The West Is Basically Set Now

klefbombs shoulder

Jul 21, 2023
Had LA showed up for Game 6, I think they win that series in 6
Considering the series was 3-2 for the Oilers going into game 6, no they wouldn't.

Congratulations.

Why are you talking about “three non-playoff teams & Edmonton.” Who are you to decide what a playoff team should look like.

And how come you missed the fact LA has made the playoffs three years in a row.
I think that user is preempting excuses for if the Leafs go out in round 1 and if the Oilers (a team they have a negative obsession with) go deep in the playoffs.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Vegas is Pandora's box.

If they're magically all healthy day 1 of playoffs (even if they take a game to orient themselves like last year.) They'll be a really hard out.

If they're still nursing wounds and what not. They may not be as tough an out as some other teams.
Last year they even admitted they were freakishly healthy all playoffs. Hard to know how they're feeling atm.

TheUnusedCrayon

Apr 12, 2018
Very likely now that Canucks play LA. Vegas has two walkover teams to play in Anaheim and Chicago and will likely pick up 4 points and pass LA

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Not if canucks win out no?

Canucks can only face kings or nashville i thought?
Not sure what you mean. If Vegas gets 4 points, they are 3rd in division, and play 2nd team, most likely Oilers.
It's Vegas, Nashville, or Kings for Canucks, there's still a lot of moving parts and Canucks can win Conference, win division but not conference, or finish 2nd in division.

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
Nashville is still Van’s most likely opponent. If Vegas wins out, they’ll pass the Kings and Vegas plays Chicago and Anaheim. If Vegas doesn’t win out, they can’t pass Nashville. The kings can only tie Nashville, and Nashville has the tiebreaker in the event Vegas passes L.A.

I believe the only way Van doesn’t play Nashville is if Van takes over top spot in the west.

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
Not if canucks win out no?

Canucks can only face kings or nashville i thought?

These scenarios are all f***ed lmao
I think also if Canucks lose all their games and Oilers win all theirs the Canucks will move to 2nd....so many scenarios...pretty fun.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
As a Kings fan I'd much rather take my chances against a new opponent instead of the Oilers for the 17th time in a row. LA very likely loses to Vancouver or Dallas anyway, but at least it's something different and 2 teams they might matchup slightly better against.

So here's to hoping Vegas wins out. Especially because they're probably a nightmare matchup for Edmonton.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
True, good catch. Van needs a single point in the last 2 to clinch top spot
Might be 2, because if they don't win any games, and Oilers tie them, Oilers have the tiebreaker. I guess, not sure if the tiebreaker is RW or ROW. Unless of course Oilers win both their games in SO :laugh:
Still too many scenarios

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
As a Kings fan I'd much rather take my chances against a new opponent instead of the Oilers for the 17th time in a row. LA very likely loses to Vancouver or Dallas anyway, but at least it's something different and 2 teams they might matchup slightly better against.

So here's to hoping Vegas wins out. Especially because they're probably a nightmare matchup for Edmonton.
I hope their effort last night against MN was not indicative of what they are going to bring to the playoffs. Looked like a very uninspired team.

Part of me is hoping for LA to go on a run, but that in itself might show what the problem with them is. I used to hate them...they were a nasty, big, mean team that gave you nothing. Now...nothing, except for the odd Doughty cheapshot. Danault, i like him.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
People are overlooking how close last year's Edmonton versus LA series was. Had LA showed up for Game 6, I think they win that series in 6. Otherwise that series was very close.

LA just laid a stinker in game 6, they were terrible. Lots of turning points in that series but the Oilers were definitely on the ropes heading back home for game 6 and LA wasn't able to get the job done.
Agree, it was a toss up series. I think the Kings are being overlooked, they play a style that is favored in playoff hockey. They can really grind you into the ground.
Now it's looking like Stars-Kings anyway so we likely won't see Kings-Oilers Part 3 in the 1st round at least.

PULSATING

Sep 20, 2018
I’m not debating why the bracket is weak, I’m just saying it is as it currently stands.

I don’t know why you’re asking me why Vegas would go through the Central if you understand how it works?

I don’t get your other comments about the Leafs. The Leafs are a #3 team in the Atlantic, but I’d pick them over #3 in the Pacific. I’d also pick Tampa over Nashville for #4’s.

If you want to compare the Atlantic bracket 1-4 with the Pacific:

Boston > Vancouver
Panthers > Edmonton
Leafs > LA
Tampa > Nashville
Leafs aren’t better than LA

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I hope their effort last night against MN was not indicative of what they are going to bring to the playoffs. Looked like a very uninspired team.

Part of me is hoping for LA to go on a run, but that in itself might show what the problem with them is. I used to hate them...they were a nasty, big, mean team that gave you nothing. Now...nothing, except for the odd Doughty cheapshot. Danault, i like him.
We know Kopitar, Doughty, Kempe, Danault, and hopefully Fiala will bring it. The middle 6 wingers aren't hurting the team. The defence is solid but not great.

The big question mark is Dubois. He had such a monster playoffs in the covid bubble. If that version of him makes a return that'd be a huge relief for the Kings.

But I've said it since the offseason, this team ain't winning shit as long the goaltending is unchanged.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad