Speculation: The Wings Pick at 4th: The Runner-Up

Who Is Your Second Choice?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
No

But they're not the most commonly thought or linked players to the DRW or ranked consistently in the top 4 in various rankings

No drafting raymond, drysdale or perfetti would be akin to the kings not drafting byfield or stuzle, ie, not expected
I’d be far more shocked if byfield or stutzle slipped than I would the wings not drafting one of those three. Like, a lot.

Reactions: lilidk

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
If you want Askarov or sanderson, you don't trade down and risk settling for someone you don't want.
Yup. We all know Stevie doesn't operate in that fashion. If he thinks Askarov or Sanderson are the pick, he will pick them. We've seen him do it plenty in the past, look no further than Seider.

Reactions: Realgud and MBH

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
If you want Askarov or sanderson, you don't trade down and risk settling for someone you don't want.
You only trade down if you know they will be available at a certain spot, Askarov should be available from 10 to 13 lets say maybe Sanderson from 8 to 10 trade down 3 or 4 positions. That's what i'm saying. But there's no reason to trade down because whoever Yzerman takes at #4 should fill our needs.

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
Trade down possible options:
#4 for #5 and #61
#4 for #6 and #36
#4 for #7 and #20
#4 for #8 and #38

Which of those is the most likely?

4th hasn't been traded recently. Last time 5th was moved was for #7/#37/#68

Yup. We all know Stevie doesn't operate in that fashion. If he thinks Askarov or Sanderson are the pick, he will pick them. We've seen him do it plenty in the past, look no further than Seider.
He tried to trade down and couldn't find a partner that he was comfortable with.

Last edited:

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
dont know whats happening with the 4OA . but i predict some how yzerman gets a pick to draft guhle with . he dominates territory all 200' and makes a perfect hronek running mate . big bodied , rugged , good skating fits yzermans , and mine , D design . guhles my 2nd fave player this draft after stutzle so i think he goes sooner than many are predicting

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
dont know whats happening with the 4OA . but i predict some how yzerman gets a pick to draft guhle with . he dominates territory all 200' and makes a perfect hronek running mate . big bodied , rugged , good skating fits yzermans , and mine , D design . guhles my 2nd fave player this draft after stutzle so i think he goes sooner than many are predicting

I think you need to give up the hope of Guhle being a Red Wing. By all means, continue the love affair wherever he ends up, just start to be comfortable with the fact that he won’t be in Detroit.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
I think you need to give up the hope of Guhle being a Red Wing. By all means, continue the love affair wherever he ends up, just start to be comfortable with the fact that he won’t be in Detroit.
- HEDMAN
- SERGACHEV
- MCDONAH
- CERNAK

* more big dmen are on the way to this roster , and im betting yzerman is very high on guhle and would use a mid 1st round pick on him if he can attain one in a cap dump trade . guhle / hronek is a dream 2nd pairing , hronek can jump up 24/7 while with guhles wheels he can always cover for him = hroneks numbers increase . and in our end both players scrappy . if you draft drysdale with the 4th to play with seider our d is rebuilt / . then draft forwards in 2nd n 3rd .

* dont listen to me im in draft delay shock and just ranting

Last edited:

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?

didnt know there was that kind of guhle love out there. If Devils high on Drysdale or Raymond and DRW were targeting Askarov or Sanderson might make sense to trade 4OA and a second for NJD 2 1st rounders.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
didnt know there was that kind of guhle love out there. If Devils high on Drysdale or Raymond and DRW were targeting Askarov or Sanderson might make sense to trade 4OA and a second for NJD 2 1st rounders.
i add im not saying ide draft guhle top 10 . he just exactly fits my team design where i want big , rugged , good skating dmen to make it hell on opponants to generate offense vs me . and way i see him hes a sure fire long term nhler because of those aspects , a classic #4 dman and pk'er

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
I’m convinced Yzerman is going with Asakarov. It sounds like there are 4 truly elite prospects this draft, and 1 is just assumed to fall because prospects from that position are harder to project. And I think Yzerman is not trying to find serviceable players, he is looks for stars with his first round picks. If we miss out on the 3 elite forwards I think it’s a no brainer that he will pick the generational goalie prospect.

I kind of hope I’m wrong cause I also don’t like the idea of drafting a goalie that high, but I think the logics pretty simple.

Reactions: decaguard

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Yeah I could definitely see us ending up with askarov. Would like to trade down a few spots if that's the case, but that's harder said than done.

I'd be OK with askarov. This is going to be a long rebuild and goalies take a while.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I’m convinced Yzerman is going with Asakarov. It sounds like there are 4 truly elite prospects this draft, and 1 is just assumed to fall because prospects from that position are harder to project. And I think Yzerman is not trying to find serviceable players, he is looks for stars with his first round picks. If we miss out on the 3 elite forwards I think it’s a no brainer that he will pick the generational goalie prospect.

I kind of hope I’m wrong cause I also don’t like the idea of drafting a goalie that high, but I think the logics pretty simple.

This is exactly what Yzerman needs to do and I'll be extremely disappointed if he doesn't. We are still in the infancy of a rebuild, so you shoot for the stars. We don't need 'fill in' players. You MUST go for the absolute elite guy available.

Rossi/Raymond/Perfetti/Drysdale/Sanderson are not projected to be franchise elite players... albeit, great players, not game breakers.

*if* Askorov is the elite franchise game breaker that is available at 4, you take him.. you take him and never look back!

It solves 2 things for us:
1. We get a blue chip franchise elite player that is arguably one of most talented in this draft (nice return after getting screwed on the lottery)
2. fills a hole (a major, massive hole).

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Yeah I could definitely see us ending up with askarov. Would like to trade down a few spots if that's the case, but that's harder said than done.

I'd be OK with askarov. This is going to be a long rebuild and goalies take a while.

Well...Askarov may not take that long. Which I think is part of the reason he’s even a consideration at 4. He’s done more than most young goalies in proving he can play at a high level pre-draft.

I’m not a fan of goalies generally, but as the draft gets closer and closer, I could see myself stoked with an Askarov selection, even at #4.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Do you have a link to this report? Because everything I’ve read says Perfetti is pretty much on top of the Wings radar.
Sorry, I can't find it. It doesn't seem to be a popular source, more of a sports blog or something, but the inside information about the interview was surprising.

I've tried searching a number of different ways for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->