The West Is Basically Set Now

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Wrong again.

They have won 5 playoff games.

I wished we could trade these two Stanley Cups in 2012 and 2014 for Toronto’s playoff succes this last decade.

5 total playoff games? I’m talking about per season. They haven’t won more than 3 playoff games in a season twice in the last decade. How many playoff games did the Leafs win in the same time frame?

Great, the LA Kings were great 11 years ago - does that make the Kings team today stronger? What is the point of that?

Reactions: Summer Rose

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Toronto has never been the best team in the Atlantic. They’ve had more playoff success than the Kings in the last decade.

The Kings won 3 playoff games (3, not 4) once in the last decade.
not trying to "ackshually" you but 2014 was a cup year, and in the last decade

and that's a little intentionally disingenuous selecting a decade when they won 2 cups and went to the conference final in the preceding 3 years, but you know that

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
not trying to "ackshually" you but 2014 was a cup year, and in the last decade

and that's a little intentionally disingenuous selecting a decade when they won 2 cups and went to the conference final in the preceding 3 years, but you know that

What does this have to do with the LA Kings today though?

I’m arguing the Leafs had more playoff success recently (last 5 years) than the LA Kings - it’s not saying much though.

You’re countering with the Kings won a Cup 10 years ago.

Today’s LA Kings team isn’t the Cup winning team. I don’t view the current team as stronger than the current Leafs. You may disagree.

I hope LA beats the Oilers and proves me wrong.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
5 total playoff games? I’m talking about per season. They haven’t won more than 3 playoff games in a season twice in the last decade. How many playoff games did the Leafs win in the same time frame?

Great, the LA Kings were great 11 years ago - does that make the Kings team today stronger? What is the point of that?

Now suddenly “how many playoff games” per season is important because the Leafs lost a few game 7s.

Of course..

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Now suddenly playoff games per season is important because the Leafs lost a few game 7s.

Of course.

How would you compare playoff teams without much success?

The Leafs won more playoff games and rounds than the LA Kings in the last 5 years.

There’s not many teams that have had less playoff success than the Leafs in the last 9 years. The LA Kings is one of them though.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
What does this have to do with the LA Kings today though?

I’m arguing the Leafs had more playoff success recently (last 5 years) than the LA Kings - it’s not saying much though.

You’re countering with the Kings won a Cup 10 years ago.

Today’s LA Kings team isn’t the Cup winning team. I don’t view the current team as stronger than the current Leafs. You may disagree.
no, i'm correcting something incorrect that you said. you said they only won 3 games once in 10 years, they won 3 games 5 times in that time frame

i don't view the current kings as stronger than the current leafs

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
How would you compare playoff teams without much success?

The Leafs won more playoff games and rounds than the LA Kings in the last 5 years.

There’s not many teams that have had less playoff success than the Leafs in the last 9 years. The LA Kings is one of them though.
Fact.

Its still nothing.
No idea why you think Toronto had any playoffs succes due to winning a few games and finally a series after 7 seasons.

Again, congrats.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
no, i'm correcting something incorrect that you said. you said they only won 3 games once in 10 years, they won 3 games 5 times in that time frame

Okay. They never won more than 3 playoff games once in a postseason in the last 9 years.

Is that correct?

Fact.

Its still nothing.
No idea how you think Toronto had any playoffs succes due to winning a few games and finally a series after 7 seasons.

Again, congrats.

Finally.

That’s all I’m saying. The Leafs have had more playoff success and been more competitive in series than the LA Kings lately. So I’d put them higher than the LA Kings in a playoff series.

I’m not pretending the Leafs are some world beaters or they won a Cup. Just they’ve had more success than the LA Kings. Just like the LA Kings had more playoff success than teams who didn’t make the playoffs in the last 5 years, like Ottawa and Buffalo.

Last edited:

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Than why is that even an option. Get rid of that and those annoying banners too.

I would worry about that.

You're doing it to attack the other poster.

There are reasons why it's allowed, but the site rules are the site rules.

Similar to how the site allows me to write "douchebag" but I can't call another poster "douchebag".

Clear?

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
I disagree. The top 2 teams in the Metro are much stronger than the top 2 in the Pacific. The bottom 2 may arguably be weaker but we’re talking about winning the bracket.

NYR & Carolina > Edmonton & Vancouver

Just based on points alone.

I'll give you slightly stronger maybe. Goal differential and regulation wins is very close between those sets of teams. There is no outlying runaway favorite this year, the top teams are all very close.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
All Vegas had to do was beat the Yotes and we wouldn't be in this situation. I would take LA over Vegas any day of the week.

Vegas can still slide back into the Pacific - but Vegas' situation is unique as the Stars would still face them in a 1-8 (assuming the standings stay as they are).

Vegas' team as it currently stands is probably an 8th seed. The problem is if everyone is healthy for the playoffs than they're no longer the same team they were for the regular season.

The only way for the Stars to avoid them would have been a 1-16 format, or like the PWHL where the top teams get to pick their opponent.

BurnabyJoe7

Not an Avalanche fan
Apr 12, 2019
The Nashville Vancouver matchup is almost a lock now too.

The kings-wild game tomorrow won't determine anything mathematically, but it will a good indicator of the last two matchups. If LA wins they'll likely keep 3rd and play the oilers. If they lose in regulation Vegas likely leapfrogs them.

Ghetty Green

Apr 7, 2018
Tampa is the wild card team in the Atlantic too though.

Essentially the formats are (as they currently stand):

StarsCanucksBruinsRangers
JetsOilersPanthersHurricanes
AvsKingsLeafsIslanders
KnightsPredatorsLightningCapitals

Which bracket would you want to go through?
Metro seems like the easiest division. Canes and Rangers got byes to the 2nd round

LA KINGs made the playoffs last year though
You expect a Leafs fan to know what's going on around the league ?

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
You can't really believe that? The road to the cup is a long and difficult one. Winning the first series does not guarantee anything. Injuries will happen and depth will be tested. Anything can and will happen.

If I'm a DAL fan I'm a bit pissed right now. Finish 1st OA and have to face a team that magically gets healthy and has all of their star players back. When the puck drops in round 1 they'll be icing a better team on paper than they did last year. DAL got the short end of the stick for having the best record.

If there is one top seed who could be going home early it's easily DAL.
I would take last years Vegas team over this years team. Last year the team was hungrier, healthier, and played much better defensively even in the second half of the season without Stone. That team also had Reilly Smith and Hill played much better this he did this season. The players seemed to hate the coach less too.

This years team looks prettier on paper but I would not be surprised to Dallas win or even dominate the series.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Tampa is the wild card team in the Atlantic too though.

Essentially the formats are (as they currently stand):

StarsCanucksBruinsRangers
JetsOilersPanthersHurricanes
AvsKingsLeafsIslanders
KnightsPredatorsLightningCapitals

Which bracket would you want to go through?
4th one. Easy call.

ChuckFanForever

Jun 5, 2011
Okay. They never won more than 3 playoff games once in a postseason in the last 9 years.

Is that correct?

Finally.

That’s all I’m saying. The Leafs have had more playoff success and been more competitive in series than the LA Kings lately. So I’d put them higher than the LA Kings in a playoff series.

I’m not pretending the Leafs are some world beaters or they won a Cup. Just they’ve had more success than the LA Kings. Just like the LA Kings had more playoff success than teams who didn’t make the playoffs in the last 5 years, like Ottawa and Buffalo.
There's still 3 members of the 2014 Championship team on the current LA Kings roster (Doughty, Kopitar, Lewis). They were also there for the 2012 Championship team...

nucks88

Jan 8, 2012
The Left Coast
LA loses to the same team every year. One team has to beat the other.

Okay, 2 playoff teams from last season in the entire bracket. One playoff team that won at least 3 playoff games last year in the entire bracket. You don’t think that’s the weakest bracket?

Yes I’m sure. The entire East doesn’t face only the top 4 in the Pacific. Vegas also isn’t in the Pacific bracket right now.

Don’t look at the Leafs record against the West by the way. It is better than every single one of those records.
Actually if you look at the Leafs record against the 3 Pacific teams ( which is clearly your agenda) and the new "Pacific Team" Nashville it is exactly .500....hardly a recipe for an "easy" roll through....

You look at their record against the Central...beat Dallas both times...split with Colorado 1-1.....beat Winnipeg both times....split with the new "Central Team " Vegas 1-1....

Rather "similar" with an edge to the Pacific I would think?

Good Luck getting out of the East anyways.....

Last edited:

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Actually if you look at the Leafs record against the 3 Pacific teams ( which is clearly your agenda) and the new "Pacific Team" Nashville it is exactly .500....hardly a recipe for an "easy" roll through....

You look at their record against the Central...beat Dallas both times...split with Colorado 1-1.....beat Winnipeg both times....split with the new "Central Team " Vegas 1-1....

Rather "similar" with an edge to the Pacific I would think?

Good Luck getting out of the East either way.....

Why do you keep talking about the Leafs though? That's one of 4 teams in a bracket.

Do you think the Leafs are the strongest team in their bracket? They're the third seed (out of four) in their bracket. The Atlantic is clearly a tougher bracket than the Pacific - so it's not a very strong comparison.

The Metro is more debateable but the two top teams in the Metro are also stronger than the Pacific which makes it a harder bracket to win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad