The Western Conference- Anaheim's to lose?

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Maybe because the Ducks are so into their heads, and the fact the Flames knew they were toast once this pairing was finalized.

Thing about the Ducks is they are pretty consistent, they don't go on long winning streaks or losing streaks. If they play 5 games in the regular season they win 3 of them night in and night out.

Flames are much more streaky, streaky teams are higher risk playoff teams. See Columbus, they had 1 amazing streak mid season, but have been pretty pedestrian since then with some long losing streaks.

Ducks are not flashy, they are just a very solid and deep hockey club. That is impressive in my mind

Uh alright sure they are consistent. Still think they've had a poor showing and will get blown out by the top tier teams. Calgary has just been too busy shooting themselves in the foot.

Michael Scarn

Jan 30, 2015
No it's pretty wide open. Nashville looks great. St. Louis will get Stastny back any day and he completely changes that team, especially in their own zone winning face offs. Talbot has been fantastic and Edmonton continues to just gain confidence and experience. And the biggest thing would be if Chicago or Minnesota find their game and come back. They'd then have to be the favorites.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Uh alright sure they are consistent. Still think they've had a poor showing and will get blown out by the top tier teams. Calgary has just been too busy shooting themselves in the foot.

Again that isnt fact calgary is playing a beat up blue line and losing well likely be health for round 2... you are starting to sound sour at this point well put up a fight vs whoever we play in the playoffs idk if well win a cup but well make every team earn it, havnt even played a good game yet and were up 3-0 with half a blue line.

Last edited:

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Why are we still writing off the Predators? You'd think being up 3-0 on the favorite coming in would give them a bit more hype.

Anaheim has been beating a fairly weak Calgary team, as expected. That series is probably closer than it should be.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Why are we still writing off the Predators? You'd think being up 3-0 on the favorite coming in would give them a bit more hype.

Anaheim has been beating a fairly weak Calgary team, as expected. That series is probably closer than it should be.

Not with the defense we are currently playing, calgary should be winning

effeffeight

Dec 1, 2016
If the Ducks make it out I still don't think we'll be able to beat Nashville. Rinne is standing on his head and he always seems to kill us anyway, especially in the playoffs.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
If Nashville can keep this play up, then I do see them as favorite. So much speed and intensity. Looks like a classic checking line, but with tons of skills, they have totally run over chicago so far. They are the ones that have impresse the most on me.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Defs the preds imo, they are unreal right now, they even support two of the best possession lines in the PO to boot.

Jul 22, 2012
Yeah it has to be the Preds. Even before them destroying Chicago, I didn't like the Ducks chances against them.

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
I don't think it's anyone's to lose, it's anyone's to take. Look at how the 1st rd is playing out. The favorites that everyone picked are not looking so good. I don't see anyone being stacked, will come down to who wants it more and maybe has a little luck on their side.

SirQuacksALot

A Garibaldi in Kelp
Mar 16, 2010
Two of the Ducks' top 4, and the two highest scoring, defensemen are out. Vats might be back soon, Fowler probably won't be until about the time of the conference, or even cup, finals. Not only are the Ducks giving up more quality scoring chances that they would be otherwise, but their offense is a bit less dynamic. A fast, offensive team like Edmonton is going to exploit that, if that's that matchup happens. The West is far from Anaheim's to lose.

Dieseloil

Jul 31, 2016
Two of the Ducks' top 4, and the two highest scoring, defensemen are out. Vats might be back soon, Fowler probably won't be until about the time of the conference, or even cup, finals. Not only are the Ducks giving up more quality scoring chances that they would be otherwise, but their offense is a bit less dynamic. A fast, offensive team like Edmonton is going to exploit that, if that's that matchup happens. The West is far from Anaheim's to lose.

This, Calgary has played well in the effort department, looked real good last night in the first, but they are playing a severely shorthanded team on the backend. Nothing is a slam dunk and the Ducks, if they make it through to the next round will be in tough against the Oilers or Sharks.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
If Chicago is the big favorite and they are getting their collective ***** kicked, wouldn't it follow that the team doling out said ass kicking would be the new favorite?

mfw13

Oct 20, 2006
I don't think it's anyone's to lose, it's anyone's to take. I don't see anyone being stacked, will come down to who wants it more and maybe has a little luck on their side.

Bingo.

People underestimate how big a role luck plays in a sport like hockey, where many goals are scored off of deflections and rebounds (both of which can go anywhere).

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
Feels like people are almost trying to spin the Calgary series as a negative for the Ducks. These are all NHL teams in the playoffs it's not gonna be a 3 goal victory every night. The Ducks are up 3-0 in cruise control mode because they are constantly winning, once they start facing better competition/lose a game they'll up their game when it's needed. It's a natural tendency to slack off a bit when everything is coming so easily.

As for Nashville they are peaking now they usually top out in the first round, Rinne's .979 save percentage ain't gonna last.

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015

Fowler already skating in full gear, and traveled with the team to Calgary. It could take him to the conference finals to come back I suppose, but my guess is he's back by the start/early second round.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Fowler and vatanen wil both likely be back for round 2 if we make it... i dont think edmontons speed will factor all that much plus i think edmonton will lose to the dharks

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
The Predators beat them last year and have only improved since then

The Ducks have only regressed since last year.

Personally I like our team and our coaching better then last year, I actually didn't mind the Randy hire. I do think the Preds have improved though and anyone can win this conference right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad