GDT: the Washington Stanley Cup Champions @ the Pittsburgh Not-Stanley Cup Champions | 10/4/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I don't really see it from Bowey so far. He's had the worst possession stats through two games despite pretty limited TOI. It's not Orpik weighing him down...he still doesn't have the toolbox/composure. Mainly it comes down to whether he's competitive with Djoos to stay in the lineup and I don't think it's at all close. Thus far I don't think there's been very strong internal competition but that could change if they consider some of their alternatives. My main concern with a Siegenthaler call-up is that it may knock Djoos down since Orpik/Siegenthaler doesn't figure to be a fit. Overall I think that's the better play nonetheless, even if it may not work once Kempny returns. Walker has been fine but 18/65 haven't been and Connolly hasn't done much with a great opportunity. I'd give Jaskin a shot over one of 18/65 and see whether he can bring more of an edge.

They've going to need a Plan B for when Turbo Mode isn't tenable. I like Turbo Mode. It's exciting and includes some heady team play but I'm not sure it's all that sustainable this season. They rightly have confidence in their skill level and persistence but need to guard against that becoming a defensive complacency and a belief that they can just out-score mistakes. Whether it's the schedule, flat legs or just not really feeling it, they're going to need a slower, more methodical and defensively-responsible approach. This sort of looseness/sloppiness is common early on but they're going to need to manage risk better. PIT has a lot of pride and are one of the more dangerous teams so it's a good early lesson. Monitoring their energy level and strategizing around that at times is IMO one of the big storylines for the regular season.

I liked Bowey against the Bruins, nothing special but solid performance for a guy who is clearly #6.

He wasn't really good against the Penguins though... but they do that to lot of D's. One thing what i don't like is how incredibly easy he is to go around with speed. He gets consistently walked when there someone with even decent wheels. Even more often than Orpik.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Bowey has been fine in 2 games. Being a hockey fan requires an awful lot of patience. We all know it, but we just don't the time to live it.

I will say this. Some dumb desperate GM may come calling under my old theory... target the kids stuck behind the vets on cup winning teams. That would be Bowey. Our problem is that we covet RH shot offensive D. We always have. All our offense comes from that right side. After all these years of targeting offensive right side and D only left sides, its not a coincidence.

Is Hobbs enough long term depth if we sell Maddy? We all know, it will take a long time to answer that.

What's his nickname to teammates anyways

Last edited:

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Bowey played 11 minutes last night. The coaches must not be seeing what you are.
That's not uncommon for a 3rd pairing dman that plays little on special teams. He wasnt great lastnight. I'm more concerned with the play of Niskenen and Orlov. They are supposed to be our top pair but they aren't playing like it.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Bowey played 11 minutes last night. The coaches must not be seeing what you are.

I don’t think that is fair. Bowey and Orpik have played basically an identical amount at even strength so far this year. There has been a decent amount of man up/down situations so far and Bowey plays neither for the most part.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Ugh you got to be kidding me.

How are those goals his fault? The PK falls apart in Goal 2 leaving Hornqvist wide open in the Oshie -spot. If Holtby stays deep in his net it greatly reduces his chances of making the save on the initial shot. Obviously in this case it backfires because one of the Capitals partially blocks the shot right to Guentzel, bad luck. It's ridiculous to start suggesting that goalies should start anticipating shots getting whiffed/partially blocked when a guy taking a shot from the slot.

On the fifth goal you propably missed the Brassard deflecting that initial shot right in front of Holtby... next to impossible to contain the rebound like that.

On the 6th goal his PK let him down. Failed clearance and complete breakdown which lead to Crosby-Malkin-Guentzel 3-on-1. Malkin is never going to miss from that pass and no goalie in the league today would have gotten that so your expectations are pretty unrealistic here. Dominik Hasek on a good day may have saved that.

It wasn't a good game from Holtby for sure, but his defense left him out to dry constantly. Most of these are not even talked about since Holtby bailed them out (saves on Guentzel and Crosby).
I completely agree. There wasnt a lot Holtby could have done.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I don’t think that is fair. Bowey and Orpik have played basically an identical amount at even strength so far this year. There has been a decent amount of man up/down situations so far and Bowey plays neither for the most part.
txpd just has a hate on for Bowey. He would rather risk losing him on waivers then developing the player.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Regarding the defense, to my eyes the pairing that was in trouble most often (and per 60) against Pens was Orlov-Niskanen, by a mile. And while Orlov looked subpar defensively (which happens sometimes), Niskanen looked downright terrible by his own (very high) standards.

Now, that's not a worry, IMO, because we know they can/should be excellent once they get back on track. However, if some of your top veterans just struggled, then I think it may be a bit premature to rag on a rookie like Bowey using these last two games as evidence.

To my eyes, Bowey has played better, against better competition, than in the preseason. That's improvement, at least. Sure, maybe he won't make it, but so far I see no reason to stop playing him -- let's see what he's got.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I completely agree. There wasnt a lot Holtby could have done.

He gave up SEVEN, there was plenty he could have done. I'm not saying the defense wasn't also to blame, that the defense play well and Holtby was all soft, but he did let in 3 or 4 that I promise you he would have liked to have back. I pointed out the flaws in his technique in the prior post, so yes, there was things he could have done. If he was on top of his game, the Caps give up 3, maybe 4. So on 3 or 4 of the goals there was nothing he could have done. But he gave up SEVEN!

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
He gave up SEVEN, there was plenty he could have done. I'm not saying the defense wasn't also to blame, that the defense play well and Holtby was all soft, but he did let in 3 or 4 that I promise you he would have liked to have back. I pointed out the flaws in his technique in the prior post, so yes, there was things he could have done. If he was on top of his game, the Caps give up 3, maybe 4. So on 3 or 4 of the goals there was nothing he could have done. But he gave up SEVEN!
I dont think anyone here said Holtby played great but he didnt loose that game for us. The team hung him out to dry and that is a fact.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Regarding the defense, to my eyes the pairing that was in trouble most often (and per 60) against Pens was Orlov-Niskanen, by a mile. And while Orlov looked subpar defensively (which happens sometimes), Niskanen looked downright terrible by his own (very high) standards.

Now, that's not a worry, IMO, because we know they can/should be excellent once they get back on track. However, if some of your top veterans just struggled, then I think it may be a bit premature to rag on a rookie like Bowey using these last two games as evidence.

To my eyes, Bowey has played better, against better competition, than in the preseason. That's improvement, at least. Sure, maybe he won't make it, but so far I see no reason to stop playing him -- let's see what he's got.
I was saying the same thing. But a couple guys here are slamming Bowey instead.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006

Pitt is probably the hardest team for him to face in the east. Low TOI seems like a damn smart move by Reirden to ease him in to start the year. Were there a lot of PPs?

He didn't embarrass himself when really with a 7-6 there were plenty of gaffes to go around. I like it low TOI for him right now. TR made sure he didn''t schooled by Pitt in game 2 and get his confidence shot.

11 minutes, even invisible steven

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
That's not uncommon for a 3rd pairing dman that plays little on special teams. He wasnt great lastnight. I'm more concerned with the play of Niskenen and Orlov. They are supposed to be our top pair but they aren't playing like it.

It was one game bud— of a B2B. They brought it in the loffs and they carry a heavy heavy workload.

Niskanen is the least of our long term worries and Orlov plays a risk/reward type game. We need to embrace that. I have.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
It was one game bud— of a B2B. They brought it in the loffs and they carry a heavy heavy workload.

Niskanen is the least of our long term worries and Orlov plays a risk/reward type game. We need to embrace that. I have.
You guys are way too high on Niskanen. He has a lot of mental lapses for a supposed shutdown guy. And he might be the worst dman we have for making bad pinches. It seems everytime he pinches he gets caught. And this isn't something new. He had some bad stretches during last season as well.
Niskanen is OK but he isn't the defence man you think he is.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Pitt is probably the hardest team for him to face in the east. Low TOI seems like a damn smart move by Reirden to ease him in to start the year.

You mean running a short bench on the back end of a back to back when you are behind in the 3rd period?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
You mean running a short bench on the back end of a back to back when you are behind in the 3rd period?

Yep. But Orlov and Nisky were suspect it seems. He could have given him a few more minutes. As long as he gets double digits that is all he needs right now.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
You guys are way too high on Niskanen. He has a lot of mental lapses for a supposed shutdown guy. And he might be the worst dman we have for making bad pinches. It seems everytime he pinches he gets caught. And this isn't something new. He had some bad stretches during last season as well.
Unpopular opinion of the night goes toooooooo....

Reactions: calicapsfan

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Just finished to watch the game. A little bit more disappointed with the result. With a little bit of luck, the game could be over in the 1st period. Kuzya and Ovi with the posts, Nicky with his bh shot.
and the bs call for an OT

Reactions: Devil Dancer

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
Game should not have happened for a banner raising team having to travel for the next night. Stupid league.

I’m not worried about anyone at this stage.
Pluses:
Kuzy
Walker
Dowd
Orpik
Vrana
Osh babe

Hard following from my holiday at the moment.
Gah I love the caps. Still hate losing though.

Reactions: RandyHolt

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Unpopular opinion of the night goes toooooooo....
Prove me wrong. Niskanen is probably our most over rated player. A lot of people consider him a top shutdown guy. He isnt even close to one of the best defensive dmen in the league. He might not even be the best on our team.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Prove me wrong. Niskanen is probably our most over rated player. A lot of people consider him a top shutdown guy. He isnt even close to one of the best defensive dmen in the league. He might not even be the best on our team.

Is there any way to change your mind or prove you wrong? About anything? You don't believe in advanced stats and you think everyone here is beneath you in hockey knowledge.

So how exactly does someone "prove you wrong"?

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

He’s a 5.7m defenseman, and a top pair on a Cup team. He’s exactly what I think he is, and he’s slotted accordingly in the team’s structure.

I think you expect too much. I honestly don’t know what you think he should be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia