Speculation: The Wings Pick at 4th: The Runner-Up

Who Is Your Second Choice?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hkydave04

Mar 8, 2016
Here are my thoughts on Perfetti:

He reminds me most of modern Kucherov (whom I view as primarily a passer now vs a sniper when he entered the league). Firstly Perfetti has a complete offensive toolkit. I think his most impressive offensive quality is his knowledge of each of his teammate's and each defender's position at all times in the O-zone. His ability to pull a defender to him and then thread a pass across the middle into the slot or the opposite wing for a one timer is extremely high quality. It's very reminiscent for me to Kuch finding Point in the slot or Stamkos at the other wall on the Tampa PP. His passes are also extremely accurate, always onto the stick and rarely picked off even when it's under a sliding defender or through someone pressuring him. When his team turns it over, Perfetti is really good at reading the breakout pass and picking it off.

His ability to find teammates is heavily predicated on his stick handling ability. He loves to turn away from his check to gain a bit of space, then turn back while toe dragging around or beating the triangle through the defender. This lets him buy time to find a teammate and pushes the defense back so that he has the space he needs. His hands are also great for beating defenders off the rush to get a break and the goalie to bury chances in close or on breakaways.

His shot is also high quality. He likes to float into the slot and release an accurate wrister or set up on the half wall to bury a one timer. I haven't seen him be effective from distance so I think he lacks power, but his placement is great. He also has a fairly deceptive release IMO, pulling the puck into his body to change the angle. In combination with his hands and passing ability it makes him a very complete offensive threat.

My main criticism of Perfetti is his intensity. He gets bulled over a lot and doesn't finish his checks. If he sees a big hit coming he often turns away even if it means surrendering possession- making a rushed pass or letting his opponent win a puck in the corner. He sneaks into the slot, but doesn't battle to stay there.

I think this makes his skating look worse than it is. Certainly his stride looks sluggish to me and he isn't a burner, but his pivots and agility are great. He often ends up trailing the play though. Some of this is his lack of top end speed, some of this is his desire to get lost as a trailer, but I think a lot of it too is his lack of intensity to burn his way up and down the ice.

It also makes his physicality look worse than it is. I've seen him fend off checks well, use his body well to protect the puck. He's just too reluctant to really battle it out for the puck. He does a great job as the third man into a scrum, reaching in and pulling the puck away with his hands, but doesn't do as well as the guy actively engaging his opponent.

Ultimately I like Perfetti a lot. I think he'd be a great partner for Zadina and they'd put up a lot of points together. Furthermore I think he has sky high potential and would improve s lot with the right coaching. If he cleans up his stride mechanics and builds his lower body, I think his skating can get a lot better. If he puts on some weight, I think he'll stand up to physicality a lot better and be a nightmare to strip the puck from. If he gets proper coaching on how to better balance trailing the play and more aggressively pressure defenders or push the pace, I think he'll be more involved in the play. All of his flaws are very addressable, but you never know if it will actually happen. Either way his strengths are tremendous. He can shoot, pass and stick handle as well as anyone in the draft. He makes very creative plays and finds holes in the defense very well.

Sounds too much like Zadina to me, not a bad thing, just we already have that type player. And i don't like his lack of fight or intensity, which i noticed watching videos of him. I also don't see him as a center in the NHL, which is another draw back. Again a similar style player to Zadina. I prefer Rossi who has the skill and high intensity and a center in NHL. Raymond as my 2nd choice. Drysdale is my 3rd choice and Perfetti my 4th

Reactions: lilidk

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Sounds too much like Zadina to me, not a bad thing, just we already have that type player. And i don't like his lack of fight or intensity, which i noticed watching videos of him. I also don't see him as a center in the NHL, which is another draw back. Again a similar style player to Zadina. I prefer Rossi who has the skill and high intensity and a center in NHL. Raymond as my 2nd choice. Drysdale is my 3rd choice and Perfetti my 4th

PastelDismalBlackrhino-max-14mb.gif

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I messed up, voted Lyndell assuming Perfetti was gone, would be Perfetti instead.

Great, you just ruined the whole poll. :sarcasm:

On the draft days, have we ever considered having polls within each selected player's thread to measure how satisfied we are with the picks? For at least the first three rounds?

We haven't done that yet, but maybe that's something we could do going forward. From experience, though, people haven't been exactly shy about expressing how they feel about our picks.

Reactions: Realgud

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
We haven't done that yet, but maybe that's something we could do going forward. From experience, though, people haven't been exactly shy about expressing how they feel about our picks.

That's true. I just thought it'd be a nice quantitative snapshot to go with the comments.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Dunno how much stock to put into rumors about Wings draft, few people had any idea they were going with Seider last year. Almost feels like the more you hear about them liking someone the less likely it is they take them. Be interesting to see how it shakes out.

Hoping for Raymond, think he has the most upside of who's available but I can live with pretty much anyone in that 4-10 range, will trust the new scouting staff to get it right. I do hope they see Perfetti as a C if they're taking him at 4 tho, I don't think Ras is an NHL center and this team does not need anymore LH shot wingers
I see it the other way completely. Looking back on last year's draft, several people quite clearly knew the pick was Seider ahead of time. Some of them even posted it on this site. It's just that nobody believed them.

It's likely somebody on here is calling the pick for a particular player and doing it with 100% the right information. We just don't know which one they are.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Meaningless, because Yzerman won't leak a single thing.

That doesn't mean they know other people. I am getting a little tired of this.

Yzerman runs a tight ship, there are still rumors that have always circulated around his teams that do come true and hold more weight than some others. Honestly he isn't a complete vault, he is hard to read, I like that about him. But people denying anything and pretending this is the most impossible thing of all-time... Guys/Gals our Director of Scouting is a guy that you wonder if he ever shuts his mouth at times. Draper isn't Al Murray, there are guys on the Wings staff that talk, he isn't alone.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I read a report a couple days ago arguing that the Wings are focused on Raymond, Drysdale and Rossi. That stated Stevie didn't have much to say in the Perfetti interview (unlike with the others) and suggested that it could have something to do with Perfetti having played on a second line instead of on a first line (or first pairing) like the others. I can't find the report now...

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I read a report a couple days ago arguing that the Wings are focused on Raymond, Drysdale and Rossi. That stated Stevie didn't have much to say in the Perfetti interview (unlike with the others) and suggested that it could have something to do with Perfetti having played on a second line instead of on a first line (or first pairing) like the others. I can't find the report now...

Perfetti has played on the top line in Saginaw for the last two seasons at least...

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I think I'm switching over to Team Askarov. Just seems like the highest upside and the most likely to hit it to me, even if he is a goalie. I can get excited about him.

*still very much subject to change

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Perfetti has been top line for at least the past two season, In fact with Grewe going to Saginaw the talk is Perfetti-Suzuki-Grewe on the top line.

Reactions: hkydave04

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Neither of those are off the board

No

But they're not the most commonly thought or linked players to the DRW or ranked consistently in the top 4 in various rankings

No drafting raymond, drysdale or perfetti would be akin to the kings not drafting byfield or stuzle, ie, not expected

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan

Do you have a link to this report? Because everything I’ve read says Perfetti is pretty much on top of the Wings radar.

Reactions: hkydave04

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad