Confirmed with Link: The "We got Karlsson!" all-day, all-night, party all the time thread (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
Let's be fair. A lot of Sens fans came in here thinking to Join us because they were mad at Karlsson being traded.

Within a week, they were like "Jeez, I thought the sens board was bad for doom and gloom, take it easy on blaming Karlsson guys". Not surprisingly since we do historically have a lot of "Glass is half empty" posters here who hate on everyone except their personal favorites. The amount of "OMG WE LOST THE TRADE" talk has been staggering before the 10 game mark. Give the man time.

Christ we had one poster screaming at the top of their lungs not to extend Evander Kane because of his history of abusing women(Which courts have basically proven were lies). That poster despite him being cleared still drove conversations about his "Ego" to the point where it is basically an inside joke on the Sharks section now to make comments on Kane's ego and Selfishness on goals and assists.

Was this poster who, based on looking at Kane's Instagram photos, concluded he was slacking all summer?

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
No, I don't see a single link posted from you revealing any information what you have drawn your conclusions from. In other words, from what did you draw your conclusions that Karlsson is a somewhat insignicant player when he faces strong teams? Again, you mentioned you wanted to look at Karlsson objectively. So share your information. We have already heard your conclusions. If you have already posted links to the source you've retrieved your information from, I apologize, but I'm a buffoon who cannot find it. Also, what is the sample of your conclusion? What time scale? Can you at least answer that?

Nope, not going to do your homework for you. If you aren't using advanced stats sites and can't look up exactly what I said for veracity, then that's on you. And it makes you not really worth engaging with.

What I love about watching Karlsson that none of our other Dmen have the ability to do is even when he makes a dangerous pinch and gets beat he is able to turn on the jets and track the puck carrier down with ease. It’s so awesome to watch.

he doesn't make many unrecoverably dangerous pinches. well maybe he does but he makes the play.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Karlsson cannot pivot very well anymore sadly.

lol! You Ottawa people are hilarious. Watching him "pivot" and change direction to keep up with Barzal and a couple other shifty speedsters so far this season made me think there not even Vlassic is as agile as he is defensively. Pretty sure he's the best skater on the Sharks. I think some of you Ottawa posters just want to see a diminished player or make silly comments like this to make your selves feel better. I've been skating most of my life and the edge work he's shown so far this season is easily top 5% of skaters in the NHL IMO. Reminds me of Coffey when he turns on the jets but Karlsson is more shifty at full speed. The idea that he "cannot pivot well anymore" is utterly ridiculous.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
lol! You Ottawa people are hilarious.

The idea that he "cannot pivot well anymore" is utterly ridiculous.

I think some of you Ottawa posters just want to see a diminished player or make silly comments like this to make your selves feel better.

We've been talking about it for years since the Cooke slice - it's not since the trade.

Just do a search on "pivot" and "Karlsson" and you'll find tons of posts dating back years.

This one is from 2013:

He still can't pivot. I did notice an improvement in his speed, and he caught up to a couple of players after turnovers. But yeah, he is a pale shadow of himself. He is resorting to guessing which way the forward he is covering will turn along the boards instead of being able to quickly react.

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/will-karlsson-ever-be-the-same.1425655/page-9

He can't pivot to skate forward very smoothly. That's all. Everything else in his skating toolbox has recovered and is pretty much terrific.

Next time someone goes outside on him by the blueline watch him back off and turn to skate forwards. There's an awkward little step before he accelerates.

I can't speak for anyone else but of course I want him to succeed in San Jose if only to prove that we weren't suffering from a collective delusion that he's a superstar and franchise player.

But it also means that we know a hell of a lot more about Erik Karlsson than you do. We watched him intensely for 8 seasons.

Last edited:

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
We've been talking about it for years since the Cooke slice - it's not since the trade.

Just do a search on "pivot" and "Karlsson" and you'll find tons of posts dating back years.

This one is from 2013:

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/will-karlsson-ever-be-the-same.1425655/page-9

He can't pivot to skate forward very smoothly. That's all. Everything else in his skating toolbox has recovered and is pretty much terrific.

Next time someone goes outside on him by the blueline watch him back off and turn to skate forwards. There's an awkward little step before he accelerates.

I can't speak for anyone else but of course I want him to succeed in San Jose if only to prove that we weren't suffering from a collective delusion that he's a superstar and franchise player.

But it also means that we know a hell of a lot more about Erik Karlsson than you do. We watched him intensely for 8 seasons.

Even if that were true, his agility on the ice is currently top 5% and no one is beating him wide. I don't care if you guys have been watching him for 8 years. I've been skating and watching skaters for nearly 40 years. Karlsson isn't the first elite skater to ever play hockey...o_O

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Even if that were true, his agility on the ice is currently top 5% and no one is beating him wide. I don't care if you guys have been watching him for 8 years. I've been skating and watching skaters for nearly 40 years. Karlsson isn't the first elite skater to ever play hockey...o_O

It's his only skating weakness tbh.

Reactions: NyQuil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

I've also been skating for almost 40 years. But yes, overall he's an elite skater.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
I mean, I appreciate the input, but he's still Eric Karlsson ffs.

People looking for reasons/excuses for why Karlsson isn't good anymore or something are grasping at straws. He's still good, whatever is going on write now will pass. This is not some flash in the pan rookie who had a hot season and then their career died. This is probably the best defenseman on the planet, and one of the best to ever play the game. His adjustment period has been a bit rough, big freaking deal. I'd sign him to a $11m deal tomorrow if I could, I have absolutely zero concerns about Karlsson.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
lol! You Ottawa people are hilarious. Watching him "pivot" and change direction to keep up with Barzal and a couple other shifty speedsters so far this season made me think there not even Vlassic is as agile as he is defensively. Pretty sure he's the best skater on the Sharks. I think some of you Ottawa posters just want to see a diminished player or make silly comments like this to make your selves feel better. I've been skating most of my life and the edge work he's shown so far this season is easily top 5% of skaters in the NHL IMO. Reminds me of Coffey when he turns on the jets but Karlsson is more shifty at full speed. The idea that he "cannot pivot well anymore" is utterly ridiculous.

His skating and pivoting is not what it was pre Cooke. He has even admitted this himself.

Reactions: tellermine

CHALUPA

Oct 9, 2008
Stockton, CA

Dude, that's not true. He's been getting beat wide relatively often this year. It seems like he's shored it up the last couple games, but he had given up some big scoring chances because of it. Other than that, his skating has been mesmerizing.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I thought he seemed little slow in two games I saw.

Could it be just early season or did that injury make it?

There was a visible decline after the Cooke injury but that was way back in February of 2013.

Since then, he's still produced and played at a very elite level, including a Norris in 2015. The most obvious result of that injury was the pivot thing that we're discussing.

The more recent injury was the surgery on his ankle which took place before last season where they removed part of his ankle.

"I wouldn't call it pain," Karlsson said. "I wouldn't say that it feels normal, but there's no sharpness or anything that's going to affect me moving forward. I tried to explain it but, it's hard to truly say exactly what is different. It feels like I have a leather piece in my one ankle, and you can't really move it. It's going to take some getting used to."

It's hard to tell what the impact of this is because he missed a lot of off-season training last year (though he doesn't train all that much - just bulks up) and he's on a new team this year.

I agree with the prevailing opinion in here that he's still adjusting and his best hockey with the Sharks will be imminent.

He's incredibly good and he's going to put up a jaw-dropping game that will silence the worriers.

The vast majority of Sens fans wanted Melnyk to throw tons of money at him to keep him.

Last edited:
Reactions: crossbownerf

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Nope, not going to do your homework for you. If you aren't using advanced stats sites and can't look up exactly what I said for veracity, then that's on you. And it makes you not really worth engaging with.

he doesn't make many unrecoverably dangerous pinches. well maybe he does but he makes the play.

Karlsson has the best CF and xGF differential on the Sharks and the best CF% and xGF% of any Sharks defenseman.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Nobody wants to trade him. Senators fans are in here talking about us trading him because it makes them feel better.

If you're referring to my post, I don't think he is going to be dealt from San Jose. That doesn't disqualify me from being able to comment on how good the trade is for San Jose because it'd be very easy for them to recoup a big chunk of the value they gave up in a worst case scenario. (That again, I don't at all think is even remotely likely,)

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Dude, that's not true. He's been getting beat wide relatively often this year. It seems like he's shored it up the last couple games, but he had given up some big scoring chances because of it. Other than that, his skating has been mesmerizing.

You mean when they said he was sick? Apparently there was a flu going thru the team a week or so ago. Other than that it's just looked like an adjustment to a new team and system to me.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
His skating and pivoting is not what it was pre Cooke. He has even admitted this himself.

Except that is what I had issue. Please read the previous before interjecting... The other poster said this:
"Karlsson cannot pivot very well anymore sadly."

This makes it sound like he's washed up which frankly is just bitterman ottawa fan trying to make himself feel better. On a scale of 1 to 100, 100 being his play prior to injury, he's still at 97 or 98% which still puts him in the top 5% of NHL defenseman as far as agility and speed. Frankly I think it's all BS since his transition from backward to forward has looked pretty great especially in the last few games when he's launched end to end on a few rushes. I think some Ottawa fans are just manufacturing stuff to make themsleves feel better. As far as searching the forum for posts as proof... Yeah, I'll pass. The forum is full of endless posts about nothing. You can go search around last playoffs and find a shit ton of posts about how Eric Fehr can't play center despite all the actually footage of him doing exactly that very well.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Karlsson’s minuses are mostly due to bad luck but it is pretty hilarious that he just keeps racking them up and he does usually look bad in the process.

I think he is a little hesitant on offense and some of our players clearly aren’t ready for his insane passes. I specifically remember one hard one-time pass from Karlsson that the recipient was clearly not ready for. He also doesn’t have all that much confidence in his shooting right now but that will come with time.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Karlsson’s minuses are mostly due to bad luck but it is pretty hilarious that he just keeps racking them up and he does usually look bad in the process.

I think he is a little hesitant on offense and some of our players clearly aren’t ready for his insane passes. I specifically remember one hard one-time pass from Karlsson that the recipient was clearly not ready for. He also doesn’t have all that much confidence in his shooting right now but that will come with time.

I think he learned from the Quenneville school of "if you don't pass hard, don't pass at all" lol

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
So Karlsson has more SOG than Burns so far this season but 0 goals. Career shooting %'s for them are 6.7 and 7.1 respectively. Karlsson has 0 goals and Burns has 3 so far. I am expecting this to settle down as the season goes on as well.

Reactions: Sandisfan

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Disregarding +/-, which in most cases is a meaningless stat, how would you rate Karlsson so far this season - on a scale of 1-10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad