TB, but it supposedly was to be more of a a mentor and backup in case guys like Reimer and Lindback stumbled.

Plus, I could only imagine what would have happened if Brodeur had to play in behind that TB defense. It would have been sad.

I don't believe the story that Marty had a two year offer from another team. I think the 2 year offer was kind of like a retirement present/thank you from the Devils for what Marty had meant to the team and so Marty didn't have to see his ego take a hit.

Apparently Chicago was interested, and Florida (Someone I know is close to someone in the organization) made an offer too. Marty playing behind the Tampa Bay defense you say?

''Marty what the **** kinda goal was that? You let in 4 weak goal now in game. Now get your ass back in there, and finish this ****in game. Next time you sit on bench for next game!''

''Guy it hit Salo's skate in front! Maybe you should do something about all this in zone time, and pull out 1-3-3!''

Just pretend Marty has a Lightning themed mask and has their jersey on. And the MB30 mask has a lightning bolt instead of the Devil's tail!:laugh:

Jossipov

Patty's Better
Oct 7, 2010
Bronx, NY
While I'm not going to list the way....It feels like a lot of you are overreacting a bit here.
It was a short season, had some bad luck, couldnt recover, cest la vie. It's a transition period, and it happens.
Also, anyway, I think Lou (who I've fairly certain knows more about Hockey than anyone on HFboards) made it pretty obvious that he wasnt going to make moves to save this season that he thought might hurt the next one or 2 down the road.

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
Apparently Chicago was interested, and Florida (Someone I know is close to someone in the organization) made an offer too. Marty playing behind the Tampa Bay defense you say?

''Marty what the **** kinda goal was that? You let in 4 weak goal now in game. Now get your ass back in there, and finish this ****in game. Next time you sit on bench for next game!''

''Guy it hit Salo's skate in front! Maybe you should do something about all this in zone time, and pull out 1-3-3!''

Just pretend Marty has a Lightning themed mask and has their jersey on. And the MB30 mask has a lightning bolt instead of the Devil's tail!:laugh:

Haha. I thought TB was a possibility with the Yzerman connection and Guy being a Lemaire disciple. Better for Marty that never came to fruition.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
The thing that really helps out JVB, in my opinion since I haven't actually crunched the numbers yet, is that the new CBA makes it so much easier on him. I'm still hoping he gets some minority owner aid so we can spend like fiends.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
Expecting your starting goalie to get hurt is asking for trouble and with a 41 yr old, that's unfortunately the fear. Just how I feel in looking at it.

It depends how you define starter. I'd say 45 - 50 games is a good target for Marty next year. Technically that makes him the "starter" but it's really more like a 1a 1b type of situation.

I'm just not worried about the goaltending assuming they can get a younger reliable 1b type of guy here. With Pete's system and the right players, adequate goaltending will be enough for this team to win games.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Haha. I thought TB was a possibility with the Yzerman connection and Guy being a Lemaire disciple. Better for Marty that never came to fruition.

Yeah their defense is so poor it don't matter who they have in net. My made up scenario was after Marty tried to bench himself after getting hung out to dry by the Lightning. It was kinda mimicking the time Roloson tried to bench himself during a game last season after we scored a bunch of goals on him, but Guy threw him back out there.:laugh:

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
Yeah their defense is so poor it don't matter who they have in net. My made up scenario was after Marty tried to bench himself after getting hung out to dry by the Lightning. It was kinda mimicking the time Roloson tried to bench himself during a game last season after we scored a bunch of goals on him, but Guy threw him back out there.:laugh:

Haha. I was at that game and I think it was Josefson who had scored one of the goals for the Devils. It was a strange game with Malone getting a hatty, but turned hilarious when indeed Roloson tried to take himself out and Boucher refused to acknowledge him and told the backup to stay put. The ref had to tell Roloson to go back and his reaction was priceless. I think Roloson had another point in the game where he tried to get a stoppage in play by feigning an equipment issue and the ref refused to give him a stoppage in play and let him go to the bench.

Team Concept

Jul 11, 2002
Wingdale, New York
Martin Broduer=Mariano Rivera

Broduer's swan song will be the 2013-2014. Hopefully all the NHL teams respect his career work and honor him like the MLB teams are recognizing Rivera so far this baseball season.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Hey guys, new here, thought I'd add some thoughts.

First and most importantly, it really sucks to see the way the season played out and especially sucks to see how awful the team played without Marty and Kovy.

Secondly, we have an atrocious offense, a geriatric defense and an upcoming goalie problem. What needs to happen is to buy out Volch, trade Tallinder and let Harrold walk, in order to mix some young guys in, I don't expect Merrill in but I'd expect Urbom in next year. A top 6 winger is an unquestionable must, a REAL first line winger to compliment Kovalchuk would be fantastic. Not sure how to address goalie issue, I was big on Wedgewood but not sure how I feel about him anymore(granted, he is in the ECHL with their AWFUL defense). I would love to acquire Bernier or Schnieder but the cost is probably too much for us.

Also, even though our beloved Devils are out, Minnesota is down 3-1 to Calgary!! Man I really, hope they miss the playoffs :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad