Post-Game Talk: The Worst GDT Ever Again: Devils visit Rangers 3pm

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
So with that logic, Marty has been an average career goalie notably in the years he won the cup when his save % hovered around .900-.910

We scored 16 goals in that 10 game stretch, three games we didn't score at all, twice we scored once - that is half of that stretch right there with no offense

Goals are going to go in, it's just the way things work, there is only so much a goalie can do when the team in front of him can't put the puck in the net

You can't win hockey games when you can't score more than the other team, let alone score at all

No disagreement on the last part but I stand by my feelings on the subject in general.

DevilChuk*

Listen, I really like a lot of you on this forum and I'm really emotional about this team as we all are. I don't try to get personal with anyone or throw tons of F-bombs.

I just think there is an elephant in the room here that people keep ignoring or have been for a couple years.

Maybe I'm the one who is wrong, and I hope I am, but I don't think I am, especially for our chances at success for next season.

Now it's a couple of years?

seriously?

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
What annoys me to hell about the Marty discussion is the endless train of excuses for his poor stats. Oh D-man X was out of position, D-man Y should have done this, it was re-directed, the shooter was a sniper, blah blah blah blah blah. It's like no other goalie in the league faces these same problems. I guess every goalie who has better stats (which is the vast majority of starters in the league now) never have to face defensive breakdowns. They have perfect D.

There are goalies on other teams who not only face more shots, but more quality chances and still have better #'s (GAA or save %).

He's not good enough to rely on anymore. This team needs to find his replacement next season and start the transition. That's just the cold hard reality.

That being said, lack of offense was the top issue for this season.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
Listen, I really like a lot of you on this forum and I'm really emotional about this team as we all are. I don't try to get personal with anyone or throw tons of F-bombs.

I just think there is an elephant in the room here that people keep ignoring or have been for a couple years.

Maybe I'm the one who is wrong, and I hope I am, but I don't think I am, especially for our chances at success for next season.

I agree with you. I've continuously wondered about the future of the goalie position here for a while now. I don't understand what were doing when it comes to looking for Marty's air apparent. Bringing back Hedberg for this year was a cop out. We have to get a younger goalie here during this offseason. I don't know how that happens but it needs to. I love Marty to death but it's becoming pretty clear that he needs to split with another goalie at this point in his career and then sort of get ushered out. He wasn't the problem at all this year but I feel like its time stop dicking around and look for his replacement.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
One thing to look at here too that I wanted to point out. I'm pretty sure in 06-07 Marty faced the most shots in his career in a single season. That was also the year he posted his second best career save percentage which was a 922. In fact historically in games where he's faced more shots he has a better save percentage. I would bet he has a better save percentage this year in games he's faced 25+ shots than his overall save percentage this year. Though maybe not a big enough sample size cause there hasn't been too many this year that's faced over 25.

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
In all honesty a defensive system I don't think truly helps a goalie as much as it's believed.

It works wonders for garbage backups like Brian Elliott in St Louis, but it's also hurt Jaro Halak in St Louis who has 3 shutouts this year, but a below 900 save percentage I'm pretty sure. And he's played like 10 games.

In a defensive system you never truly get in a groove at all. You could face 2 shots in a period, and then a total onslaught if your team goes on the PK, or at anytime really. Now we don't play a defensive system, but we do play a system that keeps play out of the defensive zone for the most part. Of which Marty is a big part, and he was during the trap years too.

In the years 98-99 to 01-02 Brodeur had a 906 save percentage for 3 of those 4 years, and a 910 in the other which was 99-00. It's hard to expect a 40 year old to play at a level he did when he was in his 20s. He also faced a minute amount of shots those years as well.

Dude, you were supposed to give me a Guy Boucher impersonation! I set it up for a one-timer and you gave me a well thought out, well punctuated response.

With all seriousness, this kind of system should be a boon for Marty. Marty at his age can't hold up to the 40 shot barrages he used to face and look like a wizard in facing. Marty is guessing a lot and he used to rely on his athleticism, but he's been getting burned on shots that really aren't difficult to save, just a product of bad positioning, faulty guesswork, and some bad luck.

DevilChuk*

What annoys me to hell about the Marty discussion is the endless train of excuses for his poor stats. Oh D-man X was out of position, D-man Y should have done this, it was re-directed, the shooter was a sniper, blah blah blah blah blah. It's like no other goalie in the league faces these same problems. I guess every goalie who has better stats (which is the vast majority of starters in the league now) never have to face defensive breakdowns. They have perfect D.

There are goalies on other teams who not only face more shots, but more quality chances and still have better #'s (GAA or save %).

He's not good enough to rely on anymore. This team needs to find his replacement next season and start the transition. That's just the cold hard reality.

Not disagreeing with you entirely but facing more shots often leads to a higher save percentage..

He's an average goaltender right now and that's fine. He's not stealing games, he's certainly not losing them either. If we can find a young back-up that can split time with him next year and take over soon after.. then fine.. but otherwise, there's not many goalies available that are above average and worth replacing him with.

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
Now it's a couple of years?

seriously?

Yes.

Marty almost retired twice in the past two seasons. He admitted after the McLean fiasco he thought about retiring and actually admitted in the midst of it just when Lemaire had come in he was a part of the problem and needed to do more. Even last year when the Devils hit their rough stretch, Marty admitted in the playoffs he came close to deciding sometime in the December-January timeframe it was time to go if that's the level he was playing at (given the current time).

RandoDoomer

Apr 6, 2007
Bridgewater, NJ
Never thought I'd see the day when Brodeur overstayed his welcome. But seems like he has, reading the forums.

I'm neutral on the subject. I don't feel any more frustrated with him now than I did in say 2010 or 2001 or 1996 or 1994, etc. He's always let in the odd soft or inexplicable goal.

I wonder if he's regretting the decision resigning here and not somewhere with an *ahem* offense.

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
Not disagreeing with you entirely but facing more shots often leads to a higher save percentage..

He's an average goaltender right now and that's fine. He's not stealing games, he's certainly not losing them either. If we can find a young back-up that can split time with him next year and take over soon after.. then fine.. but otherwise, there's not many goalies available that are above average and worth replacing him with.

That's not always true though. Look at Bryzgalov. He faces far more shots and his save % is terrible. Brian Elliott this year was another example until he turned it around. Going back a few years ago, Nabokov was an example of this. Even Patrick Roy when he was in Colorado had stretches which would serve as a counterpoint.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
Never thought I'd see the day when Brodeur overstayed his welcome. But seems like he has, reading the forums.

I'm neutral on the subject. I don't feel any more frustrated with him now than I did in say 2010 or 2001 or 1996 or 1994, etc. He's always let in the odd soft or inexplicable goal.

I wonder if he's regretting the decision resigning here and not somewhere with an *ahem* offense.

i don't think he has overstayed his welcome but as an organization and a fan you have to know 1 more season probably where he is even a competent starter..thats not his fault but i think next season his backup needs to be not hedberg...no disrepect to either of them but they are both going to be out of the league in the next 1-3 years and we don't know what's coming up the pipeline if anything..so its time they get a young starter

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ

Yes, you are correct.

If we go into next season without an upgrade in goal they will not go far or even get in.

Marty means so much to our fans,I understand them coming to his defense and making excuses.

It's hard to accept reality at times.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York

Okay, so there honestly weren't games this season when the Devils were out shooting their opponent, let's just say 2 to 1, yet the other team still somehow had better scoring chances? It happened so many times this year that I lost count. But never mind that, he basically got zero goal support. This is why i was saying when Hedberg was in that Marty taking over really wasn't going to make much of a difference.

Everyone can see that Marty is not what he once was but I just don't see how a better goaltender truly makes this team any better. They are what they are. The goal should always be to have a strong enough team that you don't have to rely on your goaltender, especially at 41 years of age, to steal you games all of the time. That's what this team needed this year (just to be first round fodder no less) because they can't score to save their lives. It's asking way too much. I mean whatever, I really don't see the drop off in Marty's game from last year when he was 2 wins away from wining his 4th cup, but to each their own. But I can tell you that this team took some big steps back in other areas.

Someone is going to take over for him real soon so a lot of you will get your wish, but not much is going to change unless some more talent is brought in to help put the puck in the net. They have a great system in place, but the horses aren't all completely there.

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast

I don't think he really had many suitors to be honest. I mean supposedly Toronto sniffed around him a bit and so did TB, but it supposedly was to be more of a a mentor and backup in case guys like Reimer and Lindback stumbled.

Plus, I could only imagine what would have happened if Brodeur had to play in behind that TB defense. It would have been sad.

I don't believe the story that Marty had a two year offer from another team. I think the 2 year offer was kind of like a retirement present/thank you from the Devils for what Marty had meant to the team and so Marty didn't have to see his ego take a hit.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007

i think people think the guy will play into his 50's he has at the bitter end of a great career.. that being said i have no problem with one more year of broduer but it better be someone that just started shaving backing him up...this team can stockpile all the good young defensman they want but it jeff frazee is between the pipes in two years we are gonna stink...jeff frazee is jus tthe name i threw in to prove a point maybe he is good i have no clue but you get my point

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I love Marty to death, but if we go into next season with the same goaltending we're in trouble. Marty will be 41 next season, and you simply can not rely on a 41 year old goaltender to carry the load. They need to go out and get a goaltender capable of playing 30+ games and possibly taking over for him as soon as next year.

NC107*

Lou must be fired for his failure of making the playoffs two year out of three years. Vanderbeek can't hire his son to replace him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad