OT: The Wonder OT Thread (what is the secret of off topic?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurn

Jan 23, 2023
watched Sunday's episode of Last Of Us, just wanted to add a public service message:
if you, or someone else get stabbed, leave the 'weapon' in place. Let the professionals take it out.
keep the person, and the stabbing instrument immobile. Stabilize the protrusion so it doesn't move.
It is possible to do more damage taking it out, than when it went in, in to begin with.
You can nick an artery, or 'undam' a artery bleed that is blocked by the knife blade.

nother thing- in movies the car that goes into the ditch always blows up- this almost NEVER happens in real life.
If the car isn't on fire, take your time, make sure nobody moves until the ambulance folk come and check people out.
don't want a slipped disc in someone's back severing a nerve and turning them into a paraplegic.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I don't go to a bank branch often these days (like many, I rely on online banking alot) but I just noticed a Vancity branch I visited recently had a sign posted up that they were closed during the following hours for lunch. Bankers hours indeed.:sarcasm:

Note: I don't begrude rank & file workers taking their lunch break at the normal time (like noon) but where I worked, we worked around that by people taking their lunch breaks at staggered hours so the business wouldn't have to shut-down for an hour.

Though I will grant Vancity it at least keeps their standard of having a certain political lean.

Reactions: Gurn

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I don't go to a bank branch often these days (like many, I rely on online banking alot) but I just noticed a Vancity branch I visited recently had a sign posted up that they were closed during the following hours for lunch. Bankers hours indeed.:sarcasm:

Note: I don't begrude rank & file workers taking their lunch break at the normal time (like noon) but where I worked, we worked around that by people taking their lunch breaks at staggered hours so the business wouldn't have to shut-down for an hour.

Though I will grant Vancity it at least keeps their standard of having a certain political lean.

I work in a credit union as well. Can't speak specifically for Vancity, but staffing has been a real challenge for financial institutions across the board (just like everyone else).

We've had a few days where a number of us worked through lunch / stayed and ate lunch at our desks so we weren't leaving 1 person alone in the branch on the front line. You always want at least a few bodies for security's sake.

Long ramble short - I can see staffing getting so short that it would be sensible to lock the doors while they ate lunch, and then re-open.

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
I work in a credit union as well. Can't speak specifically for Vancity, but staffing has been a real challenge for financial institutions across the board (just like everyone else).

We've had a few days where a number of us worked through lunch / stayed and ate lunch at our desks so we weren't leaving 1 person alone in the branch on the front line. You always want at least a few bodies for security's sake.

Long ramble short - I can see staffing getting so short that it would be sensible to lock the doors while they ate lunch, and then re-open.
Makes sense as I don't recall this policy before COVID at Vancity (but again, alot of things tend to slip by me for a while :laugh:)

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
I was daydreaming at work today and a thought occurred to me. I don't know if Disney would have ever worked as well as it did if Walt had a different last name. Any more unique or simple and it wouldn't roll off the tongue the way it does.

Who would want to go see a Smith movie?

Or who would want to visit BachmannLand?

Reactions: Hit the post

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
I was daydreaming at work today and a thought occurred to me. I don't know if Disney would have ever worked as well as it did if Walt had a different last name. Any more unique or simple and it wouldn't roll off the tongue the way it does.

I'm surprised this wasn't a big hit!

:sarcasm:

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013

Illuminati would make it work.

• Haha
Reactions: Gurn and The Stig

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
The site is stupid sometimes. Now on my work PC, half the time I click to get into a thread, I get redirected to this stupid Endby site. Like I get you need to advertise, but maybe make the site still usable.

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
I don't want to give Mr C any ideas but....

Mr C.png

:eek3:

Gurn

Jan 23, 2023

Is Bachmann land a giant HO gauge model railway display; or a place where Randy displays his formerly HUGE guitar collection?

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
Is Bachmann land a giant HO gauge model railway display; or a place where Randy displays his formerly HUGE guitar collection?
Did you read where Randy had lost (or was it stolen? Can't remember) his favourite guitar decades ago & a fan found out he actually had it in is possession. He got hold of Randy & reunited it with its owner. Think Randy gave him another guitar as a reward. There are some happy endings.

Gurn

Jan 23, 2023
Did you read where Randy had lost (or was it stolen? Can't remember) his favourite guitar decades ago & a fan found out he actually had it in is possession. He got hold of Randy & reunited it with its owner. Think Randy gave him another guitar as a reward. There are some happy endings.
It was stolen, while he was in Japan. Over the years it was re sold a few times, iirc, then the newest owner found out it was Randy's, so he returned it.
I'd say he must have put his name on it somewhere, otherwise how can you tell one guitar from another, given the same year and manufacturer?
Wonder how many of the owners knew it was stole- and didn't care, or liked knowing that?

Reactions: Hit the post

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Anyone excited for the start of the f1 season? And or jon jones heavyweight debut?
I am huffing that Aston Martin hopium

got confused for a second seeing this come up in cinema discussion:

Jim Benning voting for himself in the Sight and Sound poll of the greatest films of all time

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
I'd actually make more over there in my line of work, but they have a surplus as well, so YMMV. Or my mileage I guess. We have friends out in Cranbrook, I really like it there too. My parents are from the Kootenays, I think that style of life agrees with me more. Also it took damn near 30 years but I got out to Calgary 2 weeks ago. Not as flat as I'd imagined but if not for the sun I could not find North or South for the life of me.
Come visit me bro

4th line culture

Jan 11, 2020
I am huffing that Aston Martin hopium

got confused for a second seeing this come up in cinema discussion:

Jim Benning voting for himself in the Sight and Sound poll of the greatest films of all time

Looks like a 3rd straight world championship for max eh. Aston Martin is for real as well

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
I really wish Cities/Municipalities would do something about electronic scooters using sidewalks.

After seeing one run a pedestrian off the sidewalk yesterday (along with nearly being clipped multiple times myself) I finally reached out to the City of Burnaby.
…Would anyone be surprised that a municipal government is saying it’s someone else’s problem? lol

And everyone thought bikes on the sidewalks were the worst…

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I really wish Cities/Municipalities would do something about electronic scooters using sidewalks.

After seeing one run a pedestrian off the sidewalk yesterday (along with nearly being clipped multiple times myself) I finally reached out to the City of Burnaby.
…Would anyone be surprised that a municipal government is saying it’s someone else’s problem? lol

And everyone thought bikes on the sidewalks were the worst…

There's really only one solution:

SparseHealthyAfricangroundhornbill-size_restricted.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad