The Visiting Fan's Guide to Philadelphia; suggested books, publications, DVDs

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Where is it okay in Center City to enjoy beers and wear a Devils jersey (read as: touristy sports bars) post-game? (Looking forward to my first visit for the rivalry.)

Honestly man I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you aren't looking for anything crazy nothing crazy is going I happen. There will be hecklers but you will be fine.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Hey all,

I'll be headed to your city for a wedding this weekend. And always had good advice from different HF Boards when traveling.

I arrive tonight around 5, so any good dinner suggestions? I'll be staying at the Loews Hotel downtown.

The wedding is Friday at 5 and I leave early Saturday morning so just limited time to do stuff. I am a big history buff so I definitely want to see Independence Hall, but also can't leave Philly without having a Cheesesteak (I know very touristy). Anything else close by to Independence Hall worth seeing?

Thanks

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Be forewarned. There are two types of cheesesteaks. The trendier ones that'll make you go: "This is nothing to rave about." And the ones that will open up new horizons of joy you never knew were possible. Check the thread. Has tons of suggestions.

You can head to Reading Terminal Market for early day food. I think Bank & Bourbon is near as well.

You can always take a bus from Independence Hall area up to the Philadelphia art museum / Fairmount area. You can check out Terror Behind the Walls at Eastern State Penn. It's pretty amazing. Allow the ghouls to put a scar on your face so they'll grab you and pull you into secret areas. Rocky Statue is up there. Good food on Fairmount, plus the prison itself.

Last edited:

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Be forewarned. There are two types of cheesesteaks. The trendier ones that'll make you go: "This is nothing to rave about." And the ones that will open up new horizons of joy you never knew were possible. Check the thread. Has tons of suggestions.

You can head to Reading Terminal Market for early day food. I think Bank & Bourbon is near as well.

You can always take a bus from Independence Hall area up to the Philadelphia art museum / Fairmount area. You can check out Terror Behind the Walls at Eastern State Penn. It's pretty amazing. Allow the ghouls to put a scar on your face so they'll grab you and pull you into secret areas. Rocky Statue is up there. Good food on Fairmount, plus the prison itself.

Is this scar thing new? I usually go to eastern state maybe every three years so they have enough time to completely redo it rather than the rotation of sections.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Is this scar thing new? I usually go to eastern state maybe every three years so they have enough time to completely redo it rather than the rotation of sections.

I'm not sure if they change it. It is the identifying mark to let the staff know they can touch you, pull you around, etc, after you sign the waiver. You could have it and not get grabbed, but my pal went a week ago and was pulled out of his group and taken to other places (I won't ruin them for you) -- and it happened in all four themed areas he went. He loved it.

rsegrest1

Dec 29, 2015
South Jersey
The wedding is Friday at 5 and I leave early Saturday morning so just limited time to do stuff. I am a big history buff so I definitely want to see Independence Hall, but also can't leave Philly without having a Cheesesteak (I know very touristy). Anything else close by to Independence Hall worth seeing?

John's Roast Pork at Snyder & Weccacoe is my go-to. It's not exactly close to your hotel though. Dinic's at Reading Terminal Market is very good too.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Pretty much anything at the RTM is good to great. If you get to South Philly the Oregon Diner and Tony Luke's are my favorite spots.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Thanks for the suggestions.

We had garbage weather in the midwest on Thursday and my flight was delayed got in really late, so I didn't have a chance to check out a nice dinner spot.

Was very impressed with the Reading Terminal Market, I travel a decent amount and that place is a treasure.

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
Me and my friend booked an apartment in NJ;we are planning to spend most of our time in NY, HOWEVER... We are going to attend the NJD-PHI game. Therefore, in terms of bus (or other convenient/cheap transportation) what are your recommendations of NYC-PHI?

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Me and my friend booked an apartment in NJ;we are planning to spend most of our time in NY, HOWEVER... We are going to attend the NJD-PHI game. Therefore, in terms of bus (or other convenient/cheap transportation) what are your recommendations of NYC-PHI?
The way I go is taking NJT from Penn Station then transferring to SEPTA at Trenton to head to Philly. I get off at Suburban Station and walk to the City Hall stop for the Broad Street line, which takes you right to the sports complex. That would roughly cost about $40 a person. There's also Greyhound which drops you a short walk from City Hall, also MegaBus and Bolt but I really am not familiar with them. Hope that helps!

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I used to travel from Philly to NYC frequently. I did most of what Sabremike did.

Philly (30th Street station) - take the line to Trenton (r2? r6? Septa, I forget). Transfer to Amtrak/NJ Transit in Trenton. Takes you right into NYC (Penn station). That is the cheaper option, with more time tacked on. They usually hold a train to wait for this transfer. You just go up the steps, down the other, and right on to the next train. Stop at a Kiosk if you didn't get both tickets ahead of time.

The quicker route is taking the train straight from 30th street station to Penn station. Quicker, but more pricey.

Any route that gets you to the Broad Street Line works. Broad Street line will take you straight to the stadium.

shipwreck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sep 7, 2011
Texas
I'll be in town for the carnival, and have the Sat free (since there is no home game). My hotel is in the airport area.

I'll have to try to figure out a decent place to catch the away game. I MIGHT go to the downtown area on Sat, if the weather is good. Is there a sports bar there or one close to the airport that would be a good place to catch the game?

The hotel won't have it available.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I was thinking about applying for an internship for Philadelphia Union but I'm not so sure anymore. :laugh:

I can't speak to other methods of getting there, but it is a little outside the city. Driving it has always been fine. It's right off major interstates. You don't venture into Chester. Either way, I've driven through Chester plenty of times to visit a friend living on the other side of it. Always been fine, even late late at night. That just happened to be the quickest way to get back on 322.

IwanttomoveoutWest*

The bad neighborhood thing is overdone and played out.

Every city has **** areas in it and around it.

IwanttomoveoutWest*

What are some cool places to check out in Philly? So far I've only got LOVE Park and Rocky steps planned.

Philly is the history capital of the US, so I would start there. Independence Hall, Liberty Bell, Old City area.

Museum of Art, Barnes, Rodin, Science Museum of Drexel, etc.

Eastern State Penitentiary is pretty dope too.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Philly is the history capital of the US, so I would start there. Independence Hall, Liberty Bell, Old City area.

Museum of Art, Barnes, Rodin, Science Museum of Drexel, etc.

Eastern State Penitentiary is pretty dope too.
Ha, thanks, I'm back already. I saw the Philadelphia Museum of Art, Barnes Foundation and the Mutter Museum, and just roamed the city during the day when I had some time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad