The Visiting Fan's Guide to Philadelphia; suggested books, publications, DVDs

Yeah the bad area is a ****hole. A ghetto.

I used to stay with my Babcia (grandma) on Highland Ave occasionally. Is this bad??

Haha. Seriously, I'm no expert on the area and I live in California now, but I recall my grandma's living situation being ... interesting. We used to walk to St. Hedwigs to get perogis. Area was pretty rough back then.

Last edited by a moderator:

pandv2000

Oct 15, 2016
Hi we are visiting Philadelphia in March for my husband's 40th. We have tickets for both home games whilst we are visiting but there are also 2 away games that week. We are after some recommendations for somewhere we can go to watch the games. We will have 2 kids with us - ages 13 and 6 so we need somewhere that will be as child friendly as possible. Any suggestions? Also I would appreciate any suggestions for a good birthday meal - somewhere child friendly but special lol! We are staying in the Sofitel if that helps for suggestions close to our hotel.

Thanks in advance

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Hi we are visiting Philadelphia in March for my husband's 40th. We have tickets for both home games whilst we are visiting but there are also 2 away games that week. We are after some recommendations for somewhere we can go to watch the games. We will have 2 kids with us - ages 13 and 6 so we need somewhere that will be as child friendly as possible. Any suggestions? Also I would appreciate any suggestions for a good birthday meal - somewhere child friendly but special lol! We are staying in the Sofitel if that helps for suggestions close to our hotel.

Thanks in advance

There are some suggestions in the first post of this thread which have been updated. A child-friendly locale is open to suggestion but links posted in the first thread can assist if others here don't post options: the official visitors' website to city events is one possibility posted.

pandv2000

Oct 15, 2016
There are some suggestions in the first post of this thread which have been updated. A child-friendly locale is open to suggestion but links posted in the first thread can assist if others here don't post options: the official visitors' website to city events is one possibility posted.

Thank you - it's the child friendly question I'm worried about. I don't want to be frowned upon for bringing kids into a sports bar but at the same time we are on vacation. We aren't going to be getting drunk but others around us might and I don't want it to be inappropriate (what I mean by that is I wouldn't want to spoil others enjoyment of the games by having children present)

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Thank you - it's the child friendly question I'm worried about. I don't want to be frowned upon for bringing kids into a sports bar but at the same time we are on vacation. We aren't going to be getting drunk but others around us might and I don't want it to be inappropriate (what I mean by that is I wouldn't want to spoil others enjoyment of the games by having children present)
I think kids spoiling others' fun is a given unless you can keep them quiet, honestly. So if you can't, I'd just stay out of bars.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004

Understandable, however, I am not sure how many members here have firsthand experience in bringing children to area restaurants and the replies could be minimal.

TripAdvisor.com has options which includes narrowing possibilities by clicking on different desires, including kid or family friendly restaurants. Under "GOOD FOR" near the bottom left, click on the options for kids and families. "ESTABLISHMENT TYPE" near the top left includes "bars and pubs."

The city's official website has the following family-friendly activities, separate from dining options:

and with dining suggestions:

And Xfinity Live has activities for the entire family mostly with a sports theme:

Last edited:

pandv2000

Oct 15, 2016
Understandable, however, I am not sure how many members here have firsthand experience in bringing children to area restaurants and the replies could be minimal.

TripAdvisor.com has options which includes narrowing possibilities by clicking on different desires, including kid or family friendly restaurants. Under "GOOD FOR" near the bottom left, click on the options for kids and families. "ESTABLISHMENT TYPE" near the top left includes "bars and pubs."

The city's official website has the following family-friendly activities, separate from dining options:

and with dining suggestions:

And Xfinity Live has activities for the entire family mostly with a sports theme:

Thanks for your help. Our kids are fairly well behaved but I know that this could still offend some people and whilst we want to enjoy our vacation we also want to respect others who may not appreciate our kids being in tow.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Thanks for your help. Our kids are fairly well behaved but I know that this could still offend some people and whilst we want to enjoy our vacation we also want to respect others who may not appreciate our kids being in tow.

Use your best judgment and if you research the links provided maybe you can call the establishment(s) and gauge their experiences. Some restaurants will have a children's menu but if you want a pub or bar, then maybe a phone call in advance can help soothe your concerns.

Jani8

Apr 8, 2003
Visit site
Hi all,

We're coming to Philly to see the Flyers-Penguins game in March. Are there any sections to avoid as in sh***y viewing experience? We're coming from NY in the morning and have a full day to spend in the city before the game. After the usual tourist sightseeings, "Rocky steps etc", could you recommend a good pre-game bar where you can grab a bite to eat and slam down few beers with fellow hockey fans.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Hi all,

We're coming to Philly to see the Flyers-Penguins game in March. Are there any sections to avoid as in sh***y viewing experience? We're coming from NY in the morning and have a full day to spend in the city before the game. After the usual tourist sightseeings, "Rocky steps etc", could you recommend a good pre-game bar where you can grab a bite to eat and slam down few beers with fellow hockey fans.

About a city block NE of WFC, just off the Parking Lot is XFINITY LIVE! which is the mecca for Sports Fans attending any of the Major Philly Teams and other Events in the Sports Complex... There are numerous Restaurants and bars within the building with all the Drinks and Beer you can ask for, as well as decent food... Once you are parked you can spend all your time there before going to the Center for the Warm-Ups or a few laps around and visits to the shops... There are also various food and drink concessions in WFC and some bars.

If you want to spend more time and roam from the Complex a bit you can visit Chickie's and Pete's Sports Bar about a half mile or so NW from WFC... it is one Restaurant with a few bars and a fine menu for snacking or dinner... Also in that Strip Mall are a few other places to eat... and a fine Pizza Palar, Celebrese's... and Italian Pastry at Termini's.

At every place mentioned above, you will find Fans attending the Games and willing to talk Flyers and other Sports.

Welcome to Philly... I hope you enjoy the Game, City and Fans... Wear your Flyers colors proudly and you will have an easier time schmoozing... assuming that you are a Flyers Fan.

HTH

HereNow16

Oct 18, 2016
Germany
I need to share my excitement because this morning I booked my hockey trip to Philadelphia! :jump: :highclap: :wave:

I'll be there from 2/1/17 till 2/10/17, and I got tickets for all four games during that timespan, and I can't really find words for how excited I am about this! :wave:

I'm sure I'm going to scour this thread for help and information in the future, but I do have one question right away:

The first game against Montreal is on my first full day in Philly. I had planned on buying a jersey directly at WFC before puck drop. But from my current plans I want to check out XFINITY Live before going to WFC, and it would be awesome to already have a jersey for that. So my question is if there is a place other than WFC where I can buy original jerseys once I arrive in Philly?
I don't really want to buy one online because the shipping costs to Germany are always so insanely high, and I'm also not really sure about the size, so I'd really like to do it once I'm there.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Yeah. And the shop inside WFC should be open earlier so you can get a jersey earlier. There are also shops around Philadelphia with jerseys.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Hi all,

Just go to xfinity live or chickie's and pete's. Huge bar. Wall-sized tv. Fans everywhere. Mutiple eating establishments. Although I wouldn't get a cheesesteak from inside Xfinity. You'll want to go to a real place as spoken about elsewhere in the thread.

JCraw1

Jul 22, 2014
Suggestions for two 27 year olds who love to drink alcohol and love food. Also interest in simply cool or possibly old/significant places in downtown Philly area. Dec 3rd-6th.

I think i want to check out the Penitentiary. Also outdoor ice skating. Staying at 100 N 17th street.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Anyone know how frequently trains run on the Broad Street line from AT&T going north? Just realized Temple is at 4 and I can do a tripleheader today with Flyers and Sixers as well.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Penn-Temple at the Liacouras Center. Left the Flyers game in the 3rd to get here and Sixers are next.
Oh, I thought you went for some college hockey.
Suggestions for two 27 year olds who love to drink alcohol and love food. Also interest in simply cool or possibly old/significant places in downtown Philly area. Dec 3rd-6th.

I think i want to check out the Penitentiary. Also outdoor ice skating. Staying at 100 N 17th street.
Check out Capogiro Gelato and go to Barnes Foundation. I think there's an ice rink outside city hall if you and your friend want to go for a romantic skate under pretty lights.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
College club hockey is the best, those guys just kill each other. The hockey there is more fun to watch than the vast majority of NHL games.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004

There are updated suggestions in the first post of this thread that you may find as suitable options.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad