The Visiting Fan's Guide to Philadelphia; suggested books, publications, DVDs

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Going to see a concert at Union Transfer on Friday night...we decided we'd make the most of the night without having the baby and are going to stay at the residence inn near the reading terminal market...Parking is valet $50.

Does anyone know if there is a parking garage nearby?

Yeah there is a parking garage a half a block away from Reading Terminal Market right past Maggiano's and The Melting Pot.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Islanders fan here coming down for Mar 30th game. Best hotel near the arena? Is it walkable to the game?

Thanks!

The only hotel within easy walking distance would be the Courtyard in the Navy Yard. If you're comfortable taking the subway to the game (there's a stop right outside the parking lot), it would open up a lot more options.

rambler725

Sep 12, 2006
Flyers Designated Driver Program

Do the Flyers have a designated Driver Program on Game Day where the person who is the designated driver is offered a free soft drink if so where do you sign up? Thanks!

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Do the Flyers have a designated Driver Program on Game Day where the person who is the designated driver is offered a free soft drink if so where do you sign up? Thanks!

IIRC, a person won tickets to the All-Star Game last year for being an official designated driver, a league-wide promotion and contest. Whether that includes what you asked, perhaps can be answered by contacting the team through the website. A phone number is easily found, too.

https://www.nhl.com/flyers/info/contact-us

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The only hotel within easy walking distance would be the Courtyard in the Navy Yard. If you're comfortable taking the subway to the game (there's a stop right outside the parking lot), it would open up a lot more options.
Is there still the Holiday Inn by the sports complex? If so that would be an option as well.

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
Will be at the have tomorrow. Does the away team ever the ice from the bench? My son loves to fist bump the guys during warm-ups and not every arena is the same.
I saw the Centennial road show is in town. Anything else going on?

30whales

Oct 18, 2011
Visiting Philly

Planning on visiting Philadelphia around the weekend of May 6th and was just curious if you guys have any suggestions on where to stay, places to visit, to eat, best cheesesteak place, etc. Planning on going to a Phillies game so anything great places to go before or after that as well. Really looking for any information that would be helpful to have a great trip in Philly! Thanks ahead of time.

Edit: Thanks for moving to appropriate thread.

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Planning on visiting Philadelphia around the weekend of May 6th and was just curious if you guys have any suggestions on where to stay, places to visit, to eat, best cheesesteak place, etc. Planning on going to a Phillies game so anything great places to go before or after that as well. Really looking for any information that would be helpful to have a great trip in Philly! Thanks ahead of time.

Until others offer opinions, the first post in this thread has been updated periodically with suggestions.

HereNow16

Oct 18, 2016
Germany

Not from Philly myself, but I visited earlier this year. I stayed at The Windsor Suites, mainly because at the time of my booking it was the cheapest option in Center City with good customer ratings, and I only have good things to say about it. Really close to City Hall (less than 5 minute walk), from where you can take the subway to the Sports Complex. I have nothing else to compare it to, though, so there might be other places people with more experience can recommend.

Food-wise, I think I lived off the numerous food carts around the city and Reading Terminal Market. If you want food without sitting down at a restaurant for a longer time, both are great options, Reading Terminal Market especially. (Get an apple fritter at Beiler's Bakery if you're there and thank me later. I'm still looking for a way to get those things to Germany).They close up in the afternoon, though, so it's not an option for the evening.

I got my cheesesteak at Jim's on South Street because I wasn't going to get involved in that whole Pat's vs. Geno's thing. It was really good, and nobody laughed at me when I mentioned going there later on, so I guess that was an acceptable choice by Philly standards.

If you have time to do touristy things, the Rocky steps are a quick, cheap and easy photo-op, and you always meet other touritsts to chat with there. If the weather is great, One Liberty Observation Deck has a great view over the city, but it costs about $20 to go up there.
And the Mütter Museum is great, and I would have missed it if Flyotes hadn't pointed it out to me in this thread.

Phileeguy

Sleep with one eye open tonight, bird.
Oct 7, 2010
Philly
Planning on visiting Philadelphia around the weekend of May 6th...

If you have time to do touristy things, the Rocky steps are a quick, cheap and easy photo-op, and you always meet other touritsts to chat with there.

That's if they're done getting everything from the NFL draft cleared out by then. It's a little over a week away, and they're still setting things up. Granted, taking things down is usually quicker than putting them up, but who knows how much time they'll take.

Also, Jim's on South is a wholly acceptable steak location.

Ernest95

Jul 10, 2015
Philly
I enjoy johns roast porks, cheesteaks, it's probably the best I've had. They're down at Snyder and weccacoe I believe.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Hey folks, I'll be moving to Philly in less than a month. How good is the Rittenhouse neighborhood? Thank you.

Rittenhouse is one of the nicer areas within city limits. If you want an NYC equivalent, I would say it most reminds me most of Brooklyn Heights -- similar character, age range spreads, and single to married ratios.

I lived in NYC previously, so if I can be of specific help with equivalents, feel free to PM me.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Rittenhouse is nice. Sometimes pro-players live there. Basically "in the city." As opposed to places that feel a touch more suburban, like Fairmount, which is more neighborhoody / parky. Near major mass transit hub, interstates, universities, and very near Center City nightlife / food etc.

Last edited:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Thanks guys. I hope that it's in fact Rittenhouse and not an agent trying to pass off a less nice area as Rittenhouse. If it is, wow your rents are cheap. I found a 670 sq ft 1 bedroom apartment for $1,400. It could be twice as much for a smaller place in NYC.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Visit this:

http://www.visitphilly.com/philadelphia-neighborhoods/

There are safe areas everywhere, but, these are the ones I know well:

Center City is safe. I used to live nearby at an apt at 12th and Locust (not my apartment, but staying with buddy and his wife). It is an area with a lot of LGBT support (rainbows on street signs). Very safe.
Fairmount is safe, just don't venture far over Girard. By zoo.
Rittenhouse is safe.
If you keep going west you get into the burbs which are safe, Manayunk, etc.
The east side of west philly close to UPENN / University city is safe
The upcoming parts of Northern Liberties are safe
Old City is safe
South of South is safe for a good while (that means South of South Street, which is a hip area)
Areas around Jefferson Med School are safe
Temple area is not safe
North Philly has a lot of unsafe areas
West Philly can be unsafe
South Philly is pretty safe depending on the neighborhood and being south of Oregon seems pretty good overall (near stadiums).

This is all I can speak to as those are the parts of Philly I know well / have lived there myself / have friends that live there.

Course, it is a city, so, could get mugged anywhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad