The Western Conference- Anaheim's to lose?

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I really thought the West was Chicago's for the taking. Assuming they go down, it really can be any team. That said, If Edmonton takes San Jose and finds a way to beat the Ducks (which they did in season series), I fear the Preds way more than the Blues.

The Big Unit

Oct 24, 2009
While my bracket had the Blackhawks winning, I think now it's Nashville's to lose. They've got the best defence and goaltending of any team that appears to be moving onto the 2nd round.

Cynick

Know-Nothing
Dec 24, 2008
Toronto
Yes but it's very possible – that's not a knock on Anaheim but rather acknowledgement that many of the teams in the West are strong enough to contend with the Ducks in a seven-game series.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
Has anyone been impressed by Anaheim?

This series has all been Flames falling apart.

Maybe because the Ducks are so into their heads, and the fact the Flames knew they were toast once this pairing was finalized.

Thing about the Ducks is they are pretty consistent, they don't go on long winning streaks or losing streaks. If they play 5 games in the regular season they win 3 of them night in and night out.

Flames are much more streaky, streaky teams are higher risk playoff teams. See Columbus, they had 1 amazing streak mid season, but have been pretty pedestrian since then with some long losing streaks.

Ducks are not flashy, they are just a very solid and deep hockey club. That is impressive in my mind

Oct 18, 2011
To be fair, Brian Elliott kinda gift-wrapped all 3 wins for us. We haven't really played much like a contender so far but we'll take the 3-0 lead as it comes.

As for weaknesses, I think we can at least classify a few on the Ducks:

Inexperience and lack of depth on the blue-line with Fowler and Vatanen out.
Kevin Bieksa (though granted he actually played very well tonight)
Team speed
The "elite" factor on the blue line
Perry getting his ass going would be nice, too. Hopefully the OT winner is finally the ketchup goal we've been waiting for.

But we're getting scoring up and down our lineup, both of our goaltenders are playing well, and our defensive core is rock-solid when healthy. (unfortunately it's not right now) Plus, the playoffs this year are about as wide-open as I can remember them ever being. Hopefully Fowler and Vatanen are back soon.

Ducks fans keep targeting Perry even though he has the most scoring chances 5 on 5 in the series so far

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
Interesting in this thread that people pick the Oilers as favourites if the 2nd round is Ducks/Oilers. Why is that? Down some defense there I get it, but Ducks are still the favourites in my books for that series. Oilers playing sharp right now with McDavid yet to find his game, but Anaheim still has another gear to show I think.

Interesting. Besides having your top 2 D-men out. What do you think the Ducks' issues so far in these playoffs are?

Well the Ducks just haven't really played a great game yet. I'm not going to give them credit until they actually show me their A game in these playoffs. Our 3-0 lead is due to one beast game by Getzlaf and a few very lucky bounces. Calgary has mostly outplayed us but Elliott hasn't given them a chance to win.

Anaheim's defense is really banged up. Our weakness is speed. I honestly wouldn't be shocked if Edmonton swept us.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Carlyle is a very good playoff coach, gonna have a chance if they get/stay healthy

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
They have as good a chance as any given Chicago looks like they'll be eliminated this round. Think the Blues, Predators and Oilers will be forces to reckoned with as well.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I don't see them beating edm or nsh

My Oilers have had issues with stopping Rakell and Eaves. The injured Ducks D could be a big weakness though.

Anyhow, Oilers need to focus on the Sharks first. Win another tight checking game and I'm happy. No pond hockey please.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
He's still slow and easy to push off the puck. He's been somewhat better in the playoffs but it'd be huge for our scoring depth if we could get 35-goal Perry back.

I get the distinct impression that Perry does not like Carlye. Hes had some of his worst seasons with that coach.

Draw Me a McElephant

Mar 9, 2011
If their D is healthy I'd say they are the favorites, but only slightly. Assuming Chicago is out the remaining western teams look very even at the moment.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I'd say the Predators have played the best hockey so far this playoffs out of all the Western Conference teams. But whoever comes out of the Oilers/Sharks series will be dangerous as well.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Could see Nashville being the Top Kid. Beat the #1 team and pretty badly on their own home ice that they've dominated all season at -- ya, that is kinda big.

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
To be fair, Brian Elliott kinda gift-wrapped all 3 wins for us. We haven't really played much like a contender so far but we'll take the 3-0 lead as it comes.

As for weaknesses, I think we can at least classify a few on the Ducks:

Inexperience and lack of depth on the blue-line with Fowler and Vatanen out.
Kevin Bieksa (though granted he actually played very well tonight)
Team speed
The "elite" factor on the blue line
Perry getting his ass going would be nice, too. Hopefully the OT winner is finally the ketchup goal we've been waiting for.

But we're getting scoring up and down our lineup, both of our goaltenders are playing well, and our defensive core is rock-solid when healthy. (unfortunately it's not right now) Plus, the playoffs this year are about as wide-open as I can remember them ever being. Hopefully Fowler and Vatanen are back soon.

Perry got married and is expecting his first kid. Other posters have said Getzlaf had a slump around this time in his carear.

To be fair, I think he has been busting his ass more nights than not since he got demoted to the 3rd line. Really, until Eaves was acquired, we just didn't have enough talent to go around and Getzlaf / Perry don't have the footspeed/skill/strength to dominate like they used to together.

I don't understand why so many of our fans think we have little chance against edmonton. If Fowler is back and we can get Vatanaen and Lindholm some rest, I really like our chances.

No dis-respect to Edmonton, I just think we're better / more experienced for the playoffs. They'll get there but this is their first postseason for most players.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
Perry got married and is expecting his first kid. Other posters have said Getzlaf had a slump around this time in his carear.

To be fair, I think he has been busting his ass more nights than not since he got demoted to the 3rd line. Really, until Eaves was acquired, we just didn't have enough talent to go around and Getzlaf / Perry don't have the footspeed/skill/strength to dominate like they used to together.

I don't understand why so many of our fans think we have little chance against edmonton. If Fowler is back and we can get Vatanaen and Lindholm some rest, I really like our chances.

No dis-respect to Edmonton, I just think we're better / more experienced for the playoffs. They'll get there but this is their first postseason for most players.
I like our chances as well. Us getting home-ice over Edmonton was big. But nothing's a sure thing, and we'll really need Fowler, Lindholm, and Vatanen at 100%.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I get the distinct impression that Perry does not like Carlye. Hes had some of his worst seasons with that coach.

Besides this year that's completely untrue. He also had his best year by far under Carlyle.

He may not like him but he's a professional and one of the most competitive guys around. He's not going to under-perform deliberately just because Carlyle was bought in.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00