The Vincent Lecavalier Thread-Part III: Philly loves dumb contracts (22.5/5, NMC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
The talk of money really bothers me. Why would any professional player want to handicap his new team by asking for 5 M a year, when he is making close to 5 M for the next 2 years from the buyout.

I guess I would want to win more than I would care about the money... but then again, I am not in their shoes.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Very smart move by Bergevin to not roll the dice on 5 years...I think that would look quite bad in about 3.

I could live with 4 years. 5 could also work at long as the salary is lower the last 2 years, makes him attractive for smaller markets.

4 years / 5M$ per

Make it happen, Marc.

I would be ok with that.

2 mil signing bonus.

5.5 mil
5.5 mil
4 mil
3 mil

or 5 years and 24 mil

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
The talk of money really bothers me. Why would any professional player want to handicap his new team by asking for 5 M a year, when he is making close to 5 M for the next 2 years from the buyout.

I guess I would want to win more than I would care about the money... but then again, I am not in their shoes.

He's making a whole lot more than that from his buyout...

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007

I don't think most players would care if they were still getting money from another contract. If he can fetch that money, why wouldn't he?

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
If we sign Vinny, DD won't stay center :laugh: Plekanec won't be 3rd line center :laugh:

Lecavalier played wing a fair bit with Stamkos and on PP, you can also try DD on the wing.

If you get VL you look at moving DD, id the value isn't there hold on for a year. Playing a center at wing isn't a big deal, Carter, Zetterberg Malkin and many other have done it a ton.

SteveArg

Jul 2, 2013

I don't think money will be the issue with Vinny... If he has the desire to play for this city, then a deal will get done. If not, MB should turn his attention to Clarkson who would really fit our needs. If Vinny wasn't available, I'm sure most of us here would want MB to sign Clarkson as no.1 priority for his team.

Ginu

Feb 25, 2009
www.twitter.com
3rd line centre is just on paper... If Pleky plays against top lines, it's obvious he will be playing close to 20 minutes a game with his PK time.....
As for DD, he can only play with Pacioretty and his only usefulness to this team is that he has to put up close to 60pts a year..

I won't adjust my whole lineup to accommodate DD at center ice. I'd bury him in the minors before keeping him in the middle if Vinny comes.

Laboeuf

Apr 14, 2013
Vinny Lecavalier has scored 20+ goals in 13 straight seasons, not since his rookie year he had only 13 goals. With the lockout this season he scored 10 and had it been a full season he would have scored 20+.

Basically the guy has scored 20+ goals in 14 of his 15 seasons in the league, wow.

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
To help his team win. I thought I made that point clear.

Yes, you did. But I still don't think most players would do that. Some do. But 99 percent of them are looking for the best contract. You never know, Vinny might want to play here. But I think the buyout money is irrelevant.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
This board would explode if we signed Vinny to anything under 5 years and moved DD in the process.

The Lecavalier thread on the Trade Rumors forum will be bad if we get him after all the people saying how sure they are he'd never want to come here.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Vinny Lecavalier has scored 20+ goals in 13 straight seasons, not since his rookie year he had only 13 goals. With the lockout this season he scored 10 and had it been a full season he would have scored 20+.

Basically the guy has scored 20+ goals in 14 of his 15 seasons in the league, wow.

Pffffffffffffft. He's a non-dimensional, other-being who hates playing defense and is on the decline because of corrective surgery he's had.

I'm much more comfortable seeing the familiar faces of Pacioretty - Desharnais - Gionta on the PP next season.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
I won't adjust my whole lineup to accommodate DD at center ice. I'd bury him in the minors before keeping him in the middle if Vinny comes.

Anyway, with Vinny, Plek, DD, Eller, Galchenyuk you can just move the guys around and see what works.

Then slowly give Glach and Eller #1/2C duties over the next 2-3 years.

SteveArg

Jul 2, 2013
That's fine too.

That's the joy with having 5 centers - you're not limited anywhere. You can rotate your lines till you find something that sticks because you're not stuck with 3 default guys on every line.

That line-up actually does look pretty good. When Gionta leaves next year, replacing him with someone with some sandpaper would be awesome.

And with all the faceoffs violations we get every game, it's good to have 2 guys who can take faceoffs on our top lines!!

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007

This is nothing new, just sports journalists building on the same stuff we've all known and discussed for the past few hours.

That said, I'm really curious what it is that "The Dallas Stars are building" and how Lecavalier would "fit really well into (our plans)". They're a terrible franchise in the middle of nowhere, aimlessly traded and drafted for the past few years and with no recourse in sight. The Habs are leagues closer to being contenders than the friggin Stars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad