GDT: the Washington Stanley Cup Champions @ the Pittsburgh Not-Stanley Cup Champions | 10/4/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
In a cap world, that’s fine. We can’t have him playing like a 8-9m player. We couldn’t afford it.

You loved Trotz. Trotz loved Niskanen. If the coach you love, loves a player. Well....then what?
Niskanen was fine a couple years ago. His play has tailed off since then.
I gotta be honest I really dont understand why you guys so upset for me calling out Niskanen. Come on guys he played like a rookie last game. And the problem is that it us happening too often. He had a lot of stinkers last season too. I did say he was a top 60 dman and said he was better than average. Do you guys think he is better than that? You guys act as if he is the best dman in the league. Give your head a shake guys. He is only our 3rd best dman. Wtf is with you guys all protecting Niskanen. Instead you guys jump all over Bowey who is still young and learning to play the position at an NHL level. Ya he has had his struggles. Funny thing is he is playing as good or better than Niskanen so far. You guys dump on the kid and give the so called veteran shutdown guy a free pass. Unbelievable.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
You guys act as if he is the best dman in the league. Give your head a shake guys.
Marvelous straw man you have here. Him being arguably their third best defenseman is more of a statement as to the quality of that group (at least at the top).

The Caps don't necessarily need him to be an elite guy, nor does anyone seriously consider him a Norris candidate. He just needs to be a #2 and generally he is (and not THAT #2). I've been underwhelmed by his offense at times and his shot and ability to find shooting lanes in particular but I cut him some slack defensively because he was often used in primary shutdown roles. That type of usage isn't always going to be perfect, particularly against the elite of the elite. It just needs to be good enough and I think the results pretty much speak for themselves.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Niskanen was fine a couple years ago. His play has tailed off since then.
I gotta be honest I really dont understand why you guys so upset for me calling out Niskanen. Come on guys he played like a rookie last game. And the problem is that it us happening too often. He had a lot of stinkers last season too. I did say he was a top 60 dman and said he was better than average. Do you guys think he is better than that? You guys act as if he is the best dman in the league. Give your head a shake guys. He is only our 3rd best dman. Wtf is with you guys all protecting Niskanen. Instead you guys jump all over Bowey who is still young and learning to play the position at an NHL level. Ya he has had his struggles. Funny thing is he is playing as good or better than Niskanen so far. You guys dump on the kid and give the so called veteran shutdown guy a free pass. Unbelievable.

My issue is the inconsistency you are showing with the players. It’s ok for Holtby or Bowey or Burakovsky to have “bad games”, but it’s not for a guy like Niskanen. It seems like you have a few players you like to flog. Not sure why.

No one is giving Nisky a free pass. But you seem to expect some form of consistent excellence from him. Which people take some umbrage towards.

He’s a very good player. He’s well worth his salary, and he’s a big reason (one of many, but still a big reason) that the team won the Cup and have 2 Pres trophies as well the last 3 years.

Listen bud— I know you aren’t going to change your mind here. I’m not attempting to try. You and I have been able to come to some mutual respect levels here, so I’m not looking to change that. But you wanted to know why people “are upset” about your throwing shade at Nisky. Most of us aren’t upset, we simply don’t agree with your stance.

That’s it. That’s all.

Ok, on the next topic.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
The board always prevails.
2jq6j6.jpg

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad