Barrie
-------------
Mississauga
North Bay
Oshawa
-------------
Peterborough
Niagara

My bold prediction is that Brantford has a strong first half of the season and they decide to buy at the deadline for a few reasons: weak eastern conference, too many teams aligning to be strong in 24-25, new fanbase.

Where exactly North Bay & Peterborough finish will depend on when they sell.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Here's my best guess as of right now:

Sudbury
-------------
Brantford*
Ottawa
Kingston
Barrie
-------------
Mississauga
North Bay
Oshawa
-------------
Peterborough
Niagara

My bold prediction is that Brantford has a strong first half of the season and they decide to buy at the deadline for a few reasons: weak eastern conference, too many teams aligning to be strong in 24-25, new fanbase.

Where exactly North Bay & Peterborough finish will depend on when they sell.
I agree that currently the eastern conference appears weak, and many teams align to be strong 2024-25 and exceptionally strong 2025-26.
That, along with NB already having moved its top two picks from the ‘21 draft are reasons I believe NB rebuilds 2024-25. I just don’t see the Battalion risking a prolonged period of ticket sales < 2500 when they could possibly roster 3 of Arnsby, Christopolous, Ertel, & Zito as OAs and possibly the best 2004 born class in the conference. The Battalion have 8 signed 2006 born; and unless Fantili shows, the Battalion will have a full compliment of draft picks. They do not ‘need’ to be sellers.

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The Eastern Conference will be a dog and pony show. Too many teams on the verge of being good but who knows which ones will actually emerge this season (a year early). Which ones will prioritize next year over this coming year? Will any teams believe in themselves and not sell and watch others around them sell which will artificially buoy those teams in the standings?

At some point the teams that take themselves seriously this season will emerge. Until then, it will be very difficult to predict what will happen.

I think we can be reasonably certain Peterborough will finish out of the playoffs. I think Niagara will be the other team out of the playoffs. The Petes may manage to piece together enough cheddar up through the deadline to potentially make it to the playoffs but I don’t think the supporting cast around the players they will likely trade are strong enough to make that happen. Niagara is a mess At the management level. I have zero faith in that management teams ability to make strong decisions.

Kingston may be the team that emerges. They did try to host the Memorial Cup. They did manage to squirrel away some trade pieces. They sold off effectively last season. Missy may be a team that arrives on the scene a year early As well. Strong coaching and management. Ottawa has a strong back end and scoring on the wings. Will they make a mild investment up the middle? Sudbury returns a strong club but will they make a push and risk success in future years? Years that could financially carry that club? I’m not sure the priority for Sudbury is to win a Championship. I think their priority is to maintain competitiveness and sell regular season tickets and a round or two in the playoffs year over year.

Way too many variables.

Reactions: frontsfan67

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The wolves objective has been established, contend now. There are potential stumbling blocks though imo. One is the wolves’ GM choking on the price since he has previously placed too high of a value on his own players. The 2nd issue may be the same as Barrie has had recently. It does not matter how many disposable assets there are if the MacTavish and Xhekaj types may prefer Saginaw, Guelph, London …

Reactions: howlman

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The wolves objective has been established, contend now. There are potential stumbling blocks though imo. One is the wolves’ GM choking on the price since he has previously placed too high of a value on his own players. The 2nd issue may be the same as Barrie has had recently. It does not matter how many disposable assets there are if the MacTavish and Xhekaj types may prefer Saginaw, Guelph, London …

That can work both ways. If he overvalues his own players, he likely overvalues the players he brings in so he may not have an issue adding players. More likely to pay a higher price.

NorthernBridge7

Dec 26, 2019
Ontario, Canada
I agree that currently the eastern conference appears weak, and many teams align to be strong 2024-25 and exceptionally strong 2025-26.
That, along with NB already having moved its top two picks from the ‘21 draft are reasons I believe NB rebuilds 2024-25. I just don’t see the Battalion risking a prolonged period of ticket sales < 2500 when they could possibly roster 3 of Arnsby, Christopolous, Ertel, & Zito as OAs and possibly the best 2004 born class in the conference. The Battalion have 8 signed 2006 born; and unless Fantili shows, the Battalion will have a full compliment of draft picks. They do not ‘need’ to be sellers.
I agree about NB. When I was looking at rosters & making my list I initially had them 2nd behind Sudbury. When I looked at the draft pick database their cupboard is completely empty so they can't really make any big moves - and if they go-for-it for a 3rd consecutive year they'll be awful for 4 years straight. However, I didn't factor in the Fantilli trade & I believe there would be a 2nd, 2nd, & 6th added to their bank for this. If they are to sell, as many believe they will, they could turn around and be competitive again as soon as next season (similar to how Hamilton & Mississauga are entering this season). This second option may be better for their ticket sales in the following years.

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
I’d just like to point out (in a friendly manner) that standings are fun to predict but……

For 2022-23 most fans picked my Peterborough Petes to finish middle of the pack or lower and we all know how that ended

I can’t wait for the new season to start -I am so over the Blue Jays!

three dog night

May 3, 2014
I’d just like to point out (in a friendly manner) that standings are fun to predict but……

For 2022-23 most fans picked my Peterborough Petes to finish middle of the pack or lower and we all know how that ended

The Jays are thirteen games over 500 and are in a playoff spot.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van

1) BS people had them picked for middle of the pack. Most everybody thought they’d finish 1 or 2 in the east. 3rd at worst.

2) They DID finish the regular season middle of the pack. They got their stuff together when the playoffs started and finished where a lot of people thought they would.

Reactions: NorthernBridge7

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

The Petes finished a perfectly middling 10th. I do think the majority had picked the Petes as a top two seed in the eastern conference though.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I agree about NB. When I was looking at rosters & making my list I initially had them 2nd behind Sudbury. When I looked at the draft pick database their cupboard is completely empty so they can't really make any big moves - and if they go-for-it for a 3rd consecutive year they'll be awful for 4 years straight. However, I didn't factor in the Fantilli trade & I believe there would be a 2nd, 2nd, & 6th added to their bank for this. If they are to sell, as many believe they will, they could turn around and be competitive again as soon as next season (similar to how Hamilton & Mississauga are entering this season). This second option may be better for their ticket sales in the following years.
Many think NB should do as Miss did last season. If NB is in 5th with little to no disposable picks as Miss was at the last deadline, I’d say that is the best option too.

But there are a few things I cannot agree with right now.
One is I cannot see the Steelheads rise above middle of the pack starting with 16 & 17 yr old goalies in a near 50/50 timeshare behind a less than impressive OA group and no 19 yr old all-stars.
No matter what NB does this season, 2024-25 appears to be a write-off. They have already moved their first two picked ‘05 born and will likely enter the 2024-25 with zero 2004-05 born NHL draft picks.
And NB does not have a nearly empty draft cupboard. ((Worst)) case scenario is Fantili and Zito do not play in the OHL this season. Though all of the picks would not be immediately disposable, NB would posses 3-2nds, 4-3rds, 4-4ths, 7-5ths, 8-6ths from 2024-2027.

NorthernBridge7

Dec 26, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Many think NB should do as Miss did last season. If NB is in 5th with little to no disposable picks as Miss was at the last deadline, I’d say that is the best option too.

But there are a few things I cannot agree with right now.
One is I cannot see the Steelheads rise above middle of the pack starting with 16 & 17 yr old goalies in a near 50/50 timeshare behind a less than impressive OA group and no 19 yr old all-stars.
No matter what NB does this season, 2024-25 appears to be a write-off. They have already moved their first two picked ‘05 born and will likely enter the 2024-25 with zero 2004-05 born NHL draft picks.
And NB does not have a nearly empty draft cupboard. ((Worst)) case scenario is Fantili and Zito do not play in the OHL this season. Though all of the picks would not be immediately disposable, NB would posses 3-2nds, 4-3rds, 4-4ths, 7-5ths, 8-6ths from 2024-2027.
That's more draft picks than I thought they had. It will be interesting to see which route they take.

I was probably too generous when I said "competitive" - I meant to say they would be out of the basement (i.e. missing playoffs) as soon as next season and could be in the 5-7 range as long as they get quality 16 & 17 year olds in deals the same way HAM & MIS did.

You have me convinced right now that they may be better off going for it one more time with their core.

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
That's more draft picks than I thought they had. It will be interesting to see which route they take.

I was probably too generous when I said "competitive" - I meant to say they would be out of the basement (i.e. missing playoffs) as soon as next season and could be in the 5-7 range as long as they get quality 16 & 17 year olds in deals the same way HAM & MIS did.

You have me convinced right now that they may be better off going for it one more time with their core.
At least not pull the plug on the season until if/when 2-3 teams add more than the team can contend with

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
i find it funny that Erie, who is hosting the M CUP, is listed as a mid-pack team, and one of the teams not chosen is listed as a top team.

There is always a team that the players come ut and play higher than we thought Ottawa was an example of that.

Ottawa
Kingston
Barrie
Mississauga
Oshawa
Sudbury
Brantford
North Bay
Peterborough
Niagara

Kingston is an enigma in that no one knows if the coaching can develop the players and make them a top team.

Ottawa has what I think is the best defence 4 and 2 goalies that are rock solid. The challenge for them is finding the centers. Also, as OMG and others have stated, it might be a year to recoup draft picks like Hamilton did last year.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
i find it funny that Erie, who is hosting the M CUP, is listed as a mid-pack team, and one of the teams not chosen is listed as a top team.

There is always a team that the players come ut and play higher than we thought Ottawa was an example of that.

Ottawa
Kingston
Barrie
Mississauga
Oshawa
Sudbury
Brantford
North Bay
Peterborough
Niagara

Kingston is an enigma in that no one knows if the coaching can develop the players and make them a top team.

Ottawa has what I think is the best defence 4 and 2 goalies that are rock solid. The challenge for them is finding the centers. Also, as OMG and others have stated, it might be a year to recoup draft picks like Hamilton did last year.
Saginaw is hosting the Memorial Cup.

Reactions: frontsfan67 and LDN

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Ottawa
Kingston
Barrie
Mississauga
Oshawa
Sudbury
Brantford
North Bay
Peterborough
Niagara

The ‘67s have been hot out of the gate both years Cameron has been the coach. I think we can expect the ‘67s to be ready to start again this season.
Ottawa might have the most promising back end. MacKenzie had an outstanding season as an 18 yr old goalie, but it is a year or two premature to say the ‘67s D is top 4-5, never mind best imo.

Last edited:

GoKnightsGo44

Aug 31, 2006
I will bite;

Saginaw
London
Owen Sound
Guelph
Soo
Sarnia
Flint
Windsor
Erie
Kitchener

Ottawa
Sudbury
Kingston
Mississauga
Oshawa
Branford
Peterborough
Barrie
North Bay
Niagara

Should be an interesting finish in the west this year with some heavy weights and a bunch of white towels.

The east was way more parity this year, anyone’s bets.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I have proven unable to come close to predicting exact finish when waiting until opening night. So I group teams in tiers.

Guelph
Saginaw, OS, London
SSM, Erie, Flint
Windsor, Kitchener, Sarnia

Sudbury, NB
Kingston, Ottawa, Barrie, Brantford
Mississauga
Oshawa, Peterborough, Niagara

• Wow
Reactions: LDN

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The ‘67s have been hot out of the gate both years Cameron has been the coach. I think we can expect the ‘67s to be ready to start again this season.
Ottawa might have the most promising back end. MacKenzie had an outstanding season as an 18 yr old goalie, but it is a year or two premature to say the ‘67s D is top 4-5, never mind best imo.

It depends which way Ottawa goes. IF they try to compete, they likely let HB go Defected and trade his rights. Then it comes down to whether Mews can run a successful Powerplay. If he can, and the 67’s keep their players, Ottawa will have a very strong back end.

The issue is I don’t see that happening. I see Smyth and maybe Sirman traded to make room for HB and Dietsch. That means their defence gets much younger and far less experienced. Mews has a lot of talent but his talent is still immature. I think he will need the full season this year to hone his game. Marrelli, on the other hand, looked crazy good in the playoffs last year. For the type of game he plays, he is ready to shine. I think he may be one of the bigger risers this year if he comes in a couple inches taller at 6’0”.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
It depends which way Ottawa goes. IF they try to compete, they likely let HB go Defected and trade his rights. Then it comes down to whether Mews can run a successful Powerplay. If he can, and the 67’s keep their players, Ottawa will have a very strong back end.

The issue is I don’t see that happening. I see Smyth and maybe Sirman traded to make room for HB and Dietsch. That means their defence gets much younger and far less experienced. Mews has a lot of talent but his talent is still immature. I think he will need the full season this year to hone his game. Marrelli, on the other hand, looked crazy good in the playoffs last year. For the type of game he plays, he is ready to shine. I think he may be one of the bigger risers this year if he comes in a couple inches taller at 6’0”.
Yeah, Marelli & Mews are very good. So are Parekh, Christiforo, Von Richter, …and especially Dickinson. It seems a great year for D and goalies.
But best D as stated by Beast, the ‘67s are not there yet. Marelli just won’t equal Punnet as an example.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00