The Vincent Lecavalier Thread-Part III: Philly loves dumb contracts (22.5/5, NMC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Would be hilarious if he signs in dallas. I can't wait to read the papers here (they still make those, right?) when that bomb drops.

Dwight

The French Tickler
Jul 8, 2006
West Island
Meh, I'd like to se Vinny here, but he doesn't seem like the type of guy who wants to play in Montreal.

When I heard Dallas was in, I had a feeling he might end up there. We'll see if this ends up being true.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
" Well, you know, I love montreal, but I just felt that a better fit for me and my family would be to move to a city that was the complete and utter opposite of everything Montreal is and/or represents."

rousseau15

Dec 31, 2008
i,too very much want vinny in Montreal .I also believe that bergevin wants vinny .TIME to call in the heavy artillery .Get vinny in a room with ,himself ,bergevin and ,,,,,,jean beliveau.

Godzilla

Jun 7, 2011
Montreal
Well there goes his chances of winning another Stanley Cup, that being said it would certainly be a quiet space for him to play in.

And I truly believe that this is exactly what he is looking for... anonymity in a hockey clueless town so he can do as he pleases once he leaves the rink.

thom

Mar 6, 2012
lecavier was a hell of a player but imagine a decade ago if one were to say St Louis was the better player and is headed to hull.Lecavier has had a very good career but he'-s not a hall of famer.

Analyzer*

LeBrun going on his gut and saying Montreal isn't one of the teams.

If there's a gut to trust, I'd say that's one you can trust.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
Never understood guys who choose Hockey as a profession and then don't want to play in a city where Hockey actually matters.

I always give the example of Marcel Dionne, imagine if he had played his entire career in Montreal instead of in LA for most of it? The guy had over 1700 career NHL points, over 700 goals, yet barely talked about here.

If you are a great french canadian player, why wouldn't you want to play in Montreal?

Either you become a legend, of you become Marcel Dionne..

Sorry, but easy choice for me.

I agree but I think the reason is some guys just want to play hockey. They don't want to play hockey and be pop-culture icons.

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
i,too very much want vinny in Montreal .I also believe that bergevin wants vinny .TIME to call in the heavy artillery .Get vinny in a room with ,himself ,bergevin and ,,,,,,jean beliveau.

Throw in his mother for good measure. We can pay her off to guilt trip him.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City

Beliveau has already talked to vinny years ago. He is not some tool to be paraded out when we need favors. Lecave can't hold his 80 year old jock.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
The main issue here for most players that consider coming and playing here is the media, the pressure they will have on players, especially French Canadians is way too much, most of them would rather avoid the circus and go to markets that aren't hockey crazy.

In one word, yes, the staff at RDS is the main reason why we can't land elite players. In most sports players dream of playing home, but it's a different thing for our local players and to be honest I don't blame them.

Clippy

Sep 22, 2011
Common Lecavalier! You wear number 4 on your back for Beliveau, you even wanted to play him in the movie "The Rocket". Now you have the chance to officially wear the CH on your front and make history but instead you go to Dallas. Grow a pair!

NFKappaB

Mo Money Mo Problems
Jun 29, 2011
Nova Scotia
This is nothing new, just sports journalists building on the same stuff we've all known and discussed for the past few hours.

That said, I'm really curious what it is that "The Dallas Stars are building" and how Lecavalier would "fit really well into (our plans)". They're a terrible franchise in the middle of nowhere, aimlessly traded and drafted for the past few years and with no recourse in sight. The Habs are leagues closer to being contenders than the friggin Stars.

I'm just gonna save this quote, and I'll get back to you.

prairie hab

Jul 4, 2007
SK
Awaiting the letdown, but I hope we can use the Vinny money and get Iginla for a couple years. Grit, leadership, mentorship for the pups, and is starving for a Cup. He is still motivated unlike Vincent.

Montreal Impact FC

.:| Champ's City |:.
Jun 7, 2012
Montreal
Beliveau has already talked to vinny years ago. He is not some tool to be paraded out when we need favors. Lecave can't hold his 80 year old jock.

Seriously the first second i heard he would be buyout i tought of the habs.. the second i started thinking about it i knew he wouldnt happen... just doesnt have the courage and pride to play here.. so dissapointing the worst is he would be respected here.. but oh well.. i guess he prefers to cash in 2 checks with peace of mind... Mr. 13m/year ? Lol

Marc-E-

Sep 19, 2004
Montréal, Québec
Exactly...I think he genuinely wants/wanted to play in Montreal. But probably expected the Habs to 'back the money truck up' and blow him away with an offer as though this was 5-6 years ago.

I think Bergevin, wisely I might add, showed Vinny and his camp that the Habs are interested naturally. But only under certain salary conditions.

While other teams don't have those same salary restrictions.

Lets see what motivates Vinny...

To remain a legit contender. MB probably explain him that he wants to keep Plekanec and will have the opportunity to play with Pacioretty, Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Eller, Plekanec, Gionta, Bourque etc.

Montreal becomes really attractive for a guy that won't need to be the Dynamo but a complement to the core.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad