The Vincent Lecavalier Thread - Part II: Bergevin's headache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Pas de nouvelle, bonne nouvelle.

I don't remember the last time we came out on top of a race for a big time UfA.

If we can't come out on top of this one, I won't be surprised but I will be disappointed. Not out of hope for success on the ice but mainly out of pride. The born and raised Montréal native elusive big center who's childhood team was the Habs. Don't ask me why, but it will hurt if we can't get that type of player because of what my perception of the Habs are: the team that every child here dreams of playing for.

My inner 10 year old self(wearing a #44 Richer jersey) will be devastated.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Well Vinny did say that he wanted to go with a winning team....:sarcasm:

Who starts a Brière thread after this one? ;)

Briere is a Nordiques fan...why he passed on us...he will get bood opening night if Habs sign him..lol

ZARTONK

Headscratcher!
Jul 4, 2008
Montreal
If Vinny does not sing here I hope he becomes ennemy public number 1 with Danny Briere.

Why?

He's a UFA, he gets to decide where he signs, just like every other UFA...

There's no need to get emotional about it.

That being said, I'd love to have him here, but I don't feel like he's obligated to...

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
How is $5 million for 5 years a bad thing? If we get him for free and can get 3 good years from him who cares ? We can buy him out for a little more then a million cap hit for 4 years or trade him.

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
I don't remember the last time we came out on top of a race for a big time UfA.

I hear you. I've been following the Canadiens for a while and they NEVER managed to sign an important UFA. I guess I'm going to be less disappointed if he signs elsewhere.

HTTP 400

Sep 1, 2007
Why?

He's a UFA, he gets to decide where he signs, just like every other UFA...

There's no need to get emotional about it.

That being said, I'd love to have him here, but I don't feel like he's obligated to...

I agree. We have enough amazing players on the roster to avoid the drama of Lecavalier snubbing the Habs. It won't be the commotion it'd have been 5 years ago.

Still, fans will probably boo him if he plays for another team at the Bell Center, but he'll "for fun", for entertainment.

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
I hear you. I've been following the Canadiens for a while and they NEVER managed to sign an important UFA. I guess I'm going to be less disappointed if he signs elsewhere.

Gio,Cammy,Cole..

That being said I was most surprised we got Prust. :laugh: A lot of teams wanted him.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
This "finalist" talk reminds me of when Jagr was choosing between Pittsburgh, New York and Montreal, before signing with Philadelphia.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
5 years is brutal, unless you believe that Vinny is the missing piece for a contender to get to the next level right now. If he is insisting on that term, Montreal is not a good fit.

20 years of losing .......Vinny is a massive upgrade ,5 years he's still putting up 50pts...so easy now..You like to see Darche on first line again...good fit

Blows my mind VL not good enough for some Montreal fans..lol

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Eric Engels suggested two hours ago he had a solid source close to Vinny who said Montreal was very much a finalist and still being considered.

Eric Engels is full of **** (E5)

Coldplay

Courage
Aug 21, 2008
Montréal
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 38s
I could be totally wrong, but gut feeling says Boston, Dallas and Detroit top options for Lecavalier if Montreal is a No... but guessing...

LeBrun hasn't jumped on the Dallas train. But he's speculating.

havok78

Jan 3, 2009
Montreal
This is getting ridiculous LOL:

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 57s

I could be totally wrong, but gut feeling says Boston, Dallas and Detroit top options for Lecavalier if Montreal is a No... but guessing...

Canadian_Brewtality

Feb 16, 2005
Ah well

the dream was nice while it lasted.

Sad that we cant even lure hometown guys to the city. Even with new management. I should say, witout overpaying.

IF the reports are true, would love to hear his reasoning, as we know for fact that the habs want to bring him in.

teh doors

ice hockey fan
Nov 15, 2010
Eric Engels suggested two hours ago he had a solid source close to Vinny who said Montreal was very much a finalist and still being considered.

Eric Engels from hockeybuzz is the Garry Valk of reporting but hopefully he's right

Coldplay

Courage
Aug 21, 2008
Montréal
This is getting ridiculous LOL:

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 57s

The fact he and no one else has confirmed it's Dallas other than that mlive reporter gives me a glimmer of hope. :P

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
How is $5 million for 5 years a bad thing? If we get him for free and can get 3 good years from him who cares ? We can buy him out for a little more then a million cap hit for 4 years or trade him.

It's not bad, but 5 years is pushing the limits. With his injury history and age, I don't expect much the 4th and 5th years. If you can front load the deal a bit then it may be easier to move, maybe back to Florida in 3 years.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I never liked Pierre LeBrun. He and all the other "big" reporters like to speculate but rarely offer any scoops. They speculate conservatively and always use caveats and clauses so they seem reasonable but at the end of the day they bring a negligible amount of NEW and/or PERTINENT information to the public.

edit: I realize the posts got deleted by mods but Dallas is an inferior destination to Montreal in every single way except for the taxes.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Lecavalier going to Boston would be the biggest slap in the face. Lucic and Chara will feel loved here as the boos won't be in their direction as much....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad